Canadians Interview Trudeau Jnr

According to the CBC and Peter Mansbridge, this is unlike anything you've ever seen.

CBC

Well, it's not. This happens every year or so in Russia. Vladimir Putin does the same. Here's

to Putin's last "personal interview" with ordinary Russians. (You may have to click inwards. Putin is more "democratic" than Trudeau Jnr since Putin speaks longer to the people than Trudeau Jnr.)

=====

I have a simple definition of democracy: does the person in power peacefully give up power to someone they despise? By that definition, Stephen Harper is a true democrat. Trudeau Jnr's simple populism risks something else.

Edited by August1991

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Trudeau Jnr"? Really? Could your petulance be elevated any further? Why... yes, it can! By your twisted partisan logic: if Putin is, as you say, "more democratic" than "Trudeau Jnr"... cause he talks longer to the people... why, that would mean since your boy Harper forever avoided talking to Canadians directly in any such like manner, that would mean... according to you... "Trudeau Jnr" is soooooooooo much more democratic than Harper ever was! :lol:

you're setting yourself up for a long, long disappointment. Best you get over the election loss and the ever crumbling Harper "legacy"... there's a new sheriff in town... and his name is... Prime Minister of Canada, Justin Trudeau!

Canada has had two federal PMs named Trudeau. To distinguish them, it seems correct to name one Trudeau Snr and the other Trudeau Jnr. I think that this is how Britain refers to its Pitts.

Would you prefer that I refer to Trudeau I and Trudeau II?

======

As to talking to 10 - or even 1000 people, that's not democracy. Canada has 35 million people. Lucien Bouchard was right when he said that for every person who managed to get into his office, there were many thousand more who never got the chance. In any decision, he always thought of these other people.

Edited by August1991

Canada has had two federal PMs named Trudeau. To distinguish them, it seems correct to name one Trudeau Snr and the other Trudeau Jnr. I think that this is how Britain refers to its Pitts.

Would you prefer that I refer to Trudeau I and Trudeau II?

nice try! There's no need to distinguish... no one is going to be confused as to which Prime Minister of Canada was being interviewed today! :lol:

As to talking to 10 - or even 1000 people, that's not democracy. Canada has 35 million people. Lucien Bouchard was right when he said that for every person who managed to get into his office, there were many thousand more who never got the chance. In any decision, he always thought of these other people.

you are the one defining democracy by 'how long the discussion was' - that was you!

Well then thank you Mr. Harder on how to refer to the Right Honourable Justin Trudeau Jr. Thanks for that. I wouldn't want to get anyone upset in how I describe Mr. Trudeau Jr. or Sr., lst or 2nd.

Now back to the thread, the exercise yesterday in my opinion lowered the dignity of the PM's office.

At one point, a young women with holes in her jeans interrupts Mr. Trudeau Jr. in a very rude manner. She couldn't wear proper pants. She didn't know her hole jeans for a meeting with a PM insults the office?

In fact many of the persons brought in were rude. Mr. Trudeau Jr. however sits there and takes it. By doing so he lowered the PMO office and suggests democracy means allowing people to be rude to the PM.

Now does that show the Prime Minister is accessible...caring...human. Clearly in Trudeau's mind it does. For me it shows his own personal need to be liked, supercedes the need for all Canadians to show basic courtesy and respect to the PM.

What it shows me, is that Mr. Trudeau has unresolved psychological issues with his mother's mental illness. Thrust in the role of her emotional caretaker, and "Mama the world is going to be fine, you are going to be fine", he now extends this role on stage, extending it to the public. This is not about being PM. This was about his obsessive need to prove he is a nice man and caring by allowing himself to be interrupted rudely and asked questions he didn't dare answer because he's afraid the truth may have upset them. That refusal to be the bearer of bad news and reality showed a lack of leadership and a patent dishonesty. The need to be liked is overwhelming him and preventing him from being honest. Some people mistake being afraid to tell the cold hard truth with compassion. For me its weakness-the weakness of the person unable to talk truth which sometimes is not nice.

He has turned politics into this ridiculous display of touchy feely talk show banter. He wants to be Oprah Winfrey.

He's dragging down the PM office to cater to his own insecure neurotic need to be liked. Its an embarrassment how he sat their squirming and studdering unable to find the courage to spit out the cold hard answers.

The office of Prime Minister can not be dragged down to Trudeau Jr.'s psychic level of needing to be liked and constantly posing for photo ops.

Trudeau's obsession with being one of the people is immature, naïve and is dragging the office down.

Leaders have to make unpopular decisions. Professionality requires a distance to the client. A teacher who wanrts students to like them, a therapist who allows the personal feelings of their clients to dictate their responses, a lawyer or doctor who allows their emotions to interfere with their ability to advise, are unprofessional. The PMO is not a hug office. The PM can not be all things to all people. In fact if they are doing their job right they should expect and be willing to cope with being hated. When they take on such offices and their responsibilities, they have to make tough, unpopular decisions.

It was ridiculous. Trudeau Jr. didn't dare say to the person facing unemployment, the truth about the manufacturing industry or to the young women with ripped jeans that the government won't be there to pay her way through school forever. He didn't dare tell the senior concerned about senior health issues or that the federal government is bankrupt and can not transfer money to the provinces for health care since it has no money. He didn't dare say the baby boomer bubble has placed such a high demand on medicare that services have to be compromised.

No bads news from Mr. Trudeau Jr. Just smiles and compassion. How nice. Now its time to grow the phack up.

This country is bankrupt, It does not have the ability to be all things to all people. Huge compromises must come. The government is limited. Its not an endless supply of breast milk to be sucked on.

Its leader can run around looking for hugs and photo ops and tell everyone the state tit can be sucked on for all cravings. The tit has shriveled up.

This not about Trudeau's insecurities. Its not about using the office of the PM as a stage to act out feelings of insecurity and allowing people to humiliate the office. This is more than Trudeau, its the PMO office.

Trudeau could have sat next to a fire place, read out some letters and answered them and explained, the government he runs cares but has limits. He chose instead to drag his office into the mud.

No it does not show leadership allowing people to walk into your house with dirty shoes and fart.

It was a pathetic display of softness not leadership.

Leadership comes form strength. Strength does not come from fretting about being imperfect. Its about sucking it in and doing things that hurt and being willing to be unpopular. I do not have time to wait for Justin Trudeau to use the PMO to reach puberty.

Such displays belong one on one, not on t.v. The message was not positive. It showed a weak leader unable to answer questions.

In the short term he may look human, but in the long term all it showed is what we know, Trudeau is over his head and is riddled with insecurities and doubts.

Let him go to a psychiatrist for therapy to deal with his mother. Enough.

Edited by Rue

And we will call him whatever we want and if you don't like it to bad, It is still a free country. But I think it is time for trudeau to stay home and get to work. Like the last PM we had ,he worked all the time, he did not travel around getting selfies .

Lett's change the subject to something more important than the PM name. The guy from London, who had to use up his RRSP's to pay bills, he is/wasn't alone. Many in Ontario, when manufacturing went south, had no choice if they wanted to keep their homes and pay bills. When Ford closed down it hurt London On, badly and now like the Navistar building in Chatham on was torn down so, is the Ford plant to save money on property taxes for the company but lost revenue for London. Shady lives London, Shady what's unemployment like, like rest of SW Ontario??

I didn't watch this. Is it available online or something?

I assume this whole exercise probably falls under the heading of Public Relations, as a slick marketing exercise. Like "Canada's Economic Action Plan", but less expensive.

-k

As opposed to the "Economic Action Plan," it's likely a strategy to show openness and accountability. It's pretty tough to complain that the government isn't open or accountable when the Prime Minister himself takes open questions from the public on live television.

Edit to add: And I should note that this is regardless of his answers. He can give the crappiest answers we've ever heard. Fact is they can still point to this as a way the Liberals are more accountable to the "people" than Harper and the Conservatives ever were.

Edited by cybercoma

His name is not actually Justin Trudeau Jr, since his father's name was Pierre. But hey, apparently the mods figure it's okay to use diminutive names for political leaders, so I look forward to referring to Harper as Little Stevie, going forward.

It is clearly an attempt to denigrate him. I would have expected you at least to realize that.

of course it's purposely intended to denigrate... just a further continuation of the Harper Conservatives belittling campaign tactics - as in 'not ready', 'not his own man', 'only got the leadership because of daddy'. With a focus on current day no one... NO ONE... will be confused if they see the name Trudeau.

It is clearly an attempt to denigrate him. I would have expected you at least to realize that.

Perhaps a very mild form - but genuinely open to interpretation in some cases.......but it pales against the derogatory names that were spewed out against Harper, or Chretien, or Martin. Let's have a bit thicker skin that to get upset over Trudeau Junior.