Chris Rock: Black people haven't progressed, white people have

I thought this was a pretty Interesting and pretty frank way to view at "race relations" between black and whites in the USA from comedian Chris Rock. From an interview a bit more than a year ago:

When we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it's all nonsense. There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they're not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before…

So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he's the first black person that is qualified to be president. That's not black progress. That's white progress. There's been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship's improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, "Oh, he stopped punching her in the face." It's not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn't. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let's hope America keeps producing nicer white people.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/12/1/7313467/chris-rock-interview

Not a typical way "race relations" are thought as. Pretty damning to white Americans in history, and mostly true IMO. Do you think his statements are accurate? Not?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Not a typical way "race relations" are thought as. Pretty damning to white Americans in history, and mostly true. Do you think his statements are accurate? Not?

A reasonable POV except I disagree on the 'lots of black people qualified to be president'. Blacks are a minority so even if there were just as many qualified candidates pure random chance would mean it would very unlikely for a black person to land a job that only comes available once or twice in a decade.

I thought this was a pretty Interesting and pretty frank way to view at "race relations" between black and whites in the USA from comedian Chris Rock. From an interview a bit more than a year ago:

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/12/1/7313467/chris-rock-interview

Not a typical way "race relations" are thought as. Pretty damning to white Americans in history, and mostly true. Do you think his statements are accurate? Not?

No, I don't agree with his white people aren't as nice and decent as black people premise.

Standard Chris Rock routine...here's the other book end... he's been doing it for over 20 years:

Chris Rock - Black People VS. Niggaz (Bring the Pain 1996)

"By the way, I've never done that joke again, ever, and I probably never will. 'Cos some people that were racist thought they had license to say nigger. So, I'm done with that routine."

A reasonable POV except I disagree on the 'lots of black people qualified to be president'. Blacks are a minority so even if there were just as many qualified candidates pure random chance would mean it would very unlikely for a black person to land a job that only comes available once or twice in a decade.

It doesn't take much to be qualified for president, though. Just look at the current crop of candidates to see what constitutes "qualified".

No, I don't agree with his white people aren't as nice and decent as black people premise.

They are far more sophisticated, polite and less likely to commit open racism, much less racial violence than their ancestors. Most of the bigotry directed at Black people in the US today is not based on any sense that they are genetically inferior, but out of fear of their reputation for violence and criminality.

And I would say while White society in the US has grown more sophisticated and tolerant Black society has grown less sophisticated and more violent. I don't think it would have even occurred to a group of young black men in the 1960s to play a game where they tried to knock out a completely unknown man or woman with a single punch just for fun and giggles. I don't think dozens or hundreds of them would get together to run through malls and fairgrounds stealing and assaulting people either for fun. I don't think they would have gotten into brawls at restaurants and shops over nothing. You see all this routinely in the US news.

Edited by Argus

They are far more sophisticated, polite and less likely to commit open racism, much less racial violence than their ancestors. Most of the bigotry directed at Black people in the US today is not based on any sense that they are genetically inferior, but out of fear of their reputation for violence and criminality.

This is also true of the modern day Canadian white compared to decades past.

IMO The death of the black family has a lot to do with it. I think we have seen where blacks can do whatever they want, if they want.

Not just the breakdown of the traditional family, but a lack of parental, particularly father figures, a lack of cultural figures other than sports stars and rap stars - almost all of whom behave badly in a kind of macho display of personal strength and toughness which inspires the same in teenagers.

You posted the POTUS qualifications and are derailing the thread by not answering a simple and honest question I have. How can Cruz run for president when he was born outside the US?

Please re-phrase your question within the racial context of this thread so we don't get in any trouble.

Example: How can Cruz the Canadian white run for president like Obama the American black when Cruze was born to a white mother in predominantly white Canada ?

Persons of any "race" can run for U.S. president....doesn't mean they will be inaugurated.