What Are The Most Credible Investigative News Sources In Canada?

Which news source in Canada do you think is most capable of delivering spin-free news to the public about a matter of government corruption that is objective and would withstand political intimidation? This includes all medias - broadcast, print, and online.

If you're looking for political conspiracys then Chossudovsky's your man.

All media, just like everyone of us, are biased. If you read a cross section of news reports, you get a sense of where the truth is located. On the other hand, don't actually expect to find the truth or recognize it if you do. It is important to be sceptical.

I find the CBC to be the most credible. The public broadcaster may get their funding from the Government, but they don't shy away from holding the Government accountable.

All media, just like everyone of us, are biased. If you read a cross section of news reports, you get a sense of where the truth is located. On the other hand, don't actually expect to find the truth or recognize it if you do. It is important to be sceptical.

I find the CBC to be the most credible. The public broadcaster may get their funding from the Government, but they don't shy away from holding the Government accountable.

Cmon, the CBC nearly broke out the bubbly (and maybe did off air) when Trudeau won the election. Ever ;listen to CBC radio? No, the CBC is as left as could be, i don't think they even bother to hide it anymore.

The National Post is post pretty good.

The National Post is post pretty good.

The National Post and most Postmedia news sources are right-leaning. This is the media company that posted anti-Liberal and anti-NDP advertisements ON THE FRONTPAGE of major city papers like the Ottawa Citizen and Vancouver Sun days before the last election and the day after those paper endorsed the Conservatives.

I go to the National Post to get a right-leaning viewpoint on the news I won't find elsewhere on places like the CBC, so it certainly has its place. The CBC and Toronto Star lean to the left. You'll find stories and op-eds on those sites you'd never find on National Post and vice versa. For more moderate and a bit more balanced sources I read CTV News and The Globe and Mail. Personally if I just want the news and the least spin and op-eds I go to the CTV News website. Compare http://www.ctvnews.ca/ to the CBC or National Post cites. National Post main page is usually filled with opinion pieces as the "lead stories".

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Since there seems to be A vs B in news sources, then why not read or listen to BOTH sides and decide which u feel is more open and trustworthy. Canada's news isn't as bad as the US.

I think there is more than one side. There are systemic biases and for that reason, there are some points of view that you're rarely if ever going to see represented in the MSM.

Still, I try to verify that facts are being reported in more than one source if possible. And when it come to theories or points of view, it comes down to fundamentally, whether the point of view being expressed makes sense.

For example, could 9/11 have been allowed to happen by certain individuals who wanted to have an excuse to invade Afghanistan and Iraq? It's possible but I haven't seen the proof. Could 9/11 have been caused by planting explosives in the buildings and flying a missile into the pentagon? That would require a much bigger conspiracy and it's hard to believe it could be hushed up. Having said all of that, there are things about 9/11 that don't make sense to me and will leave me wondering indefinitely.

The National Post and most Postmedia news sources are right-leaning. This is the media company that posted anti-Liberal and anti-NDP advertisements ON THE FRONTPAGE of major city papers like the Ottawa Citizen and Vancouver Sun days before the last election and the day after those paper endorsed the Conservatives.

I go to the National Post to get a right-leaning viewpoint on the news I won't find elsewhere on places like the CBC, so it certainly has its place. The CBC and Toronto Star lean to the left. You'll find stories and op-eds on those sites you'd never find on National Post and vice versa. For more moderate and a bit more balanced sources I read CTV News and The Globe and Mail. Personally if I just want the news and the least spin and op-eds I go to the CTV News website. Compare http://www.ctvnews.ca/ to the CBC or National Post cites. National Post main page is usually filled with opinion pieces as the "lead stories".

Postmedia right leaning?Back when I got the Ottawa Citizen,it seems that just about every day there was a front page story (always negative)about the Conservatives.Very little attention was given to anything negative about the Ontario Liberals.I don't know how many day the front page had the robocalls story(which turned out to be quite overblown).

Rebelmedia has stories which often don't appear anywhere else.

http://www.therebel.media/

• 3 months later...

It is very difficult to find a completely objective media in any country. For those based in Canada, I feel that the Globe and Mail is the "most" impartial.

I prefer to get my information about Canadian politics (spin free) from foreign sources. They tend to deal with facts rather than interpretation of events.

• 2 weeks later...

National Post is the least bad, but their overall bias is still decidedly left. One editorial from the publisher once every four years doesn't even come close to balancing the thousands of stridently anti-conservative and/or pro-liberal articles that they publish all year long.

Check them out if you get a chance and let me know if there is something sarcastic about the quality of their articles on their site.

A little self awareness goes a long way. The Tyee is rabidly biased left and would only be described as 'objective' by a partisan that does not understand what the word objective means.

A little self awareness goes a long way. The Tyee is rabidly biased left and would only be described as 'objective' by a partisan that does not understand what the word objective means.

Stop with the ignorance. Here is the list of the top 10 articles on the site. Some are opinion pieces, but most are not. I do recommend reading them before getting upset about seeing an article on there where Stephen Harper was criticized.

MOST EMAILED

Which news source in Canada do you think is most capable of delivering spin-free news to the public about a matter of government corruption that is objective and would withstand political intimidation? This includes all medias - broadcast, print, and online.

I have seen The Tyee take on all parties and have never succumbed to any political intimidation.

Edited by marcus

I have seen The Tyee take on all parties and have never succumbed to any political intimidation.

I said it had a left wing bias. That does not mean it necessarily supports a particular political party all of the time. All of the articles you linked cover the issue from a left wing perspective and present left wing opinions as self evident truths. I realize that you may believe that many of your opinions are 'truths' so you can't see the bias. But it is obvious to anyone who does not share your world view. Edited by TimG

Reality has a "left wing bias."

That is what left wing thinkers tell themselves to rationalize their world view. It is a lovely technique that serves to re-enforce bias while massauging the egos of the people saying it. Edited by TimG

And right wing thinkers like to play the victim and pretend that everyone from academics to journalists are out to get them.

It is not about being 'out to get people'. It is about bias and the tendency to believe that one's opinions are 'truths' when they are only opinions.

As far as academics and journalists go: people have a choice to pursue careers in different fields. Certain careers are only of interest to people with specific world views. This leads to a systematic bias in the views presented by different specialties.

It is not about being 'out to get people'. It is about bias and the tendency to believe that one's opinions are 'truths' when they are only opinions.

Let me know when you recognize this in yourself and other right wingers. Seems you only care about "bias" when reality disagrees with your views. For all your concern of "truths" and "opinions," I've never once seen you call something out for right wing bias.

Edited by cybercoma

Seems you only care about "bias" when reality disagrees with your views.

When I say there is bias is it usually because someone is insisting that their *opinion* is a fact. You may want to believe that your opinion are facts but that does not make it reality.

I am also aware of my own biases and try to make it clear that I am stating my opinions and do not try to pretend they are facts.