Canadians FEAR Trump...Big Time

On 1/12/2020 at 12:57 PM, eyeball said:

It's worse than nothing if all it does is create false hope in the face of the impossible.

I mostly agree with this.  I feel like the UN is a failure in the image of its predecessor, LoN.  It has failed to confront genocides, illegal international aggression by its members, blatant human rights violations (why is Donald Rumsfeld still a free man) and worldwide inequalities.  It has emboldened bad actors and ripened this world for its current predicament--circumstances which, in the early 20th century, plunged the world into depression, authoritarianism, populism and war.

Trump is a symptom of a larger disease.  Just like his ilk in Brazil, India, Turkey and Hungary, we will continue to see more of these thugs until they face some coordinated, international consequence.

Hi Mike,

To borrow a quote from a childhood book of mine, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met." 

I do believe Putin is a thug--I didn't mention him explicitly, because I felt it goes without saying. However, you make my point for me--Russia is a permanent member of the security council & has unilateral veto authority.  Why does a nation led by a "thug" have such power in an organization dedicated to the peace and stability of the world? 

The design of the UN is flawed.  It requires the consensus of nations that routinely spit in the face of what it aims to do. What did it do while U.S. & British interventionism armed genocidal gangs and staged coups in four continents during the Cold War?  What did it do while Russia's war in Chechnya killed thousands?  What about China's Uyghurs concentration camps?  How about the unilateral US invasion of Iraq and civilian casualties?  They issue reports and weak condemnations, but they have no power to stop these things.

Even where its most powerful nations are not directly responsible, the UN has done little to curb human rights disasters.  Armed UN troops on the ground in Rwanda literally kicked their feet up while one of history's fastest genocides happened around them with machetes.  Israeli apartheid in Palestine has been happening for decades now.  They've done nothing to stop the Rohingya massacre.  One of the few successes they can point to is eventually getting peace in the Balkans, but that has  prompted (understandable) criticism that it's really just a European organization that doesn't care about anything outside of its own back yard.

Russia and China are often trotted out as examples for dysfunctional, authoritarian societies--which, in my opinion, they are.  However, pointing to them too often risks averting the light from our own failures.   I do not wish the U.N. to be gone; I wish it to be better.  It needs to be redesigned...and given some teeth.  That will only come when member states are willing to confront each other with real economic and/or military consequences when they violate international human rights standards.

P.S. To Canada's credit, one of the few in the UN who wanted to move on the Hutus before they could murder hundreds of thousands was your own native General Dellaire (hero!). The U.N. held him back and let the mass slaughter happen, but I respect the man for trying.

Edited by AYanker76

2 hours ago, AYanker76 said:

Hi Mike,

To borrow a quote from a childhood book of mine, "A stranger is just a friend you haven't met." 

I do believe Putin is a thug--I didn't mention him explicitly, because I felt it goes without saying. However, you make my point for me--Russia is a permanent member of the security council & has unilateral veto authority.  Why does a nation led by a "thug" have such power in an organization dedicated to the peace and stability of the world? 

The design of the UN is flawed.  It requires the consensus of nations that routinely spit in the face of what it aims to do. What did it do while U.S. & British interventionism armed genocidal gangs and staged coups in four continents during the Cold War?  What did it do while Russia's war in Chechnya killed thousands?  What about China's Uyghurs concentration camps?  How about the unilateral US invasion of Iraq and civilian casualties?  They issue reports and weak condemnations, but they have no power to stop these things.

Even where its most powerful nations are not directly responsible, the UN has done little to curb human rights disasters.  Armed UN troops on the ground in Rwanda literally kicked their feet up while one of history's fastest genocides happened around them with machetes.  Israeli apartheid in Palestine has been happening for decades now.  They've done nothing to stop the Rohingya massacre.  One of the few successes they can point to is eventually getting peace in the Balkans, but that has  prompted (understandable) criticism that it's really just a European organization that doesn't care about anything outside of its own back yard.

Russia and China are often trotted out as examples for dysfunctional, authoritarian societies--which, in my opinion, they are.  However, pointing to them too often risks averting the light from our own failures.   I do not wish the U.N. to be gone; I wish it to be better.  It needs to be redesigned...and given some teeth.  That will only come when member states are willing to confront each other with real economic and/or military consequences when they violate international human rights standards.

P.S. To Canada's credit, one of the few in the UN who wanted to move on the Hutus before they could murder hundreds of thousands was your own native General Dellaire (hero!). The U.N. held him back and let the mass slaughter happen, but I respect the man for trying.

The UN, while important, has too many kill switches built into it by the permanent Security Council members, who seldom have unanimous agreement.

I think the only way to prevent human rights abuses and massive trade imbalances is to attach conditions on labour standards, the environment, and human rights to trade agreements, which could consist of free trade among a massive block of states that agree to abide by these minimum standards.  States that wish to trade with member states of this block either have to comply to enjoy free trade or face a sliding scale of penalties/limitations on trade depending on the level of compliance.  Such a block would have nothing to do with the UN, as the UN represents countries with a wide range of standards and opposing ideological viewpoints.

Full member states of such a trading block would have to maintain a certain minimum level of democracy and rights/freedoms.  Money is a great motivator.  Such a block would also enjoy great security, as it could also be a defensive military alliance.  Eventually the success of such a block would likely have a transformative impact on the UN and its agencies like the WTO and WHO, because success breeds success.  It’s certainly the only realistic way to counter abuses of countries like China and Russia.  It also keeps the door open to those countries and other countries with sketchy histories to be better and enjoy better quality of life.  Meet the standards and enjoy the full benefits of membership.

China would have to improve its wages and standards for labour and the environment, which would reduce the trade imbalance with western countries but also raise living standards and improve stability and democracy for the Chinese.

It’s also a further protection from dictatorship everywhere.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pandemics expose  a lot of things...and a deeper FEAR of Trump in Canada:

Coronavirus shows why Canada must reduce its dependence on the U.S.

...But as COVID-19 radicalizes the already radical presidency of Donald Trump, Canada may be forced to confront its dependence on the U.S. more directly and with greater urgency.

Short-lived tensions — including Trump’s unsuccessful attempt to halt exports of masks to Canada and his musings about stationing troops near the border — may be harbingers of longer term restrictions, disagreements or spillover effects that slow or stifle Canada’s attempt to rebound from the current crisis.

Worse, the rise of nationalism and geopolitical competition points to the likelihood of a fragmented international order built around a handful of large protectionist or self-sufficient power blocs. Liberal principles of free trade and movement may come under increasing pressure, leaving Canada particularly vulnerable to the whims of protectionist powers.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-shows-why-canada-must-reduce-its-dependence-on-the-u-s-136357

Edited by bush_cheney2004

• 2 weeks later...

Where did Mike's friend go

Tehran, Moscow or Buffalo

Why is that when someone's fly is undone

And its pointed out they run...

Well  they  establish for real

What they point out is no big deal

But since I gotta stay home

They incite me to write a poem

With the words above

Which I now onclude with the title,  To Russia With Love

Oscar Wilde

Edited by Rue

8 hours ago, Rue said:

Where did Mike's friend go

Tehran, Moscow or Buffalo...

I'm still here.  I live in Nevada, by the way.  Ordinarily, I'd commend you for your vigilance to the massive and successful Russian campaign to stoke division between U.S. and it's allies.  However, continuing to passively-aggressively accuse me of being a Russian troll come to sow discord on a low-traffic forum with a handful of posts is unlikely, somewhat irrational and above all, incorrect.

I like Canadians, because I feel that, except for the ones who live in mystical land called Alberta, you folks are generally not crazy and relatively human.  My primary goal right now is to get there so that I can live my life in peace without having to constantly worry about crossing paths with some angry, armed sociopath that the U.S. is producing at never-before-seen rates.

As soon as the IELTS testing centers reopen, I'll take my English exam and my application will be on its way.

On 5/19/2020 at 12:17 AM, AYanker76 said:

I'm still here.  I live in Nevada, by the way.  Ordinarily, I'd commend you for your vigilance to the massive and successful Russian campaign to stoke division between U.S. and it's allies.  However, continuing to passively-aggressively accuse me of being a Russian troll come to sow discord on a low-traffic forum with a handful of posts is unlikely, somewhat irrational and above all, incorrect.

I like Canadians, because I feel that, except for the ones who live in mystical land called Alberta, you folks are generally not crazy and relatively human.  My primary goal right now is to get there so that I can live my life in peace without having to constantly worry about crossing paths with some angry, armed sociopath that the U.S. is producing at never-before-seen rates.

As soon as the IELTS testing centers reopen, I'll take my English exam and my application will be on its way.

Uh yah Nevada.  I come from sperm and an egg.Guess whose explanation can be verified. Oh go on.Nevada. No. Kansas. Dorothy told me.

Listen, the need to stereotype all Canadians in one lump identity as well as yourself with the label Yank,  everytime you do respond is lame. 

Next,  can you share a thought other than you don't like the US and want Canadians to dislike the US too. Your comments incite people to find ways to share  dislike of the US using Trump as the buzz word to do it.

Like its overk kill Boris. Spend some time with Natasha before she runs away with the Moose.

God Bless Aunty Emm.

Regards,

Flying Monkey Squadron member 009, Wally Cox, Don Adams

Edited by Rue

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:48 PM, Rue said:

...Next,  can you share a thought other than you don't like the US and want Canadians to dislike the US too. Your comments incite people to find ways to share  dislike of the US using Trump as the buzz word to do it.

I know...right ?    It doesn't take much to expose the Canadian hatred for the Americans and their "government"....long before Trump.

Here is just another example of how much energy some Canadians expend to get their hate on, while a minority bucks the trend.

Who are the Trump-loving Canadians?

Philippe J. Fournier: Thirty per cent of Conservative supporters would prefer Trump to Trudeau as a leader. That's a problem for a party needing to widen its base.

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/who-are-the-trump-loving-canadians/

• 1 month later...

The Trudeau government is still afraid of Trump....but takes this opportunity to loosen Freeland's tight control that has not gone so well in the past.

The Prime Minister's Office is adopting a new approach to managing its most-important economic, security and bilateral relationship, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation. 

More ministers will now be dealing directly with their U.S. counterparts as Ottawa takes a step back from its rigidly controlled approach to dealing with the Trump administration. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/freeland-us-relationship-1.5692097

• 1 month later...

As usual, Canada approaches another foreign election in the United States with sphincters set to very high pucker factor because those damn Americans have so much influence...no lessons have been learned in Canada from elections past.

Seems it is better to worry about the possible disruption of north-south trade with Trump or Biden rather than improve and remove barriers for more east-west trade between provinces.  

Maybe these Canadians hate each other more than they hate the volatility and dependence on trade with the world's largest economy.

Whether it's Joe Biden or Donald Trump, America's choice will alter Alberta's future

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe these Canadians hate each other more than they hate the volatility and dependence on trade with the world's largest economy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalinterest.org/feature/china-now-world%E2%80%99s-largest-economy-we-shouldn%E2%80%99t-be-shocked-170719%3famp

Well if they'd stop kidnapping our citizens you might have a point.  

Just now, Cannucklehead said:

Yes they went there to live and work, not rot in a jail cell because of someone else's problems.  

There is a difference.  

And they are still there because Trudeau was too weak to make a deal.    Hell, there are over 900 Canadians "rotting" in U.S. prisons as convicted criminals...a lot more than "two Michaels".

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

And they are still there because Trudeau was too weak to make a deal.    Hell, there are over 900 Canadians "rotting" in U.S. prisons as convicted criminals...a lot more than "two Michaels".

Ah yes make a deal with China.  Sure, just get trump to drop all charges against Meng and I bet Trudeau would swap.  

2 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Ah yes make a deal with China.  Sure, just get trump to drop all charges against Meng and I bet Trudeau would swap. 

Jesus Christ...stop worrying so much about Trump !

Trump did not issue the warrant...it was a U.S. federal court for the Eastern District of New York based on Obama era sanctions against Iran. 

It would take brass balls to trade Meng for Michaels, so Trudeau obviously could/would not do it.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Jesus Christ...stop worrying so much about Trump !

Trump did not issue the warrant...it was a U.S. federal court for the Eastern District of New York based on Obama era sanctions against Iran. 

It would take brass balls to trade Meng for Michaels, so Trudeau obviously could/would not do it.

Well seeing as how trump backed out of the nuclear deal with iran and put down  new sanctions against them I'd be worried.  

Well seeing as how trump backed out of the nuclear deal with iran and put down  new sanctions against them I'd be worried.  

Why ?   Meng committed bank fraud, which is also a crime in Canada.

Why does Canada worry so much about such things ?

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Why ?   Meng committed bank fraud, which is also a crime in Canada.

Why does Canada worry so much about such things ?

Do you really think we're interested in seeing another war in the middle east?  Frankly I would hope that after Iraq and Afghanistan Canada would leave it to the u.s. to clean up their own mess, but I doubt it.  

Edited by Cannucklehead

Do you really think we're interested in seeing another war in the middle east?  Frankly I would hope that after Iraq and Afghanistan Canada would leave it to the u.s. to clean up their own mess, but I doubt it.  

Then be done with it without so much bitching and moaning.   Trudeau is still exporting APCs to Saudi Arabia so they can kick Yemen's ass.

Freeland begged Trump to continue protecting the "post WW2 order".

It is little wonder that China sees Canada & Trudeau as a big piñata.

6 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Then be done with it without so much bitching and moaning.   Trudeau is still exporting APCs to Saudi Arabia so they can kick Yemen's ass.

Freeland begged Trump to continue protecting the "post WW2 order".

It is little wonder that China sees Canada & Trudeau as a big piñata.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/statement-president-donald-j-trump-standing-saudi-arabia/

On the other hand, Saudi Arabia would gladly withdraw from Yemen if the Iranians would agree to leave. They would immediately provide desperately needed humanitarian assistance. Additionally, Saudi Arabia has agreed to spend billions of dollars in leading the fight against Radical Islamic Terrorism.

Yemen's ass or iran's?  -_-