Conservative Surplus Nothing but Hot Air

Smallc

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except for the provinces when it comes to the amount of infrastructure funding promised then not spent in order to create a faux surplus. The provinces would have made decisions based on those initial numbers.

That's not fair. I hear the Ontario Gazebo Association had its best years ever under Minister Clement.

It's likely that a significant portion of the people working in government (I'll stand by my 50% estimate) were hired by the Conservatives.

And what percentage of the people in charge do you think were hired by them? It takes 15-20 years to work your way into middle management.

Looking back at things like this, it's harder and harder to say that I was right to support the party.

We'll see how you feel come next election, when our debt is $100 billion higher and there is still a large deficit.

Edited by Argus

We'll see how you feel come next election, when our debt is $100 billion higher and there is still a large deficit.

That's ironic, considering that our debt is now almost $150B more than it was 10 years ago. Canada is facing more difficult economic circumstances than it was during the 2008 - 2015 period. I won't blame the Liberals for running a deficit, just as I wouldn't blame the Conservatives.

That's ironic, considering that our debt is now almost $150B more than it was 10 years ago. Canada is facing more difficult economic circumstances than it was during the 2008 - 2015 period. I won't blame the Liberals for running a deficit, just as I wouldn't blame the Conservatives.

I'm glad you're young enough to be around when we face our Greek moment and your CPP, GIS and OAS get gutted then.

Justin inherited a surplus, and plans to turn it into a big deficit. Regardless, yes, when the government spends less money, it's easier to achieve surpluses and/or balanced budgets. It's not rocket science.

What is this surplus you speak of? Even Trudeau admits he will need more than 10 weeks to fix what the Conservatives could not fix in 10 years.

When is Japan going to face its greek moment? The US? Greece is where Greece is because of the Euro.

Greece is where Greece is because people like you kept voting in governments that gave them lots of stuff without taxing them for it. Eventually the bills came due and they emptied out their pockets and put on a sad face. Not my fault, they said. Sorry. No sympathy for the Greeks whatsoever.

Edited by Argus

Harper's all eggs in one oil basket certainly headed us there, but now perhaps we can advance into new markets/economies. We'll leave you old boys to fret over immigrants.

No matter how many times you people come up with your silly fantasy that Harper created the resource industry and did his best to discourage all the others nobody sane buys it.

Many of the Tories are say that the higher the deficit the harder its is to pay it off and that may be true in some cases. People on here, that remember when Mulroney exited, there was a 40 billion deficit which the Liberals did pay off, and yes some things had to be reduced like the Military. Every government has it own problems and its own way of dealing with them because the economy is good at times and then its not so good. it's like my mayor said, taxpayers will be angry if we raise taxes but they ARE going to be angrier if every time they go down their road and feel nothing but potholes. So if taxpayers can SEE where their tax $$ are going they won't be too peeved off.

Greece is where Greece is because people like you kept voting in governments that gave them lots of stuff without taxing them for it.

Leaving aside all the stuff you're missing in there, I've already said I'd rather raise taxes than run deficits.

Leaving aside all the stuff you're missing in there, I've already said I'd rather raise taxes than run deficits.

Yeah, but unlike you and probably Argus, I never voted for the CPC.

I never liked their GST cut pledge and disliked it even more when they cut the rate twice.

That is the main reason for our perpetual deficits ever since.

Would have been better to have left it at 7%.

Yes, I know you're smart enough to have not been in favour of such naked pandering to the electorate and yes I know the opposition did not produce any good alternatives to Harper (Dion? Ignatieff? hah) but still... this is why democracy sucks sometimes (and by that I mean the people don't have very good choices to make).

Yes, I know you're smart enough to have not been in favour of such naked pandering to the electorate and yes I know the opposition did not produce any good alternatives to Harper (Dion? Ignatieff? hah) but still... this is why democracy sucks sometimes (and by that I mean the people don't have very good choices to make).

To be completely honest, I even went to see Ignatieff speak in Winnipeg. At the beginning. I was very in favour of he or Dion becoming PM. They both actually drove me away from the Liberals in the end (especially Ignatieff). I never really cared much for the GST cut, even if I liked some of what the Conservatives did.

In the end, Trudeau (so far) was the exact opposite. I considered him a joke. In the last week and a half of the campaign, it seems like myself and a lot of other Canadians came to understand that he was the best person of the choices presented (perhaps more than that even).

Edited by Smallc

In the end, Trudeau (so far) was the exact opposite. I considered him a joke. In the last week and a half of the campaign, it seems like myself and a lot of other Canadians came to understand that he was the best person of the choices presented (perhaps more than that even).

I think it's clear to anyone who watches politics unfold - that Trudeau himself is a lightweight, pretty well completely devoid of leadership. He's a figurehead. But so was Ronald Reagan - and yet his administration flourished and he was called "The Great Communicator". What's important is the wizard(s) behind the curtain......and they have not been fully "outed" at this stage. Gerald Butts is one of course and his McGuinty/Wynne heritage makes his influence truly scary. But there must be two or three others that will be counted on to pave the way forward. Until we understand who they are, their agendas and motivations - we won't know if the Trudeau figurehead will become the "great communicator" or just another Mr. Dithers. It all depends on how positive, clear and decisive the wizards can be. Sunny Ways aside, we're not off to the best start.

I'm glad you're young enough to be around when we face our Greek moment and your CPP, GIS and OAS get gutted then.

Good thing any young person with a brain should realize that none of these programs will exist in anything close to their current state 40 years from now. I'd much rather these programs didn't exist at all, they are nothing but wealth transfers from the young to the old. Too bad all you old folks would crucify anyone who dared to challenge your entitlements...

Edited by Bonam

Good thing any young person with a brain should realize that none of these programs will exist in anything close to their current state 40 years from now. I'd much rather these programs didn't exist at all, they are nothing but wealth transfers from the young to the old. Too bad all you old folks would crucify anyone who dared to challenge your entitlements...

Not sure what you are implying but in 15 years when I am retiring I will be getting MY OWN money and this will be the money that I a am paying NOW deposited in bank for my pension years otherwise I would save this $10,000 annual contributions to MY pension myself and in 35 working years ii will be over half a million dollars (my payments plus interests) as my own direct payments plus an equal half a million more by my employers. So I don't feel in 15 years the young will be paying charity to me in my pension years or a wealth transfer from young to old as I said it is my own money (over a million dollars) which I am working hard for it and by law they take it away from me now to save it for my future.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015