North Korea Launch!

wulf42

This has to be extremely unsettling for Japan, I would suspect the Japanese will soon start on a crash Nuclear Weapons program to counter the N Koreans. They already have functioning Nuclear reactors it would be little effort to create a small Nuclear deterrent against their crazy N K neighbor.

North Korea's problem is the same as Iran's currently. Once you get into the ICBM game, you start to need re-entry shrouds that can withstand the ride down. These have been a bit daunting for both parties...but they'll get it right eventually.

North Korea's problem is the same as Iran's currently. Once you get into the ICBM game, you start to need re-entry shrouds that can withstand the ride down. These have been a bit daunting for both parties...but they'll get it right eventually.

Until then, we can welcome North Korea (then Iran) to the 1950s.........entering a league that took a national effort from far larger economies....

Funny enough, the Clinton administrations chief negotiator over their North Korean no nuke/ICBM deal in the 90s, Wendy Sherman, was tapped by the Obama administration (Under Clinton's State Department) to negotiate the US-Iran deal...........

Until then, we can welcome North Korea (then Iran) to the 1950s.........entering a league that took a national effort from far larger economies....

Funny enough, the Clinton administrations chief negotiator over their North Korean no nuke/ICBM deal in the 90s, Wendy Sherman, was tapped by the Obama administration (Under Clinton's State Department) to negotiate the US-Iran deal...........

It's the monkeys I worry about. They have to be the 'test pilots'. Monkey survived? Nuke will survive...

It's the monkeys I worry about. They have to be the 'test pilots'. Monkey survived? Nuke will survive...

And I'm more concerned with this administration's ROEs placed on the 7th fleet (and the Japanese), and why they didn't splash it.........must be an election year and the USN is looking to secure additional long-term funding for shipbuilding.

And I'm more concerned with this administration's ROEs placed on the 7th fleet (and the Japanese), and why they didn't splash it.........must be an election year and the USN is looking to secure additional long-term funding for shipbuilding.

In it's initial boost phase, perhaps, a shipboard SAM could wack it. After that it would take something special. I think events like this will surly force a push on ABM technology. Lasers and such in particular. I hear the Navy is testing a shipboard laser system capable of such things...eventually.

In it's initial boost phase, perhaps, a shipboard SAM could wack it.

There is no perhaps, that USN has the capability, and a continual presence in the Sea of Japan to do exactly that......the question is why they didn't ....I would suspect this to be politics aimed at the Japanese and South Koreans, intended to see them redouble their efforts in sea-based anti ballistic defense.

There is no perhaps, that USN has the capability, and a continual presence in the Sea of Japan to do exactly that......the question is why they didn't ....I would suspect this to be politics aimed at the Japanese and South Koreans, intended to see them redouble their efforts in sea-based anti ballistic defense.

I'm not so sure. The flight profile of such a rocket is pretty much straight-up for the first bit. By the time it is high over the Sea of Japan, it's doing 6km a second at over 150 km up.

I'm not so sure. The flight profile of such a rocket is pretty much straight-up for the first bit. By the time it is high over the Sea of Japan, it's doing 6km a second at over 150 km up.

That's fine, but the USN currently has the capability to do exactly that......its not theoretical. The question is funding to deploy it fleet wide, and keep said resources at sea (see USS Port Royal)......and for the Japanese and South Koreans to (and Europeans, and Canada) buy into the burden.

That's fine, but the USN currently has the capability to do exactly that......its not theoretical. The question is funding to deploy it fleet wide, and keep said resources at sea (see USS Port Royal)......and for the Japanese and South Koreans to (and Europeans, and Canada) buy into the burden.

I suppose so. Saying and doing are still two different critters...just saying. But, if I'm to make a layman's prediction, such a job will soon be the duty of a high energy laser system to fry the fuses on on such a target rather than a rather time consuming orbital intercept.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/04/21/us-navy-tests-laser-weapons

I suppose so. Saying and doing are still two different critters...just saying. But, if I'm to make a layman's prediction, such a job will soon be the duty of a high energy laser system to fry the fuses on on such a target rather than a rather time consuming orbital intercept.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/04/21/us-navy-tests-laser-weapons

Saying and doing isn't the issue, its funding.......the SM-3 and the under development SM-3 block IIA are real capabilities........sea based lasers for ballistic missile defense aren't feasible until the USN builds new cruisers/destroyers with the ability to generate a far greater electrical output. That won't happen with current and near term building plans.......

You want sea based lasers, they will need a nuclear powered 20k-30k ton cruiser.........and that is not happening absent a large funding increase, and moving away from Flight III Burke production.

That didn't take long:

South Korean and American military officials said Sunday that they had agreed to begin negotiations for the “earliest possible” deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, known as THAAD.

THAAD is a land based system, that could be deployed within weeks, that the South Koreans (and Japan) have been in talks of acquiring for years......amazing how fast this North Korean test sped up talks.........I'd still expect both South Korea and Japan to continue with talks over acquiring ABM capability for their navies.

This has to be extremely unsettling for Japan, I would suspect the Japanese will soon start on a crash Nuclear Weapons program to counter the N Koreans. They already have functioning Nuclear reactors it would be little effort to create a small Nuclear deterrent against their crazy N K neighbor.

Further to what you said, Japan may already have nuke weapons. How would we know one way or the other?

Japan is of course openly upset as is the entire region including China, Vietnam, South Korea, the Philippines and Taiwan not to mention Indonesia and Australia.

On one level of course having an insane fat boy with a bad hair cut playing with nukes is disconcerting.

On the other hand it certainly impacts on China's agenda to rule that area of the world and play up its imprtance as the only nation capable of controlling the fat boy.

Hpw much of fat boy's posturing is real...do we know? He just killed his head of the armed forces the 70th ordered kiillng of his upper echelon and no.2 in the country.

He's killed far more people than either dear beloved fearless Grandpa or Papa before him.

Either he is a stooge puppet or one ruthless psycho. I think the bad hair cut looks like a fusion between Stalin's and Hitler's hair do's whiich is not good and the fact he keeps putting on weight seems an indicator of some sort of arrested emotional development issue.

.His face reminds me of Donald Trump the way he looks like a sucker fish-then again he looks like an angry lesbian character from a bad 1940's movie who would smoke unfiltered cigarettes and make sinister innuendoes about Ida Lupino, Barbra Stanwyk, Joan Crawford, Katherine Hepburn. Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Liz Scott.

The Fat Boy usually makes noise and rattles the cage when he's running out of aid money and needs more.

The UN and China and the US have appeased fat boy each and every time he has had a tantrum so of course he keeps having them.

Doesn't seem like anyone thinks there is any oil or lithium, etc. in North Korea or they would have killed him by now.

Keep in mind there are conventional bombs that now do far more damage than his hydrogen bombs and the radioactive fall out from Japan's nuclear plants compromised by the earthquakes and the tsunami disaster are its first concern in regards t nuclear fall out. However Japan is a unique survivor of nuclear attack so its concern is based on fear like no other nation.

Now weather the fat boy is just making farting noises to get more aid or something new in technology has happened who knows.

Its he a concern? Hell yah. But hey I think we should send Justin to see him and get to the root cause of his problems. I am sure Dennis Rodman could provide Justin valuable insider tips on how to re-establish relations with him jyust as Justin is doing with Iram.

As Big Guy send in another post about repening relations with Iran, its really important we do business with such countries. I hear North Korea has cutting edge technology on how to starve people.

Edited by Rue

Further to what you said, Japan may already have nuke weapons. How would we know one way or the other?

Because you don't have a nuke until you've tested a nuke (unless you buy it from someone else who has tested it). Nuclear weapons are complex enough that you can't be confident your design will work until you try it. Nuclear tests are easy to detect, and international nuclear weapons sales are hard to keep secret, so I'd say Japan has no nukes.