Britain Sets Date for EU Referendum -- Brexit

scribblet

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened was the fact people are sick and tired of being told how to live and whom to live with. This is mainly over the immigration/migration that is going on. People are sick of having diversity shoved down their throats and called a racist if you disagree.

This is more about economics. I'd almost expect Germany to announce similar action.

Britain has had the lowest level of unemployment under current conservative government for many years...

I think the economic issues that caused most concern were things like benefits and transfer payments. Billions of pounds went to the EU annualy and the money that came back, in the form of things like grants, had conditions attached. The NHS is struggling to stay afloat and a lot of people think that money could help.

Scotland and Northern Ireland majority voted to stay in EU. Already there is talk of a separation vote in both areas.

UK (minus) Scotland and Northern Ireland (equals) England.

"Rule, (Old England) rule the waves - (except for waters around Northern Ireland and Scotland)
"(The English) never will be slaves."

they sure showed them there elites... so what if their economy tanks... and their 'kingdom' falls apart - they sure showed em'!

I thought the economy was supposed to be a top priority for conservatives. Clearly it's not.

I think the economic issues that caused most concern were things like benefits and transfer payments. Billions of pounds went to the EU annualy and the money that came back, in the form of things like grants, had conditions attached. The NHS is struggling to stay afloat and a lot of people think that money could help.

Under George Osbourne the benefits were cut substantially. One of the most effective chancellors UK has had for many years...

Reality is some of british workers are damn lazy. A pole or someone from eastern european will do the same job at better quality and fraction of the labour charge. It's business! And that's what keeps the economy competitive. And then you see some of these xenophobic morons winging about immigration shadowing their own incompetence. It's a cold fact!

Edited by kactus

Sad thing is, as much of an idiot as Trump is, he very likely might win the presidency because there are simply so many people who have been marginalized by mainstream politics and politicians for so long, that they will vote for a complete moron just because he is talking about a concern they have rather than calling them racists for having it.

In other words, anti-immigrant voters will vote for a "complete moron" and their own economic demise just to keep immigrants out.

Funny how you think it somehow redeems their argument. I think it makes the correlation between (lack of) intelligence and xenophobia.

Edited by BC_chick

Under George Osbourne the benefits were cut substantially. One of the most effective chancellors UK has had for many years...

Reality is some of british workers are damn lazy. A pole or someone from eastern european will do the same job at better quality and fraction of the labour charge. It's business! And you see these mirons winging their frustration shadowing their own incompetence with immigration. It's a cold fact!

I blame the trades unions.

It's also hilarious if they think this frees them of their obligations under the UN for handling refugees. Nothing changes. Even their trade obligations will be determined by the EU, unless they're stupid enough to think they can get away with not trading with the EU.

They don't hold much power any longer...

No, but they did give people the idea that they could earn a decent wage without being called lazy.

Still, I do believe the main economic argument was the transfer of funds, and the conditions set on the return of those the EU graciously handed back.

It's like BC sending money to Ottawa to be shared amongst the provinces, and then being told they have to buy library books with the bit that comes back.

It's also hilarious if they think this frees them of their obligations under the UN for handling refugees. Nothing changes. Even their trade obligations will be determined by the EU, unless they're stupid enough to think they can get away with not trading with the EU.

That is my view. The whole argument around immigration is baseless for exiting EU. There is no economic argument there...

Edited by kactus

Scotland and Northern Ireland majority voted to stay in EU. Already there is talk of a separation vote in both areas.

UK (minus) Scotland and Northern Ireland (equals) England.

You are forgetting a country doing rather well at Euro 2016. Great singers too:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-show-wales-been-one-11517412

Surprisingly, to me anyway, they voted for Leave.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

You are forgetting a country doing rather well at Euro 2016. Great singers too:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stats-show-wales-been-one-11517412

....yes and all thanks to Gareth Bale...

On a serious note though the majority of votes for Wales is in exit camp. How would that make an independent Wales stronger?

Edited by kactus

In other words, anti-immigrant voters will vote for a "complete moron" and their own economic demise just to keep immigrants out.

Funny how you think it somehow redeems their argument. I think it makes the correlation between (lack of) intelligence and xenophobia.

Well stated!! :D

Am I reading this right? The leave side is having second regrets and now blaming it on the remain side.

The leave side you say. You lump millions of people under one label entitled "leave side" then you claim this entire group wrote something.

How you can label so many people and think you know what they all think is not a matter of being right or wrong, but with due respect delusional.

This is more about economics. I'd almost expect Germany to announce similar action.

I don't think so. I think what we'll see is a competition between Paris and Frankfurt to woo the financial sector after London loses economic clout.

It's quite astonishing how the remain-camp managed to create an image that supporting being in the EU was somehow youthful and cool while supporting brexit was for the oldies, the rednecks and the uneducated. After all the EU has become a stale oligarchy run by a small number of inner circle bureaucrats and where the voice of smaller nations is not heard.

As for the talk of another Scottish referendum; that is bullshit. Only goes to show how bad losers the SNP are still two years after the earlier referendum which produced an indisputable result.

It is admirable for admirable brits to voice their concern over the bureacracy of the EU and take charge for their country. I din't think anyone had objection to that. It becomes problematic only when a group of minority exploit this to level score and blame everything on immigration.

I don't think so. I think what we'll see is a competition between Paris and Frankfurt to woo the financial sector after London loses economic clout.

Your comment makes no economic sense. You even know what a financial sector is? You probably are referring to market or trade sectors.

May I suggest you go find out the difference before you pose as an economics expert. You might also want to consider given your Marxist leanings what has happened to all farmers and labourers who now are in the EU.