Fuddle Duddle

Big Guy

Forty five years ago, Conservative MP John Lundrigan and another Tory MP, Lincoln Alexander, were asking questions in parliament when Pierre Trudeau mouthed "fuddle duddle" in answer to their inquiries.

http://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/1971-trudeaus-fuddle-duddle-incident

Thus the Prime Minister coined a new phrase and established a new low for dialogue in our respected parliament.

Happy Anniversary and "Fuddle Duddle" to all those who wish the same sentiment towards me. :P

Hardly a "new low" in Parliament...

P.E.T. was a very good orator... Mulroney was quite good as well. No one since has been nearly as good at verbal communication or as good at stinging criticism as those two...

Edited by The_Squid

No, Justin Trudeau doesn't have the oratory skillz of his father.

I disagree. Trudeau Jnr sounds, uh, good. He looks good. But aside from "oratory skillz", there's something else - more important in a democratic politician.

Agree or disagree with Lévesque, Trudeau Snr too always had something interesting/provocative to say. Nowadays, Americans only have Trump.

I saw Rona Ambrose interviewed right after Minister Sajjan... she was dreadful. She was an empty shell of regurgitated talking points.

I know, I was just trying to be kind. She learned talking points at the feet of Harper it seems. At least she seems to know she's not the one to be the party leader long term.

I disagree. Trudeau Jnr sounds, uh, good. He looks good. But aside from "oratory skillz", there's something else - more important in a democratic politician.

Agree or disagree with Lévesque, Trudeau Snr too always had something interesting/provocative to say. Nowadays, Americans only have Trump.

Can you elaborate on "provocative"? Do you mean something that provokes thought or further dialogue? Or do you mean "provocative" in the sense of provoking an aggressive response? By referencing Trump, it seems as if you're hoping for the latter sense.

-k

From what I have seen of Justin in QP lately, and in the debate just today over the F 18 issue, he has been very apt at responding to anything the oppositions throw at him. He's on his feet talking before the clapping stops and I don't see notes anywhere. Rona Ambrose tries hard I will give her that much.

Yes um his breathless ramblings um are very um entertaining. This is exactly um the confident um um voice we um need ummmm to impress um other world um leaders whew.

I'm sure if it woulda been Harper (or any conservative for that matter) that gave us the middle finger and told us to, well, "fuddle duddle off", the left would be screaming blue in the face. But not only was Senior excused by the left, they have actually coined it as the less offensive "fuddle duddle" to protect their glorious leader. Yes indeed, telling the public you are representing to "f%@* off" and giving them the finger, was a high point that all world leaders should aspire to. No "new low" in politics, just the Libs doin what they do best.....

You know Pierre Trudeau said that 45 years ago, right? And he didn't shout "f*** off" and give the public the finger. He mouthed the words to a particular MP who was questioning him. If you want to give examples of poor behaviour to criticize the Liberals, why not bring up Justin Trudeau calling Peter Kent a "piece of shit" and later having to apologize?

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

Justin is not nearly as quick on the fly as Pierre.

The biggest stylistic difference is that Justin gives the appearance of anxiety about people liking him. Pierre did not care about that much, though he became expert in exploiting Trudeaumania. Both are flamboyant personally.

Their political styles are very similar, though Junior has not had much time on the job. Very fond of any social program, clueless on the economy that pays for it all.

I think the right and the left have been taken aback by just how well Trudeau and the Liberals have done. First of all he has actually realized some of his election promises already, like it or not, and it seems most Canadians like, but I suspect many were expecting him to get blown away when on his feet in such places as QP. I recall prior to the election he was often not in the house for QP, or when he was he would often read from notes and make the odd gaffe from time to time. That clearly has changed and that "short pants" nonsense has ricocheted quite heavily. One need only look at the latest polls to see how many call the new government a "breath of fresh air"