Canadians FEAR Trump...Big Time

Just another election cycle in the USA, but this time there is a new wrinkle. Despite claims that American voters are supporting Trump (or Sanders) out of fear instead of anger and disillusionment, polling results "north of the border" suggest that the true source of any such "fear" actually comes from Canada.

Nearly two-in-three of Canadian voters surveyed — 65 percent — said they feared the very prospect of Donald Trump getting elected president of the United States, while 23 percent said they did not. The survey, conducted by Canadian polling firm Leger and sponsored by the newspapers Le Journal de Montréal and Le Devoir, also found majority support for Hillary Clinton becoming the 45th president.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/does-canada-like-trump-219017

So why do polled Canadians, and by extension many other Canadians, FEAR Donald Trump's election campaign and possible U.S. term as president ?

What are the reasons for such FEAR compared to other candidates and previous presidents ?

Is the FEAR rational ?

What do fearful Canadians think a President Trump means to them or their lives across the border ?

Why are they so afraid ?

So why do polled Canadians, and by extension many other Canadians, FEAR Donald Trump's election campaign and possible U.S. term as president ?

What are the reasons for such FEAR compared to other candidates and previous presidents ?

Donald Trump appears (at least during the campaign) to be completely incompetent. Mean spirited (whereas a president needs to be diplomatic to a certain degree), unable to engage in rational debate (e.g. dropping out of one of the republican debates because he didn't like the terms), and what few policy ideas he's given have been poorly thought out (e.g. make Mexico pay for a wall). Many of his comments during the election have been... questionable (e.g. Muslims celebrating 9/11); you'd think someone attempting to run for the most powerful position in the world would do a little fact checking before hand.

And its not just his actions during the election that are questionable but also his past record... remember, he's a businessman who was basically given everything he needed right at the start (i.e. can't really say he's a "self made man".). He's also declared bankruptcy multiple times. (I do recognize that, in the business world, declaring bankruptcy is often useful to prevent a business from shutting down and give it time to reorganize... still, he managed to rack up huge amounts of debt. Not exactly the type of attitude you'd want the president to take.)

The problem is, even if Trump doesn't specifically do anything to target Canada, having such an incompetent person in charge of the U.S. (a country with which we have strong economic and social ties) might just end up dragging us down along with the U.S.

ETA:

And never forget, Donald Trump wants to bang his daughter.

http://www.gq.com/story/donald-trump-ivanka-sex-trevor-noah-daily-show

Edited by segnosaur

What do fearful Canadians think a President Trump means to them or their lives across the border ?

The only fear I have at this point is what changes he will make to NAFTA if any. My company does a fair amount of business in the US and any changes to NAFTA may have a significant impact on our business.

....The problem is, even if Trump doesn't specifically do anything to target Canada, having such an incompetent person in charge of the U.S. (a country with which we have strong economic and social ties) might just end up dragging us down along with the U.S.

But many Canadians proudly define their very identities as NOT AMERICAN, and independent of American policies (e.g. Iraq War). The extreme FEAR does not seem consistent with the present and previous U.S. presidents that have targeted Canada economically (e.g. President Obama).

So why is a potential President Trump not judged at least by the same benchmarks ?

Ironically, Trump has been exposed to Canadians for decades because Canada voluntarily watches so much American media. Even Trump's name rides high on the Toronto skyline.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

The only fear I have at this point is what changes he will make to NAFTA if any. My company does a fair amount of business in the US and any changes to NAFTA may have a significant impact on our business.

Abrogating NAFTA has been standard fare in Canadian politics for years, nothing different when Trump says it for the USA audience.

Why would Trump's election season rhetoric be any more credible or significant ? Is it because Canadians believe Trump when he says it, and fear he will do what he says, unlike other garden variety politicians ?

That's my theory...and part of Trump's success/appeal.

Donald Trump does not strike me as the kind of guy you give nuclear weapons to.

So why is a potential President Trump not judged at least by the same benchmarks ?

Protectionism is always an issue but Trump is an a class of his own. I realize many people want to support Trump because they want to stick it to the entrenched elites but it is worth looking at Toronto's experience with Doug Ford if one wants to understand the risks of putting an anti-elitist moron in charge just because you want to stick it to the entrenched elites.

The president does not own America's nuclear weapons, and the U.S. national command authority to use strategic nuclear weapons does not depend on one person's decision.

The reality is that Donald Trump is hated and loathed by Canadians because he is everything that they pretend to be against and superior to. He is the anti-Trudeau, and unlike Canadians, apologizes for nothing.

Donald Trump is the ultimate "Ugly American"...and Canadians fear he might be President of the United States.

Fascinating.....

Protectionism is always an issue but Trump is an a class of his own. I realize many people want to support Trump because they want to stick it to the entrenched elites but it is worth looking at Toronto's experience with Doug Ford if one wants to understand the risks of putting an anti-elitist moron in charge just because you want to stick it to the entrenched elites.

Doesn't matter....American voters do not pay much attention to such impacts on Canada any more than Canadians think about a PM's impact on the United States. Further to this point, should Hillary Clinton win, there is no guarantee that Canada won't suffer the same (or worse) economic fate (e.g. Keystone XL still not approved). But Trump is downright FEARED...not Clinton.

But Trump is downright FEARED...not Clinton.

I am not disagreeing with you and speaking as someone who had been hoping for a Republican in the whitehouse I would say I would prefer Clinton, warts and all, over Trump for the reasons eloquently stated by segnosaur above. His presidency would be a disaster for the US and a disaster for the world.

But many Canadians proudly define their very identities as NOT AMERICAN, and independent of American policies (e.g. Iraq War).

I think that even those with the strongest anti-american sentiment probably at least accept the fact that, regardless of how isolated we make ourselves, the U.S. will always have an impact on us and the world.

For example, Canada did not send troops to Iraq, but that doesn't mean that the effects of that war did not affect us (and the middle east) in some way. And bad economic decisions in the U.S. will impact our economy here.

The extreme FEAR does not seem consistent with the present and previous U.S. presidents that have targeted Canada economically (e.g. President Obama).

As I pointed out, it probably has little to do with Trump "targeting" Canada; probably more in the "he's going to drive the U.S. into trouble and we'll be dragged along with them".

The president does not own America's nuclear weapons, and the U.S. national command authority to use strategic nuclear weapons does not depend on one person's decision.

Could be that the poster bringing up nuclear weapons was engaging in a little hyperbole.

Even if the president doesn't singularly control the U.S. nuclear arsenal, they do have some authority in deploying conventional military forces. And some people might question whether we want to give that authority to someone who's plan to stop Isis is to use bullets coated in pigs blood.

The reality is that Donald Trump is hated and loathed by Canadians because he is everything that they pretend to be against and superior to. He is the anti-Trudeau, and unlike Canadians, apologizes for nothing.

Keep in mind that not everyone who is against Trump is for Trudeau. I voted conservative in the last election. I consider Trudeau to be an idiot. Yet I dislike the idea of a Trump presidency.

As for his apologies... maybe he actually should consider issuing a few. Many of his statements have been outright falsehoods and quite insulting to many.

I am not disagreeing with you and speaking as someone who had been hoping for a Republican in the whitehouse I would say I would prefer Clinton, warts and all, over Trump for the reasons eloquently stated by segnosaur above. His presidency would be a disaster for the US and a disaster for the world.

So it is an irrational FEAR, independent of identical actions or policies from Trump or Clinton. "Disaster" for the US /world confirms this "feeling".

So it is an irrational FEAR, independent of identical actions or policies from Trump or Clinton.

No - it is a well founded fear based on the well documented actions of Trump in the past. And unlike some Canadians I am not reflexively anti-American and often support the Republican party policies. Trump is trouble and I hope Americans realize that before it is too late.

I would turn the question on you: can you point to anything in Trump's history that would suggest he would do well in his job a president?

Edited by TimG

I think that even those with the strongest anti-american sentiment probably at least accept the fact that, regardless of how isolated we make ourselves, the U.S. will always have an impact on us and the world.

As do/does many other nations, but their candidates are not FEARED in Canada. The United States has a large impact on Canada because Canada has purposely integrated its economy, military, etc. with the USA.

For example, Canada did not send troops to Iraq, but that doesn't mean that the effects of that war did not affect us (and the middle east) in some way. And bad economic decisions in the U.S. will impact our economy here.

And yet candidate Clinton has/will make identical decisions...but no FEAR ?

As I pointed out, it probably has little to do with Trump "targeting" Canada; probably more in the "he's going to drive the U.S. into trouble and we'll be dragged along with them".

This is a very old Canadian refrain, regardless of U.S. elections or presidents. This is a Canadian problem/issue, not American.

Could be that the poster bringing up nuclear weapons was engaging in a little hyperbole.

Even if the president doesn't singularly control the U.S. nuclear arsenal, they do have some authority in deploying conventional military forces. And some people might question whether we want to give that authority to someone who's plan to stop Isis is to use bullets coated in pigs blood.

Agreed...most members here have no idea how U.S. nuclear weapons are controlled or released. More ignorance and FEAR.

Again, previous presidents have routinely deployed conventional forces. Obama sure did. No Canadian FEAR then....why now ?

Keep in mind that not everyone who is against Trump is for Trudeau. I voted conservative in the last election. I consider Trudeau to be an idiot. Yet I dislike the idea of a Trump presidency.

As for his apologies... maybe he actually should consider issuing a few. Many of his statements have been outright falsehoods and quite insulting to many.

This is by design....Trump is banking on backlash sentiment(s) to drive his candidacy. He can always apologize later.

No - it is a well founded fear based on the well documented actions of Trump in the past. And unlike some Canadians I am not reflexively anti-American and often support the Republican party policies. Trump is trouble and I hope Americans realize that before it is too late.

When I say it is an irrational fear, I am pointing specifically to the inconsistency and lack of FEAR for previous candidates and presidents who have actually done the very things Canadians were/are afraid of.

Americans should pick their next president regardless of any fear in Canada or other nations. It is a secondary foreign policy issue no more important than how much Obama loves Trudeau.

I would turn the question on you: can you point to anything in Trump's history that would suggest he would do well in his job a president?

Trump has had many successes and failures as a developer and businessman. He is the embodiment of the very financial class that has such a large impact on the American economy. He understands the power of American media better than any candidate since Ronald Reagan. He speaks directly without caution, just like Harry Truman.

Remember, Rob Ford got elected in Toronto, too.

Remember, Rob Ford got elected in Toronto, too.

And how did that work out for the people of Toronto?

He understands the power of American media better than any candidate since Ronald Reagan.

Except Reagan had a positive vision for the country. Trump has no vision - just random rants about whatever topic will get him air time. Edited by TimG

Why are they so afraid ?

Donald Trump is the ultimate "Ugly American"...and Canadians fear he might be President of the United States.

But Trump is downright FEARED...not Clinton.

uhhh... I guess if you really want to take liberties with 1500 online survey participants from a single city and extrapolate that to "ALL Canadians"! :lol: Notwithstanding the pitiful headline antics of a journalistic/editor reaching for the "terrified" hyperbole label! I'm shocked you would gravitate towards this! Shocked I tells ya - shocked!

Why do American's fear Trump is the real question here.

bingo! An end of January Gallup Poll of "Americans" has Trump with a 60% unfavourable rating... a recent days USA TODAY/Suffolk University poll has Trump with the highest "scared" level for presidential candidates of either party among "Americans":

TrumpScary.png

I think he probably inspires contempt but also has leadership qualities as well.

Agreed...Trump appeals to both sides of the same coin.

In 1998, Jesse "The Body" Ventura ran for governor of my state against veteran politicians, including Hubert H. Humphrey's son. He was so outside the box that many people voted for him....including me. It was fun...not fear, and the world did not end after Ventura became governor.

Edited by bush_cheney2004