The Spoiler-Filled, Spoilerific Star Wars: The Force Awakens Thread

kimmy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All that aside, I think the hype about spoilers is excessive. The film's big bombshell-- that Kylo Ren is actually Han and Leia's son-- was dropped early on.

That Han dies at the end is, I guess, pretty shocking, but you could see it coming.

I felt like Kylo Ren was kind of an emo little wuss. All hat and no cattle. He clearly needs to go back to Sith School. Rey kicked his ass, and it was her first day on the job.

-k

All that aside, I think the hype about spoilers is excessive. The film's big bombshell-- that Kylo Ren is actually Han and Leia's son-- was dropped early on.

That Han dies at the end is, I guess, pretty shocking, but you could see it coming.

I felt like Kylo Ren was kind of an emo little wuss. All hat and no cattle. He clearly needs to go back to Sith School. Rey kicked his ass, and it was her first day on the job.

-k

The film was predictable throughout. I didn't mind it, but c'mon. I knew that Rey was gonna be Luke's daughter from her first scene, I guess that's how they'll explain her natural Jedi skills. But Kylo Ren was made to look way too soft and unstable. I really hoped that killing Solo would strengthen him, but for a trained Jedi to pretty much lose a sword fight to a generic stormtrooper and then proceed to get his handed to him by Rey was laughable.

A movie like this is only as good as the bad guy in it, and the bad guy was sad indeed. If Disney wanted to expand the story, they woulda made Kylo Ren worse than Vader, but...ho hum. they chose the PC route.

I'd didn't think it was a bad movie, but in my opinion, didn't live up to anywhere near the hype. I felt it too predictable, maybe not a reboot, but a remix of the original Star Wars. I felt the actress that played Rey did a a good job, I felt Kylo Ren was bad as in school shooting bad, Finn started off alright, but the second half would have been better if they killed him off instead of Han Solo (but I understand that Harrison Ford is too rich and doesn't want to make anymore Star Wars movies).......liked the little BB8 droid, the pilot Poe (my wife really liked him) and Chewie of course......My son heard a rumor that Benicio del Toro will be in the next one........older Boba Fett?

We'll go see the next one, but probably wait for cheap night.

I knew that Rey was gonna be Luke's daughter from her first scene,

Was that actually established in the film?

I gathered that's the case from the voiceover in the trailer, the one that says "the Force is strong in my family. My father had it. I have it. My sister had it. And you have it." I assume that was Luke speaking to Rey, but that dialogue didn't actually happen in the film.

It does explain the lightsaber "calling out to her".

Sooooo uh, why does Luke have a daughter? In the "Expanded Universe" books, Luke hooked up with Mara Jade, but it seems as if the new movies have completely thrown the Expanded Universe books in the trash and started with a blank slate.

-k

It would have been more fun if the black guy was their son.

The movie was OK. The plot seemed to mostly be a rehash of the first couple movies, with the old actors plopped into the story. They plugged in a woman as a Like clone, and a ginger monkey subbing for Darth Vader.The only question is how long can they string it all out? My guess is for at least 20 years from now.

Speaking of Darth Vader, if you have not seen this you should: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv5iEK-IEzw

Was that actually established in the film?

I gathered that's the case from the voiceover in the trailer, the one that says "the Force is strong in my family. My father had it. I have it. My sister had it. And you have it." I assume that was Luke speaking to Rey, but that dialogue didn't actually happen in the film.

It does explain the lightsaber "calling out to her".

Sooooo uh, why does Luke have a daughter? In the "Expanded Universe" books, Luke hooked up with Mara Jade, but it seems as if the new movies have completely thrown the Expanded Universe books in the trash and started with a blank slate.

-k

They didn't say it...but, I think we know.

All I know is that the universe woulda been a much happier place if the whole Skywalker clan had just been killed off or if they just left Anniken on Tatooine.

-k

A better question (thought of by my wife), if she is his daughter, why does she have a British accent? In the Star Wars universe, the Imperials tend to have British accents, with the Rebels an American accent.......I'd assume this was a purposeful contrast by Lucas, to signify the Imperials coming from the center of the (Star Wars) universe, and the rebels coming from the outer colonies....

Could Luke have knocked up an Imperial?

A better question (thought of by my wife), if she is his daughter, why does she have a British accent? In the Star Wars universe, the Imperials tend to have British accents, with the Rebels an American accent.......I'd assume this was a purposeful contrast by Lucas, to signify the Imperials coming from the center of the (Star Wars) universe, and the rebels coming from the outer colonies....

I don't if Disney thought that far ahead, but they will be forced to tie the relationship together somehow. I hope we're not going to have to bear out the concept that Rey's mother is now a bad guy and Rey must confront her a'la Vader/Luke and Kylo/Solo - That would be too much, too soap opera.

I don't if Disney thought that far ahead, but they will be forced to tie the relationship together somehow. I hope we're not going to have to bear out the concept that Rey's mother is now a bad guy and Rey must confront her a'la Vader/Luke and Kylo/Solo - That would be too much, too soap opera.

How about that chrome stormtrooper in Kimmy's OP?

Yep, I think you've solved it! I was trying to think if we've seen an Imperial woman. And, I guess i gapped, but you've cracked it. Good one!

I think so.....why else give a stormtrooper a notable role? I liked Daniel Craig's cameo as the Trooper Rey used her Jedi mind tricks on though.

I think so.....why else give a stormtrooper a notable role? I liked Daniel Craig's cameo as the Trooper Rey used her Jedi mind tricks on though.

haha, that was Daniel Craig?

Is Captain Phasma even still alive? I thought they stuffed her down a trash compactor on a planet that was about to blow up.

-k

Obi Wan Kenobi's granddaughter.... you heard it here first...

haha, that was Daniel Craig?

Yup, the wife picked it up during the movie.....googled it after and it turns out he was filming the latest Bond at the same studio in England.

Is Captain Phasma even still alive? I thought they stuffed her down a trash compactor on a planet that was about to blow up.

-k

My wife has read that nearly the entire cast from Force Awakens is signed onto the next film, including the actress that played Phasma and.......Harrison Ford (flashback or blue ghost???)

Obi Wan Kenobi's granddaughter.... you heard it here first...

I don't think the timeline would work out........the time between New Hope through Return of the Jedi and Force Awakenings has to be 20+ years for Kylo Ren to have grown up, Rey has to be younger than Ren...

I don't think the timeline would work out........the time between New Hope through Return of the Jedi and Force Awakenings has to be 20+ years for Kylo Ren to have grown up, Rey has to be younger than Ren...

Granddaughter.... Obi Wan could have had a child pre-Star Wars (50 years ago, for the sake of argument?)... Obi Wan's granddaughter Rei born 20 years ago or so... works fine! Edited by The_Squid

Ok, I'll take a stab at it;

Backstory: Luke has become a galactic man-whore. Silver stormtrooper (Obi-Wans daughter, named Alice Kenobi) infiltrates the rebels as a young woman, they fall in love, Luke trains her in the jedi ways with the expectation that they bring peace to the galaxy. She later finds out that her destiny is with the Imperials, Luke somehow knows this. She is pregnant, gives birth and is told the baby died - she loses her shit and joins the Imperials. Luke takes the baby to...whatever planet. She knows that Kylo has the powers of the dark side and when he's ready, she brings him into the fold.

The movie: Luke trains Rey in the Jedi ways. He is conflicted but he knows the only who can stop Sliver woman (for some reason) is her own daughter. She takes off to do the deed, unknowing who she is facing. Luke gets drawn into the fight. He travels to save his daughter Rey, but it's too late - an epic battle ensues and Rey fights Silver woman (who is played by Angelina Jolie), Rey does just fine - but weakens and is full of doubt as she learns the truth. Luke kills Silver woman. Luke is very much injured and that's when Kylo steps in to finish Luke. Rey tries to fight Kylo, but he has just absorbed all of Luke's power and becomes stronger. Rey will live to battle her cousin on another day and in another movie - Finn will be very supportive because he loves Rey. He'll spend the movie killing random stormtroopers and generally clearing the path for the main storyline

Silver woman is Gwendolyn Christie, from Game of Thrones. She's about a foot taller than Angelina Jolie, I believe. I find it kind of hard to picture her being somebody who could fight a Jedi or lead Ben Solo to Grandmaster Snoop, as all she accomplished in Episode 7 is getting punched out by a Wookie.

Hey, do you guys think Snoop is really 30 feet tall, or does he just have a really big hologram to compensate for other shortcomings?

I heard a crazy theory about Snoop's real identity. Will post later.

-k