Britain Sets Date for EU Referendum -- Brexit

scribblet

Did you even see the quote to which that post responded? I was not stereotyping at all.

Bull, You used the words:

"In other words, anti-immigrant voters will vote for a "complete moron" and their own economic demise just to keep immigrants out."

Now you go on about how Germany and France will woo God knows what in your mind.

Please the stream of responses you joined stereotypes all exit voters as anti immigrant morons. Deny it. I could care less.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words, anti-immigrant voters will vote for a "complete moron" and their own economic demise just to keep immigrants out.

Funny how you think it somehow redeems their argument. I think it makes the correlation between (lack of) intelligence and xenophobia.

I didn't say it redeems their argument. What I did say was that if the "mainstream" politicians and options would at least pretend to hear and address the concerns of those who aren't sold on mass immigration, rather than insulting them, then they might not be losing elections and referendums to fringe parties/candidates/options who are the only ones addressing those concerns.

If the "remain" campaign had stuck to explaining the economic benefit of staying in the EU, while admitting that immigration issues exist and promising to address them in some way, then they likely would have gotten the extra 2% of the vote they needed to win. Instead, they spent the campaign alienating millions of people by calling them bigots and racists, and those people voted against them (what a surprise!), and now the UK will leave the EU.

You don't win votes by insulting the people you want to vote for you.

I think the UK would have been better off in the EU, and I think leaving is a mistake. And I certainly think that Europe would be MUCH better off with the UK staying a member of the EU. The UK was perhaps the single strongest voice for freer markets and freer speech in the EU, and without its influence at the table, the rest of the EU will descend deeper into statism, a terrible outcome. But I am also excited to see the insult-hurling social justice types who seemed responsible for so much of the messaging behind the Remain campaign put in their place. Gotta find a bright side somewhere!

Edited by Bonam

I think in the wake of the UK's exit vote, you'll see more of the "far right" parties in Europe make further gains in elections (they've been steadily advancing from the fringe to mainstream over the last decade). Those countries who remain in the EU will face an even bigger backlash against mass immigration and refugee flows. With the UK leaving, voters there will think why should they shoulder the burden when one of Europe's largest and richest economies left over the issue? Far right parties are anathema to the ruling parties of Germany and France, and their election to power in other EU countries will result in deep ideological division within the EU. This will be especially true in Eastern Europe which has a long history of *actual* racism and xenophobia (not the made up kind that lefties accuse people of in the UK). With a growing division between East and West in the EU, you'll likely see eastern European EU members falling back more and more into Russia's sphere of influence. Will Germany be able to throw around enough largesse to hold the house of cards together?

Your comment makes no economic sense. You even know what a financial sector is? You probably are referring to market or trade sectors.

May I suggest you go find out the difference before you pose as an economics expert. You might also want to consider given your Marxist leanings what has happened to all farmers and labourers who now are in the EU.

You and BC stereotype millions of people with negative labels while posing as progressives against bigotry.

Awww, you're so cute when you try to sound condescending. What's the matter, did you um... 'stereotype' me? Did you think I'm a Starbucks barrista just because I'm a lefty?

No sweetie, I've been working in the finance industry for nearly the last decade. I'm an accountant by profession.

And yes, I know what the financial sector is. Clearly you do not.

Edited by BC_chick

It's also hilarious if they think this frees them of their obligations under the UN for handling refugees.

There is nothing in the UN conventions that requires people to accept economic migrants claiming to be refugees and the overwhelming majority of migrants showing up in the Europe do not meet the strict UN definition of refugee. However, the bleeding heart liberals in many western states have expanded the definition of refugee to mean 'any brown person from a messed up country'.

The next two months may be good indicators of the future. Look for what direction the multi-nationals (or EU based organizations like European Banking Authority and European Medicines Agency) based in England do. If they start to bail into other countries within the EU then England is headed for major financial problems.

That refrain is getting 'old' in itself. Some people around here who like to style themselves 'progressive' seem to feel anyone over fifty is somehow less thoughtful and intelligent than they are. In fact, there's a reason why no major corporation or organization and no nation on Earth decides to appoint young people to lead it. Young people generally lack the wisdom and the forethought to run anything, even their own lives, properly.

True!

Furthermore, it's the "olds" that go out there to vote!

What happened was the fact people are sick and tired of being told how to live and whom to live with. This is mainly over the immigration/migration that is going on. People are sick of having diversity shoved down their throats and called a racist if you disagree.

Agree! This result has nothing to do with the economy. It's all about immigration.

Reality is some of british workers are damn lazy. A pole or someone from eastern european will do the same job at better quality and fraction of the labour charge. It's business! And that's what keeps the economy competitive. And then you see some of these xenophobic morons winging about immigration shadowing their own incompetence. It's a cold fact!

The same thing could be said about every western country with a comfortable standard of living. The workers are 'lazy' and 'entitled' and won't work like dogs for a few pennies like the desperate people in poor countries. So your answer is to flood the western countries with poor, desperate workers and call the people who already live there xenophobes and morons for not going along with it.

Amazing you aren't able to convince more people with such a great argument!

Edited by Argus

You and BC stereotype millions of people with negative labels while posing as progressives against bigotry.

Don't you realize there's nothing wrong with hating and despising people who disagree with you if you're a progressive? In fact, it's almost a requirement. How else can you demonstrate your superiority, if only to yourself?

Edited by Argus

Your comment makes no economic sense. You even know what a financial sector is? You probably are referring to market or trade sectors.

May I suggest you go find out the difference before you pose as an economics expert. You might also want to consider given your Marxist leanings what has happened to all farmers and labourers who now are in the EU.

OMG, too funny. Look at the article I just came across on reuters:

Title - Britain's financial sector reels after Brexit bombshell http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-banks-idUSKCN0Z92G8

If you read it there are several examples of "financial sector" given if you want to familiarize yourself. Or I'll do your homework for you - it's a term used for industries like investment and banking.

I'm still laughing at how miserably you failed on that one.

And I'm sorry to come back to it, it was just SUCH a ridiculous thing to say.

I guess voting rights should be inversely proportional to age. The older you are, the less clout you have. That might lessen social media whining. Probably be worth it.

Agreed. Many of our global problems need to be solved with better bridges, not walls.

It's quite astonishing how the remain-camp managed to create an image that supporting being in the EU was somehow youthful and cool while supporting brexit was for the oldies, the rednecks and the uneducated. After all the EU has become a stale oligarchy run by a small number of inner circle bureaucrats and where the voice of smaller nations is not heard.

As for the talk of another Scottish referendum; that is bullshit. Only goes to show how bad losers the SNP are still two years after the earlier referendum which produced an indisputable result.

It seem the rednecks and the uneducated built some great countries ,then the educated took over..............

In other words, anti-immigrant voters will vote for a "complete moron" and their own economic demise just to keep immigrants out.

Funny how you think it somehow redeems their argument. I think it makes the correlation between (lack of) intelligence and xenophobia.

Maybe people are sick and tired of losing thier communities to immigrants that cant get along with thier own people, then move to other countries and bring their baggage with them. And people are also sick and tired of being called racists because they don't agree with the progressives.

Edited by PIK

Interesting to look at the influencing factors by age. It appears the older you get, the less you listen to friends, family and experts and more to the media.

So younger people are more likely to make decisions based on peer pressure and a desire for "virtue signalling".

Whereas older people make decisions based on individual analysis?

Edited by TimG

Maybe people are sick and tired of losing thier communities to immigrants that cant get along with thier own people, then move to other countries and bring their baggage with them. And people are also sick and tired of being called racists because they don't agree with the progressives.

This is very true. Their economy is in shambles and they've isolated themselves but at least they got the last laugh at the ones who called them racist. <rolling eyes>

The same thing could be said about every western country with a comfortable standard of living. The workers are 'lazy' and 'entitled' and won't work like dogs for a few pennies like the desperate people in poor countries. So your answer is to flood the western countries with poor, desperate workers and call the people who already live there xenophobes and morons for not going along with it.

Amazing you aren't able to convince more people with such a great argument!

Few corrections to your false statements.....

1- People like Poles or other eastern europeans don't work like dogs for a few pennies.

2- There is no such a thing as 'few pennies' in UK. Fyi most people in UK work above minimum wage which is way above your alleged false statement.

3- There are xenephobes/ morons in this referendum who have literally 'jumped on the band wagon' with their own agenda on immigration being influenced by the likes of Nigel Faragre. The Immigration topic has been hijacked by the minority few of Brexit voters while most of them voted out because they were fed up with the bueaucracy in Brussels and wanted to take ownership for their country.

4- There are some unintelligent commentaries about refugees being at the doorstep of UK fuelled by Nigel Farage voters. This is totally false and misrepresrnting facts as these refugees are held at Croatia.

5- I am amazed how far you are carrying on with your misrepresentation of facts....

Yesterday's referendum allowed the people to speak, but it is up to Parliament to actually follow through on Brexit. The Prime Minister has already stepped down, will Britain be forced into a general election? Will UKIP be able to form a government? Will Brexit be part of any of the other party platforms?

What I've been browsing through the various news-sites regarding this British referendum one thing strikes me above anything else; The globalists can't handle a defeat in a dignified manner but resort to childish tantrums.

Maybe it is because those people have very little experience of defeats and setbacks that once when things aren't going their way they become clueless in their reactions.

It all speaks in favour that the British people voted exactly right.

This is very true. Their economy is in shambles and they've isolated themselves but at least they got the last laugh at the ones who called them racist. <rolling eyes>

How is their economy in a shambles? Even if their unemployment rate doubles that would just put them in good company with France and Spain and other members of the EU.

Few corrections to your false statements.....

1- People like Poles or other eastern europeans don't work like dogs for a few pennies.

Ah, so your original post was so much crap, then, huh?

I mean, it was YOU who sneered at the overpaid British workers who were lazy. So are the immigrants who come in and are willing to work harder for less money a figment of your imagination or not?

What I've been browsing through the various news-sites regarding this British referendum one thing strikes me above anything else; The globalists can't handle a defeat in a dignified manner but resort to childish tantrums.

Maybe it is because those people have very little experience of defeats and setbacks that once when things aren't going their way they become clueless in their reactions.

It all speaks in favour that the British people voted exactly right.

Well put.

The word modern word xenophobia has been completely reversed of what it actually meant to the Greeks who created the word.

The Ancient Greek concept of xenophobia was that someone who didn't provide hospitality for a guest was a xenophobe (fear of guests 'xenos').

It didn't mean that one allowed one's country to be colonized (the modern sense). The Greeks fought tooth and nail against being colonized, a perfect example being the battle of Thermopylae. The moderns consider defending one's land to be xenophobia, while the Ancients would have thought them and rightly so to be insane.

Edited by G Huxley