Pipeline Politics - Is Canada the only "sucker" Nation?

5 minutes ago, poochy said:

Has it been built yet?  They approved two, one was a formality so doesn't count, and the other, we will see.  Call me when they approve something difficult that doesnt run through a rain forest in perfect BC, like energy east.  Of course as for the one they did approve, there is already a pipeline there!  They just want to double it up, so the least controversial and easiest of the controversial pipelines, wow, so impressed.

How many pipelines did Harper get done in 10 years?  

15 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

If anyone is pissed about it they're not gonna jump to CPC...

Oh I'm pro pipeline, don't get me wrong.......I even worked for Kinder Morgan a decade ago.......but I'm also a realist, BC has been soured on O&G development by an effective environmental lobby......ergo, the progressive vote rich Metro Vancouver and Vancouver Island wouldn't support the pipelines even if David Suzuki was pushing it......

And it depends on the riding,  but the Liberals snagged seats from both the NDP and Tories......in some ridings, yes vote splitting, better put NDP supporters returning home, would help the Tories, but more so I'd expect the Tories to regain their more traditional seats (West Vancouver, Coquitlam, much of Surrey and Delta and the interior) with the NDP taking back the more Metro Vancouver seats...... 

15 minutes ago, BC_chick said:

are you stoked because a divided left is the only hope in hell there is for your guys?

Its two for the price of one......."we" get the pipeline and Trudeau wears it...........I doubt it will even get built, mostly once Trump approves Keystone XL.

Edited by Derek 2.0

14 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Elizabeth May is not pleased..

To say the very least.  Watching her meltdown on Power Play yesterday was cringe worthy stuff.  Instead of behaving like the Member of Parliament that she is, the woman more resembled some wigged out ecowarrior princess ranting on about chaining herself to bulldozers.  One has to wonder if she is in complete control of her faculties. 

15 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Sure....its really good for the Trudeau Liberals.......in 2019, they need not waste time and resources campaigning in British Columbia :lol:

The protests have already started in Greater Vancouver....

Anyone still wondering why they call it the 'Left Coast'........stay tuned the reasons will be on full display in the coming days.

1 hour ago, Smallc said:

So Trudeau is already up to 3 in one year assuming these get built. 

Well actually he's at 2 since he squashed a previously approved pipeline which gives him a -1. Lol

Like you said....assuming they get built. Trudeau certainly opened up a can of worms on this one. He managed to piss off the people of BC and the environmentalists (namely E May) who were always waving his flag. I wonder if May will actually stick to her word and get arrested during the protests. 

14 hours ago, BC_chick said:

Yeah this is not gonna fly well for them here at all. I hope it gets Christy Clark kicked out too. 

NDP should also cut ties with Notley.  (ETA - that part is wishful thinking I know it can't happen)

This was a bad day for Canada. 

Bad day for Canada you say, I think not.  Bad day for those who hypercritically oppose pipelines while making full use of all the by-products of oil.  Get rid of your car, cell phone, computer and every other possession you have that is partly or wholly dependent on oil.............then come back and talk about how this is bad for Canada.  You might actually have a leg to stand on then. 

4 minutes ago, mowich said:

Bad day for Canada you say, I think not.  Bad day for those who hypercritically oppose pipelines while making full use of all the by-products of oil.  Get rid of your car, cell phone, computer and every other possession you have that is partly or wholly dependent on oil.............then come back and talk about how this is bad for Canada.  You might actually have a leg to stand on then. 

NO! Those things can be produced with 100% wind power! [/s]

That oil is going to get to market somehow. These "Bomb" trains that people fret about are far more carbon intensive and less safe. 

Edited by Boges

5 minutes ago, mowich said:

How about you folks who don't seem to think we need clean water, air or soil to get by on stop using them.......then come back and talk about how this is okay for Canada.  You might actually have a leg to stand on then.

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

NO! Those things can be produced with 100% wind power! [/s]

That oil is going to get to market somehow. These "Bomb" trains that people fret about are far more carbon intensive and less safe. 

What makes you think people can't stop these too?  Bomb another community with one of these and see what happens.  

14 hours ago, TimG said:

On the contrary. It was a great day for Canada. For the first time the Trudeau government stood up to the incessant NIMBYs that live comfortably only because of past developments but now want to block any future developments. He combined it with a carbon tax that includes Alberta and billions for spill response. If the NIMBYs in Vancouver actually cared about something other than their own egos they would put effort into ensuring that the spill response teams are put in place with the proper training an equipment. 

I heartily agree with you on all points, Tim.   

2 hours ago, Accountability Now said:

Well actually he's at 2 since he squashed a previously approved pipeline which gives him a -1. Lol

Like you said....assuming they get built. Trudeau certainly opened up a can of worms on this one. He managed to piss off the people of BC and the environmentalists (namely E May) who were always waving his flag. I wonder if May will actually stick to her word and get arrested during the protests. 

Everybody should calm down.  The only line that has any slim chance of being built is Line 3, which is hardly new.  Major maintenance is more  like it.

Kinder Morgan won't be completed, Trudeau has exactly 157 ways, called conditions,  to slow it into oblivion.  He'll use all of them. And the eco loons will turn the right of way into a bloodbath, which will cause JT to call for a committee to discuss it for a few more years.

Gateway was dead long ago, why would Trudeau even mention it now?  I wonder how that strict tanker moratorium will affect the daily passage of Immense US tankers passing by on that very coast, every day, headed south  from Valdez in Alaska?  Will we have to call out our Navy to frighten off and deal harshly the US tankers?

52 minutes ago, overthere said:

Kinder Morgan won't be completed, Trudeau has exactly 157 ways, called conditions,  to slow it into oblivion.  He'll use all of them. 

Potentially...but he will be on record as the guy who approved it which has given him enemies for life regardless of it ever being built. I have always said, when you spend 10 years in politics you will eventually piss off too many people to keep you in office. Trudeau is getting is first taste of this now. 

55 minutes ago, overthere said:

Gateway was dead long ago, why would Trudeau even mention it now?  

There needs to be a final approval or rejection which is what he did. I agree....this thing was dead a long time ago but he thought he would slide it in to make a shit sandwich....two approvals with a rejection filler. 

22 hours ago, mowich said:

Today the Liberal government of Canada approved Line 3 and Kinder Morgan but said no to Northern Gateway pipelines.  I fully support all these decisions.  This is good for ALL Canadians. 

Line 3a dr is irrelevant. (It already exists)

Cancelling Northern Gateway is wrong, but whatever.

Kinder Morgan won't happen. BC tree-huggers/Suzuki people will stop it.

=====

Justin Trudeau is trying to be a typical Liberal: Signal Left but turn Right.

His father, far more concerned about keeping a federal Canadian State together, referred to it as the "radical middle".

Trudeau Snr understood Canada; Trudeau Jnr is not bald.

Everyone knows I hate Trudeau but this is the second time I am defending him in two days. I must have some kind of hormonal imbalance.

That said, he prevented the pipeline through a sensitive rain forest region but approved pipelines that will be  safe.

He balanced the environment with the need to keep people employed. I think it was a good compromise. You do the right thing everyone hates you but the point is we need pipelines if they are safe.

I don't piss on politicians who seek compromise and take into consideration both positions and look for a middle ground.

Me personally I think it was a good decision.

Its easy to say no pipelines. I think they are very bad for sensitive areas on the planet but to ban them entirely uh no its not realistic not unless the same mouths whining about the pipelines stop driving cars, flying in jets, etc. Until every damn leftist and rightist agrees to give up fossil fuel we are stuck with pipelines.

I mean God bless David Suzuki but he flies everywhere and drives a car too. He hasn't given up either.

Geez I am on this board now twice defending Trudeau. This is not good. I need to wash my mouth out. Plfft.

Edited by Rue

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Everyone knows I hate Trudeau but this is the second time I am defending him in two days. I must have some kind of hormonal imbalance....

Rue, Trudeau Snr was bald. Our current PM has hair.

=====

Many wish for a world of politicians who openly say such things, without fear, because they believe what they say is true:

Trudeau Snr once said: "I want to put Quebec in its place. And its place is within Canada."

Ronald Reagan once said: "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall." 

Edited by August1991