WW3 Scenario?

wulf42

I must say reading the news in the morning can get quite depressing, It makes me think where is our World heading? With dwindling worldwide natural resources....a more aggressive militaristic Russia/China and North Korea ....spreading ISIS.... USA testing and upgrading their nuclear weapons and Trump possibly winning future President....Turkey(NATO) and Russia tensions after Turkey shot down a Russian Jet. So how long do people here think it will be before this will all leads into an all out conventional world conflict and maybe possibly leading into a full Nuclear exchange between various actors? I think something is going to happen within a 5-10 year span as I can't see this current situation. We all assume common sense will prevail as it has for many years but today commonsense seems to be in short demand.

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/ww3-fears-soar-russia-turkey-big-war-looms-2359136.html

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/south-china-sea-ww3-looms-japan-backs-philippines-beijing-2361251.html

Edited by wulf42

The world has been much worse in the past....

Yes there have been dark times in the past but things seem different today. Russia seems more like a loose cannon and the ISIS/Syria situation isn't helping.

Russia was even worse during the Cold War... invading the Czechezlovakia.... Afghanistan... etc, etc...

And the Midle East was a bastion of peace in the past?

Yemen civil war...

Kurdish-Turkey "war"...

Iran-Iraq war...

millions dead in the 60's to 80's....

Edited by The_Squid

In the 80's it was a real fear that a nuclear war would break out. When Reagan was elected President people said that it would be inevitable that there would be a war.

Only when Gorbachev became the Soviet leader things turned for a better and the fear of a world war subsided. We weren't afraid anymore.

It has only been recently that there has been a real new fear of worldwide confrontation. The first sign was the Ukraine-crisis. The later episodes of the world, or at least Europe, slowly sliding into a chaos and a possible conflict is the latest migrant-crisis where the European governments are seemingly paralysed and unable to make decisions but that is just the surface because they only seem paralysed because the whole crisis is orchestrated and intended to cause turmoil.

In the 80's it was a real fear that a nuclear war would break out. When Reagan was elected President people said that it would be inevitable that there would be a war.

Only when Gorbachev became the Soviet leader things turned for a better and the fear of a world war subsided. We weren't afraid anymore.

It has only been recently that there has been a real new fear of worldwide confrontation. The first sign was the Ukraine-crisis. The later episodes of the world, or at least Europe, slowly sliding into a chaos and a possible conflict is the latest migrant-crisis where the European governments are seemingly paralysed and unable to make decisions but that is just the surface because they only seem paralysed because the whole crisis is orchestrated and intended to cause turmoil.

Honestly I thought when Russia went into the Ukraine that was going to trigger off a major confrontation...hopefully the World will get through ISIS and N Korea situation without a War.

• 2 weeks later...

I think WW II has been romantised to a great degree. After all, unlike WW I which really was a stupid turf-fight between vain European monarchs and carried out by moronic generals, WW II was about defeating an evil ideology and hence the romantism about. Not a lot of Hollywood-movies about WW I, are there?

It makes me think where is our World heading?

Amongst other things, we're accelerating towards an event that I'm betting future historians will come to call The Bottleneck - It borrows from a term that describes the loss of genetic diversity when a population(s) have been impacted due to starvation, disease, over-harvesting or habitat destruction. In an ecosystem that changes from one stable state to another sometime permanent state the interregnum can be a very difficult stressful and often deadly time for the communities of plants and animals that are forced by circumstance to pass though it.

A really good example of a bottleneck is a shrinking water-hole. These are often characterized by animals becoming more competitive, desperate and meaner in the struggle to survive around pools of shrinking vital resources and a narrowing of opportunities - economists use the term bottleneck in similar sorts of contexts and as such a water-hole can be quite accurately likened to a recession or depression.

When a bottleneck happens on a global scale it can precede or attend a mass extinction event that typically marks a new geological epoch. We likely finished crossing the Anthropocene Boundary a century or so ago.

Abstract

We evaluate the boundary of the Anthropocene geological time interval as an epoch, since it is useful to have a consistent temporal definition for this increasingly used unit, whether the presently informal term is eventually formalized or not. Of the three main levels suggested – an ‘early Anthropocene’ level some thousands of years ago; the beginning of the Industrial Revolution at ∼1800 CE (Common Era); and the ‘Great Acceleration’ of the mid-twentieth century – current evidence suggests that the last of these has the most pronounced and globally synchronous signal.

Source.

We're not circling The Bottleneck so much as shooting towards it now.

Edited by eyeball

I think WW II has been romantised to a great degree. After all, unlike WW I which really was a stupid turf-fight between vain European monarchs and carried out by moronic generals, WW II was about defeating an evil ideology and hence the romantism about. Not a lot of Hollywood-movies about WW I, are there?

Like the birth of ISIS, Europe's evil ideology of WW1.2 simply stemmed from the botched ending of the previous mission, WW1.1 We're probably just not recognizing yet that WW1.3, like the Anthropocene Epoch, started some time ago.

Like proverbial frogs in a pot of water.

Edited by eyeball

• 3 weeks later...

Was WWI so stupid?

TSS, you seem to think that WW II was somehow different. I disagree.

=====

Like the Thirty Years War, Europe is struggling again with "multiculturalism". In North America (the new World), we do this differently.

Europe is struggling with nationalism and the ocean of humanity washing up on it's shores is testing it's own. We're dealing with our issues by shipping armoured assault vehicles to one of the vilest dictatorships in the region refugees are fleeing - allies of ours and Europe's too apparently.