Islamophobia in Canada

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm curious.  Given my obvious disgust at the more barbaric aspects of Islamic behaviour, what criteria would I have to meet that you do not that would make me a racist? 

Stop being so right wing about it I guess.

6 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Judaism isn't conducting a global terror campaign against the Infidel. Islam, however...

It's the right wing campaign against anything that isn't right wing that's causing all the problems, which is really funny considering how conservative radical Islam is.

3 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

That's your excuse for Islam? Excellent. Let the death cult in because...well...aren't they ALL death cults deep down??

Not what he said to be fair. What he is posing which is not by the way new on this thread or any thread similar to it is that if you assign negative blame to all Muslims for the negative (terrorist behaviour) of specific Muslims, that is illogical and/or discriminatory. He's not condoning terrorism or fundamentalism or death cults, etc.

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's the right wing campaign against anything that isn't right wing that's causing all the problems, which is really funny considering how conservative radical Islam is.

You need to go to school and learn to read and find out what Conservatism actually means.. Fundamentalist Islam is not even remotely similar to Conservatism. But hey why let actual definitions get in the way of your stereotypes right?  Hey its spelled E D M U N D   B U R K E  not M U H A M ME D.

" Some believe he was destined for greatness. I say, its hard to tell if he fell on his head or was born that way "

Rue 1342

• Like 1

Just now, Rue said:

You need to go to school and learn to read and find out what Conservatism actually means..

All I need to do is apply the same meaning to the term right wing as the people in post revolutionary France did.

It's the right wing that's the problem not conservatism.

2 hours ago, carepov said:

My interpretation of the Canadian Muslim survey shows that there is no evidence of the existence of a Muslim nation within our nation, and even less concern for a future development of such a nation.

Besides, Canada already has multiple "nations within our nation", while this poses challenges it is not a threat.

On what do you base your interpretation? As I pointed out, Muslims in Britain have the same pride of being British. The only difference I can see is tje Canadian survey didn't ask uncomfortable questions. Also, there are more of them in the UK than there are in Canada. However, not a lot more. The figures are 4.4% in the UK and 3.2% in Canada as of the last census. But their numbers have been doubling every ten years - unlike any other 'nation within our nation' so I expect them to reach 6.5% by next census.

Edited by Argus

1 hour ago, Omni said:

True. As a matter of fact it shows that Muslim's express more pride in being Canadian, than many of us who were born here.

Certainly more than you...

The British Muslims also expressed more pride in being British than those born there, but they still wanted to put gays in prison. But I guess you're fine with that.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

Certainly more than you...

The British Muslims also expressed more pride in being British than those born there, but they still wanted to put gays in prison. But I guess you're fine with that.

You think there aren't a lot of pasty white Canadians that that don't think the same? 

5 minutes ago, Argus said:

On what do you base your interpretation? As I pointed out, Muslims in Britain have the same pride of being British. The only difference I can see is there are more of them than there are in Canada. However, not a lot more. The figures are 4.4% in the UK and 3.2% in Canada as of the last census. But their numbers have been doubling every ten years - unlike any other 'nation within our nation' so I expect them to reach 6.5% by next census.

"Muslims truly stand out as being among the most enthusiastic group of Canadian patriots. More than eight in ten are very proud to be Canadian (more so than the nonMuslim population) and this sentiment has strengthened over the past decade, especially in Quebec. Strong religious identity notwithstanding, Muslims are as likely as others in this country to say their Canadian identity is very important. And they agree with other Canadians on what makes Canada a great country: its freedom and democracy, and its multicultural diversity. Their greatest dislike, not surprisingly, is the cold climate. Muslims increasingly express a strong sense of belonging to the country, and one manifestation is a high level of participation in last fall’s federal election. They also stand out as being upbeat about the direction of the country overall: nine in ten say it is moving in the right direction, a 10 point increase since 2006 and in contrast to declining confidence expressed by the non-Muslim population....

...Muslims are as likely as nonMuslims to place strong value on diversity and connections between cultures. And they agree with other Canadians about the values that immigrants should be adopting when they settle in Canada – language fluency, tolerance and respect for others and different cultures, appreciation of Canadian history, and respect for the law."

http://www.environicsinstitute.org/uploads/institute-projects/survey of muslims in canada 2016 - final report.pdf

As you can see (by my bold excerpts) it is much more than just pride in Canada, clearly Muslim Canadians are not forming a nation within a nation.

15 minutes ago, Omni said:

You think there aren't a lot of pasty white Canadians that that don't think the same? 

I do not recommend this line of argument.  After all two wrongs don't make a right.

IMO, the failure of the Canadian Muslim community to accept homosexuality is a valid criticism.

Just now, carepov said:

I do not recommend this line of argument.  After all two wrongs don't make a right.

IMO, the failure of the Canadian Muslim community to accept homosexuality is a valid criticism.

Certainly it's a valid criticism, but no more valid than the home grown similar attitude. I just get a little tired of the somewhat constant narrow minded finger pointing at faults of the Muslim community. And sadly, just to follow up on some other information that comes out of the same/ similar surveys as you have used/quoted, one of the growing concerns that the Muslim community is experiencing is growing racism directed toward them.

1 hour ago, Omni said:

As you? Yes, there are a lot of progressives, unfortunately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carepov said:

And they agree with other Canadians on what makes Canada a great country: its freedom and democracy, and its multicultural diversity.

Again, I put a different interpretation on this than you appear to be doing. You see it as Muslims being happy that there are many other different kinds of peoples and cultures who can be as different as they want to be. I see it as Muslims being happy that our 'multicultural diversity' allows THEM to be as different as they want to be and accommodates their religious beliefs in many ways while putting little to no pressure on them to assimilate.

1 hour ago, carepov said:

And they agree with other Canadians about the values that immigrants should be adopting when they settle in Canada – language fluency, tolerance and respect for others and different cultures, appreciation of Canadian history, and respect for the law."

The only one of those which gives any assures is tolerance, and I am uncertain just what they mean by it. Ie, others tolerance for them, or their own tolerance for others. Certainly there doesn't seem to be a lot of tolerance for gays and lesbians, nor for uppity women. I'd like to see someone asking them the same questions they asked British Muslims.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

As you? Yes, there are a lot of progressives, unfortunately.

And there are a lot of conservatives who at least try to be progressive. They even changed the name of their political party, but then of course along came the Alliance and Harper and that changed. 

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

Left and Right wing politics are hallmarks of free Western societies. Not your pet Islamic theocracies.

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Not what he said to be fair. What he is posing which is not by the way new on this thread or any thread similar to it is that if you assign negative blame to all Muslims for the negative (terrorist behaviour) of specific Muslims, that is illogical and/or discriminatory. He's not condoning terrorism or fundamentalism or death cults, etc.

Please...pedal it elsewhere. Islam is the West's traditional enemy. Individual Muslims aside...

3 hours ago, carepov said:

Yes, it is a valid criticism.  However, when this criticism is accompanied by the claim that Muslims want to jail/kill homosexuals it tips from valid criticism into hyperbole based on ignorance.    Most Muslims believe that homosexuality is wrong and that God will take care of it when the time comes, which is not a lot different than the views of many Christians.  

It's true that some Muslim *countries* impose jail or even death on homosexuals, but that's no more the fault of Islam than it is the fault of Christianity when it happens in Christian countries.    

51 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Yes, it is a valid criticism.  However, when this criticism is accompanied by the claim that Muslims want to jail/kill homosexuals it tips from valid criticism into hyperbole based on ignorance.    Most Muslims believe that homosexuality is wrong and that God will take care of it when the time comes, which is not a lot different than the views of many Christians.  

It's true that some Muslim *countries* impose jail or even death on homosexuals, but that's no more the fault of Islam than it is the fault of Christianity when it happens in Christian countries.    

Most Muslims .....thats a lie.....where do these "MOST" MUSLIMS LIVE......

Below countries impose death sentences for Gays.....Most of them are Muslim........ 

https://76crimes.com/10-nations-where-the-penalty-for-gay-sex-is-death/

77 countries that impose jail time for being gay.......I think it would be faster to list Muslim countries not on the list....as most have made the hit list......

https://76crimes.com/76-countries-where-homosexuality-is-illegal/

Don't say Islam has NOT played a role in these laws, Islam dictates everything in a muslim's life....Just as christianity once did .....Both religions are guilty in forcing it's followers into ideas favorable with the churches heads of state....only difference is christianity has matured faster, now to the point where a lot of christians have dropped religion all together or stopped practicing it....I would say that there are more non practicing christians that practicing christians......you can not say the same thing about muslims.....religion is the number one thing in their lives.....not many Muslims around that are part timers, or really don't practice....

• Like 3

I find it hard to see any distinction between islam and Roman Catholicism. Both have the reputation for oppressing women, persecuting other faiths and denominations, and persecuting gays. Both have a reputation for terrorism. Both are burdened by reputations they do not deserve. They are blamed for a few whackos like ISIS and the IRA, neither of which represent Islam or Christianity.