Canadians FEAR Trump...Big Time

I disagree with most of what Trump says, but I find the fact that he doesn't care what anyone thinks refreshing. Most politicians try to craft their words so that they are only saying what they think you want to hear -- often saying one thing to one group, and another thing to the next.

I'd rather vote for someone who I know is telling me what he really means (even if I don't like it), than for someone who tells me what I like but doesn't believe his own words.

Just another election cycle in the USA, but this time there is a new wrinkle. Despite claims that American voters are supporting Trump (or Sanders) out of fear instead of anger and disillusionment, polling results "north of the border" suggest that the true source of any such "fear" actually comes from Canada.

Nearly two-in-three of Canadian voters surveyed — 65 percent — said they feared the very prospect of Donald Trump getting elected president of the United States, while 23 percent said they did not. The survey, conducted by Canadian polling firm Leger and sponsored by the newspapers Le Journal de Montréal and Le Devoir, also found majority support for Hillary Clinton becoming the 45th president.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/does-canada-like-trump-219017

So why do polled Canadians, and by extension many other Canadians, FEAR Donald Trump's election campaign and possible U.S. term as president ?

What are the reasons for such FEAR compared to other candidates and previous presidents ?

Is the FEAR rational ?

What do fearful Canadians think a President Trump means to them or their lives across the border ?

Why are they so afraid ?

The 'fear' is reasonable, even if one may favor him in any way.

Remember how he stated how he'd build a wall on the Mexican border and then make them pay for it? While many even in Mexico could 'agree' possibly to certain realities that Trump could raise of those entering the U.S., this demonstrates reasonable concern to be wary of Trump for his Nationalism (if actually sincere).

Similarly, for Canadians, we'd likely lose if and where the strength of resolve of a potential leader in the U.S. comes along who openly demonstrates their willingness to ABSOLUTELY discriminate at all causes against non-insiders (non-U.S. citizens) AND to a very great degree.

I disagree with most of what Trump says, but I find the fact that he doesn't care what anyone thinks refreshing. Most politicians try to craft their words so that they are only saying what they think you want to hear -- often saying one thing to one group, and another thing to the next.

I'd rather vote for someone who I know is telling me what he really means (even if I don't like it), than for someone who tells me what I like but doesn't believe his own words.

There's a reason politicians do that; they are supposed to be servants. A megalomaniac who doesn't give a crap what the people think is a dictator, whether elected or not.

So you would rather vote for someone where you disagree with most of what they say?

The 'fear' is reasonable, even if one may favor him in any way.

The FEAR is irrational given the LOVE bestowed by Canadians on President Obama and his actual policy decisions (e.g. Keystone XL, NSA spying, etc.).

Remember how he stated how he'd build a wall on the Mexican border and then make them pay for it? While many even in Mexico could 'agree' possibly to certain realities that Trump could raise of those entering the U.S., this demonstrates reasonable concern to be wary of Trump for his Nationalism (if actually sincere).

Perfect example...the United States has already built miles of walls on the Mexican-U.S. border. The "vast majority" of Americans (including many Hispanics) do not support illegal immigration into the United States. Why do some Canadian/Mexican nationals presume unfettered access to the United States ?

Similarly, for Canadians, we'd likely lose if and where the strength of resolve of a potential leader in the U.S. comes along who openly demonstrates their willingness to ABSOLUTELY discriminate at all causes against non-insiders (non-U.S. citizens) AND to a very great degree.

Canadians who overstay visas or violate other U.S. laws should already be afraid of the existing administration. Obama has deported over 2,000,000 people, including Canadians. Now that's discrimination !

Don't kid yourself. There's plenty of Canadians who hate Obama. Some of them even post here. But like you always say, it doesn't matter what Canadians think. So what is your point here?

They LOVED candidate Obama in 2008, so much so, 15% of polled Canadians would have given up their vote in Canada to be part of the U.S. election instead. So on one hand we had irrational LOVE and ADMIRATION, and today we have irrational HATE and DISDAIN.

My point here is obvious.

They LOVED candidate Obama in 2008, so much so, 15% of polled Canadians would have given up their vote in Canada to be part of the U.S. election instead. So on one hand we had irrational LOVE and ADMIRATION, and today we have irrational HATE and DISDAIN.

Well as "obvious" as usual.

White supremacist and former KKK grand wizard David Duke (who is American) has told his listeners (this guy has a radio program!!) that failing to vote for Trump is 'treason to your heritage'.

He encouraged his listeners to get out and volunteer for Trump saying

Go in there, you’re gonna meet people who are going to have the same kind of mind-set that you have.

This sounds like it might have come from the Onion and I wish I were making this up. :(

The US has survived moron presidents before, It will survive this one if it happens. It will be interesting to watch the circus when The Donald runs up against the reality of not being the boss of everything and has to deal with a Congress where he might have a majority of Republicans and Democrats against him and a SC which is also not impressed by his bluster.

Then we will find out just how good he is at making deals.

Edited by Wilber

Trump has the highest negatives of anybody in the race and 65% of his own party are against him. As soon as either Rubio or Cruz fold and stop the vote split, the current picture will change. I don't think there is all that much to fear about Trump.

I fear Cruz. I don't think Trump believes the crap he spouts. The man is just a megalomaniac who is successfully using the age old Republican Southern Strategy and shock to court the racist, uneducated white vote and get free airtime from the networks. I think Cruz on the other hand, believes the dangerous, regressive, Christian BS he spouts.

I'm not sure if Rubio is as religious as he seems or if he has to fake a certain amount of it to win the wingnut nomination.

Edited by Guest

You want to check that again? That Environics poll you're citing showed that the majority of Canadians didn't give a crap whether the winner was a democrat or republican. The 15%ers were hardly giving up their vote specifically for Obama as you suggest.

And that same survey showed that half of Canadians believed that the results of the US election either didn't matter at all or only somewhat mattered.

With the majority not caring who wins and half the respondents not thinking the US election really matters, I think your interpretation of the numbers might be more than a little biased.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/15-of-canadians-would-rather-vote-in-u-s-election-survey-1.760648

And yet still, you refuse to address the number of Americans who fear Trump with irrelevant trolling about what Canadians might think when you've said numerous times, it doesn't matter what Canadians think. You seem to spend an awful lot of time and energy researching and discussing what Canadians think for something that supposedly matters so little to you.

Edited by cybercoma

And yet still, you refuse to address the number of Americans who fear Trump with irrelevant trolling about what Canadians might think when you've said numerous times, it doesn't matter what Canadians think. You seem to spend an awful lot of time and energy researching and discussing what Canadians think for something that supposedly matters so little to you.

And yet, polled Canadians FEAR Trump. Of course it doesn't matter what Canadians think about Trump, but it certainly matters to them!

I fear Cruz. I don't think Trump believes the crap he spouts. The man is just a megalomaniac who is successfully using the age old Republican Southern Strategy and shock to court the racist, uneducated white vote and get free airtime from the networks. I think Cruz on the other hand, believes the dangerous, regressive, Christian BS he spouts.

I'm not sure if Rubio is as religious as he seems or if he has to fake a certain amount of it to win the wingnut nomination.

Haven't really followed it all that much but from what I have heard, I would tend to agree the Rubio seems a little more real and a little less scary than the other two. I wouldn't doubt Cruz does believe the wingnut stuff he spouts, just look at the venue where he launched his campaign. Trump is of course all over the map: he wants to kick out Muslim's, then he wants to impeach Bush for Iraq. Maybe he will be able to launch a new game show out of his experiences on the Trump stump.

There's a reason politicians do that; they are supposed to be servants.

Lying doesn't make you a servant. Telling the truth about your intentions, even if it's not popular is far more serving.

A megalomaniac who doesn't give a crap what the people think is a dictator, whether elected or not.

A person who only has power if the people decide to give it to him is not a dictator.

I think US billionaires fear the Donald. Trump has successfully used the media to cheaply spread his message and target the star Republican demographic of uneducated, whites. As Colbert said "this billionaire having his way with our election is shocking and unthinkable to the billionaires who [usually] have their way with our elections."

Edited by Guest

I think US billionaires fear the Donald. Trump has successfully used the media to cheaply spread his message and target the star Republican demographic of uneducated, whites. As Colbert said "this billionaire having his way with our election is shocking and unthinkable to the billionaires who [usually] have their way with our elections."

People are sick of America making bad deals and being humiliated around the world. They want someone to make America great again. Bad trade deals, bad military deals, bad nuclear deals, etc.

People are sick of America making bad deals and being humiliated around the world. They want someone to make America great again. Bad trade deals, bad military deals, bad nuclear deals, etc.

You think having Trump at the helm wouldn't be humiliating? Some of the US biggest allies have discussed having him banned from their countries. And that DJ in Cape Breton who started up a tongue in cheek talk and website inviting US "refugees" to his province should Trump actually win, has been getting a significant amount of serious inquiries. Hey, maybe he's onto something.

The US has survived moron presidents before, It will survive this one if it happens. It will be interesting to watch the circus when The Donald runs up against the reality of not being the boss of everything and has to deal with a Congress where he might have a majority of Republicans and Democrats against him and a SC which is also not impressed by his bluster.

Then we will find out just how good he is at making deals.

The irony is that it's this inability to get anything done that's fueled much of the anger he's tapped into. His voters don't want deals they want a strongman of action.

The irony is that it's this inability to get anything done that's fueled much of the anger he's tapped into. His voters don't want deals they want a strongman of action.

That's not the way the US system works. The people who wrote their Constitution did so in a way that was intended to prevent a strong man from excercising too much power. It seems many Americans want a Putin.

Edited by Wilber

You think having Trump at the helm wouldn't be humiliating? Some of the US biggest allies have discussed having him banned from their countries. And that DJ in Cape Breton who started up a tongue in cheek talk and website inviting US "refugees" to his province should Trump actually win, has been getting a significant amount of serious inquiries. Hey, maybe he's onto something.

But that's awful! I was looking at NS as a potential retirement spot. Now I won't be able to afford it.

Trump cannot be allowed to become POTUS. Not if it's going to affect me personally.

Edited by bcsapper