Ban Times Tables in School

The multiplication tables, or the memorization of them, has been demonized in modern day educratic circles where people with pointy heads try to influence the latest generation of Academic" hostages.

I think memorizing the tables are good. It allows one to quickly move on to the next part of a challenging problem without having to exert the effort of figuring out what 8x7 is.

Many think that it is damaging to students to memorize the tables.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/12033514/Ban-times-table-tests-in-schools-says-academic.html

I have to agree with this guy: http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/24308-people-dont-understand-21st-century-math/?p=1035870

I find your opinion a knee-jerk old fashioned way of thinking....

So you are in favour of banning multiplication tables? Yes, I used to think like that. I'm ashamed to admit it, but we all make changes to how we view things. I witnessed first hand the damage inquiry math was doing to students.

So you are in favour of banning multiplication tables? Yes, I used to think like that. I'm ashamed to admit it, but we all make changes to how we view things. I witnessed first hand the damage inquiry math was doing to students.

I don't think students need to learn math at all.

I think all learning should be done at their own pace and that teachers should get hefty raises just to babysit kids while they try and learn to read on their own.

I think all learning should be done at their own pace and that teachers should get hefty raises just to babysit kids while they try and learn to read on their own.

How would learning be done at a 7 year old's won pace.....for example? What if their pace is super slow? What do you do?

When you provide tongue-in-cheek sarcasm, make sure you include the little smiley..... <_<

I'd argue that people going into fields that require math would benefit from not requiring memorization. Whereas most other people wouldn't

It IS the poverty ... just not in the way those school boards mean it. The affluent parents simply send their kids to Kumon, Sylvan, or Kaplan, to overcome school foolishness. The poor parents are stuck trusting schools.

The obvious irony is that schools do it because they think this is the way for greater equity -- not to demand much from anyone. They don't realize they actually contribute to making the gaps bigger, as the poor have few alternatives to public schooling.