What are teachers doing on PD Days?

8 hours ago, hernanday said:

Teachers work on pd days, the kids have the day off, you are confusing kids with teachers.

You want teachers to be your free daycare?  Pay for your own daycare buddy.

Until your kid gets sick, injured or harmed or worse you get sued by another parents because the teacher's didn't have pd days to get trained.

Teachers work full time, you have teacher hatred.

A lot of teachers would probably earn more and be much more happy as private sector consultants and trainers earning $250,000 a contract to train the under-educated work force.

Teachers are exposed to an unusual large number of hazards, childhood diseases and illnesses walking on ice, sleet and freezing rain multiple times a week, having to break up kids the size of adults fighting, kids kicking balls in their heads throwing hotdogs in their eyes, food fights etc.  I mean to a young person in their 20s or 30s most of those are not the end of the world, but to a 60 or 50 year old teacher, slipping on the ice, breaking a hip or getting hit in the head with a ball unexpectedly or getting a black eye from a student throwing fist is something where 11 sick days might not even be enough.  Not to mention all the flu kids seems to constantly have.  Pension fund is paid by the teachers, you could have a generous pension if you PAY FOR IT.  Teachers do not get as big as holidays as you think, they have to prepare when the kids are off.

A I want my kids to learn 5 days a week ( I am sorry i feel that way -Trying to be politically correct)

B I dont want free daycare- I already am taxed enough for education-give me all the money back I pay for public education and I can afford to send them elsewhere 5 days a week

It is not up to the teachers to dictate what the workweek looks like- society pushes for 5 days a week-PERIOD- I am sure all the teachers can fight over these jobs as we eliminate them and hire new teachers that accept the 5 day work week- The free day care angle is so insulting to the parent who works 5 days a week( at least) and can only hope their teachers are providing more than daycare ( NOT FREE DAYCARE) but a real education( keep in mind how little day care workers make- as they wait to become teachers)

The teachers are obligated to provide more than daycare- or they should seek employment eslewhere

C If you think you can earn $250,000 PLEASE!!! DO THAT -- no one will stop you- my child will welcome your new tax dollars to support their education with more efficient teaching staff ( eg. I dont pay $100 per hour for my cleaning person) There is NOT a shortage of teachers - gee - I wonder why

In the meantime ( grass is greener) there is a job to do CALLED TEACHING- and if you are so against it I have 5 qualified people right now who will take your spot_tomorrow

and help the parents and kids fulfill their needs - an education ( which they pay for in every tax dollar)

On Friday - I will be at the school with others _ taking attendance with my kids--- and if a teacher is not present- they will be taking a sick day-- PERIOD

enough of the BS  - I will report on MONDAY how many teachers did not manage to professionally upgrade themselves in this 1 school

7 hours ago, fairnessforall said:

It is not up to the teachers to dictate what the workweek looks like- society pushes for 5 days a week-PERIOD- I am sure all the teachers can fight over these jobs as we eliminate them and hire new teachers that accept the 5 day work week. 

You're right, it is not up to them - it's a negotiation between the bargaining unit and the employers. Elimination of PD days is not likely to happen, as the political fight would be too much.

On 1/30/2017 at 11:27 PM, fairnessforall said:

A I want my kids to learn 5 days a week ( I am sorry i feel that way -Trying to be politically correct)

No one is stopping you from obtaining that, you have access to that.

B I dont want free daycare- I already am taxed enough for education-give me all the money back I pay for public education and I can afford to send them elsewhere 5 days a week

Even if you live in a house that is valued at $6 million like mine, you are only paying around $10 grand in pt, you are not going to afford private school on that.

It is not up to the teachers to dictate what the workweek looks like- society pushes for 5 days a week-PERIOD- I am sure all the teachers can fight over these jobs as we eliminate them and hire new teachers that accept the 5 day work week- The free day care angle is so insulting to the parent who works 5 days a week( at least) and can only hope their teachers are providing more than daycare ( NOT FREE DAYCARE) but a real education( keep in mind how little day care workers make- as they wait to become teachers)

Teachers have 5 day work weeks. You want free day care, you are trying to use the school as a FREE DAY CARE.  It is about learning, and the children, children best benefit from teachers with ongoing training during the school year.  Would you want your doctor to stop getting on going training?  You want free day care.  Few day care workers become teachers.  Although the day care workers with substantial education usually would not take the PAY CUT to become a teacher, with substantially more work.

The teachers are obligated to provide more than daycare- or they should seek employment eslewhere

School is not a daycare, teachers are not there to daycare your child, want daycare, PAY FOR IT.

C If you think you can earn $250,000 PLEASE!!! DO THAT -- no one will stop you- my child will welcome your new tax dollars to support their education with more efficient teaching staff ( eg. I dont pay $100 per hour for my cleaning person) There is NOT a shortage of teachers - gee - I wonder why

There is not a shortage of investment bankers or day traders or tech gurus and lawyers and government workers.

In the meantime ( grass is greener) there is a job to do CALLED TEACHING- and if you are so against it I have 5 qualified people right now who will take your spot_tomorrow

Teaching is a profession, not a career!  There are not that many qualified teachers.

and help the parents and kids fulfill their needs - an education ( which they pay for in every tax dollar)

On Friday - I will be at the school with others _ taking attendance with my kids--- and if a teacher is not present- they will be taking a sick day-- PERIOD

enough of the BS  - I will report on MONDAY how many teachers did not manage to professionally upgrade themselves in this 1 school

so what?

12 hours ago, hernanday said:

No one is stopping you from obtaining that, you have access to that.

Even if you live in a house that is valued at $6 million like mine, you are only paying around $10 grand in pt, you are not going to afford private school on that.

Teachers have 5 day work weeks. You want free day care, you are trying to use the school as a FREE DAY CARE.  It is about learning, and the children, children best benefit from teachers with ongoing training during the school year.  Would you want your doctor to stop getting on going training?  You want free day care.  Few day care workers become teachers.  Although the day care workers with substantial education usually would not take the PAY CUT to become a teacher, with substantially more work.

School is not a daycare, teachers are not there to daycare your child, want daycare, PAY FOR IT.

There is not a shortage of investment bankers or day traders or tech gurus and lawyers and government workers.

Teaching is a profession, not a career!  There are not that many qualified teachers.

so what?

EXACTLY_( they dont care - so why should I RIGHT!) I am going to get a list of the PD day activities - to see what they are studying- I will post the agenda- so we can observe how beneficial the day was- the truth will come out. If they are in such urgent need of constant training- why are they paid so much and why did they to school for so long.

I dont think Grade 2 changes that rapidly every year.Apparently my plumber( certified trade-profession) is charging me on Monday for his training class as well (kidding) If these teachers are so highly above the other workers in Ontario- you think they would train on their own at their expense- just like the rest of us .

Do you need some spots to be filled- I really do have many trained teachers who cant get in- huge waiting list- almost hopeless= are you in a position to give them a chance

they already have all the courses = they will teach 5 days a week- and will train on their own time if the job called for it==

and have spent years volunteering to keep themselves ready. But as of friday - they will not be teaching either

oh and by the way - my house is  worth just 2.5 million- what does this make me lessor than you- I work 5.5 days a week-2 weeks vacation a year

I have trouble finding youth who will work 5 days a week consistently - they are used to a much lessor work load after completing high school

unless of course they came from another country- where 5 days a week was expected

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:39 PM, Cum Laude said:

I can't see this ever happening. The teacher unions would never allow it.

The robots would be welcome if they paid the fat dues to belong to the union, and voted as instructed at provincial and federal elections.  They would also be obliged to break down regularly, to provide work to substitute teachers.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:29 PM, overthere said:

The robots would be welcome if they paid the fat dues to belong to the union, and voted as instructed at provincial and federal elections.  They would also be obliged to break down regularly, to provide work to substitute teachers.

Do you ever notice the public education is a disaster regardless of ;olitical party in power?

On 2/20/2017 at 3:54 PM, Michael Hardner said:

By what metric ?

I measure that by the applications we get for new hires, and the new hires we don't keep for very long.   Even the EETs and EEs we retain I have a constant struggle with since they simply don't understand the high school or even grade school science in what they do.  I have three teachers under my roof and 10 graduate and post graduate degrees (none of which are mine, I will add), so I can tell you from anecdotal evidence that public education is far more concerned with paycheques, days off, moving students through the system than it is with inspiring children to want to learn and most of all, determining if they actually understand the concepts being taught.

When people have to go to the extreme of citing "slipping on ice" as the kind of job risks that put teachers at peril to the extent of law enforcement officers and firefighters, you know the arguments for how much reward vs. how much work...and most of all, how much accountability for the lack of results...is a huge stretch.

On the other hand, the idea that school is there for child care is ludicrous.  That's what a family's job is.  If you want to have children, to expect the school system (which is not particularly good even at education) to do that for you is truly idiotic.  Only a FULL TIME parent (or grandparent) can ever be expected to do what it takes to give a child the kind of background, care, EDUCATION, self-awareness, confidence, etc. that it takes to hand them over to a public school teacher to add the tiny bit of social skills it takes to round out their education.  Truth is, you can't feed a young child's mind enough in their waking hours to even come close to satiating their ability to learn.  If you really want to see how inept public education can be, just hand a really bright kid to one of those schools and watch how the love of learning can be beat out of them in a hurry.  A GOOD teacher would never contribute to that, but I doubt that 5% of those hidden behind the unions would even come close to being called that.

The right way to deal with this whole question is very simple:  give me a voucher for my children's education and I will put it where I feel it is most effective (and supplement that cost if I so choose).  Why would you give a monopoly to a broken system to do one of the most important jobs in a child's life?  We spent a small fortune getting our children educated in music, sport, science, etc. OUTSIDE of the public system, as did a large number of other parents who we encountered at many venues.  We chose the public (separate) system for their "basic" daily routine simply because it would give them the skills to deal with the full range of social skills to interface with those who would be their clients, patients, etc. later in life, including comprehension of what mediocrity was out there.  Yes, they DID have a few exceptionally good teachers, but mostly they encountered just what one would expect - mediocre skills, intellect and infrastructure.

2 minutes ago, cannuck said:

The right way to deal with this whole question is very simple:  give me a voucher for my children's education and I will put it where I feel it is most effective (and supplement that cost if I so choose).

Your solution is to rob funding from the system? That is the problem, not the solution.

8 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Your solution is to rob funding from the system? That is the problem, not the solution.

My solution is that you stop robbing my back pocket to do a piss poor job.   It should be MY choice to use the money I pay to decide how and where my children get educated on my nickel.  "The system" as you call it, is broken.   Why should someone raising a family have to wait several generations to fix it?  Kids need good education when they are borne, not when they are half way to social security.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2017 at 3:54 PM, Michael Hardner said:

By what metric ?

On 2/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, cannuck said:

My solution is that you stop robbing my back pocket to do a piss poor job.   It should be MY choice to use the money I pay to decide how and where my children get educated on my nickel.  "The system" as you call it, is broken.   Why should someone raising a family have to wait several generations to fix it?  Kids need good education when they are borne, not when they are half way to social security.

You are exactly right with regards to public education. Well said and right o the mark. The leftists will cry, but that's what the truth does to some people.

On 2/1/2016 at 0:46 PM, Boges said:

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/30/zumba-yoga-fishing-and-other-pd-day-fun-for-teachers

So Sun columnist Christina Blizzard got her hands on a list of "Professional Development" activities that teachers in the Durham region on Ontario got to choose from in their upcoming PD Day.

Parents have to either take time off or arrange childcare so teachers can essentially take field trips or work outs on a day where they're supposed to be working on their trade. Can't they do these things on their generous summer vacation?

PD Day is a joke. What other profession has a PD Day besides teachers? It's not like they were forced to take a teachers job. I wonder how many working Canadians out there would like to get as many PD Days off like the teachers get off? Can teachers suffer from PSTD? Just curious.   

On 2/20/2017 at 2:44 PM, Cum Laude said:

Do you ever notice the public education is a disaster regardless of ;olitical party in power?

No, I have not noticed that.

I know of at least major school board that I would assess as being very, very good.  Good enough that there are very few private schools, they cannot compete on quality or price with the public board offering.

• Downvote 1

On 2/26/2017 at 10:06 PM, cannuck said:

1) My solution is that you stop robbing my back pocket to do a piss poor job.   It should be MY choice to use the money I pay to decide how and where my children get educated on my nickel.  

2)"The system" as you call it, is broken.   Why should someone raising a family have to wait several generations to fix it?  Kids need good education when they are borne, not when they are half way to social security.

1) Sounds good in theory but educated is a shared service, and you can't opt out any more than I can (no children) or anymore than I can withhold tax dollars for services I don't like.  It's cheaper, anyway, to run these things commonly than as a myriad of private services.  If you want better service, you have a say.  Speak up in a responsible way.

2) Not sure why you think it's broken.  Often times the complaints I hear are due to people falling into anecdotal traps.

Spelling seems to be getting better. ;)

• 5 months later...
On 2/26/2017 at 10:06 PM, cannuck said:

Speaking to 'broken' and 'monopoly'.....the system is certainly broken. My girlfriends daughter is in grade 6, and she laughed the other day when we were talking about school.

She said, "they don't fail students".....what incentive is there? Its broken because we aren't raising educated children!

There should be a contract change for new full time teachers, not the existing ones. They should be deemed an essential service, and not permitted to strike. If you don't like that, pick another profession.

Every time the teachers strike - which incidentally happens right at the school year start it seems - they hold the entire province hostage, and I can't easily send children to another school. As a matter of fact, now I have to arrange something else for them to do. I can't send them somewhere else to learn.

It was mentioned that teachers love what they do so much..... why are you holding the kids hostage too? Of course the response will be, "We are interested in protecting your children's future." That would make sense, if the system were getting better.

There will also be a comment that 'Teachers should have the right to strike!' I would agree if I could go to another place to acquire the education readily, as in not private education.

If a car manufacturer goes on strike, I can go to another manufacturer. I don't have that luxury with teachers.....make them an essential service.

Edited by ChuckN