Islamophobia in Canada

So, in agreeing with Trump, are you comfortable being painted with the same brush - that of being a bigot and an Islamaphobe?

By you? Who cares?

Islam is what it is. Religious fascism with a history of not getting along with Western Civilization. Violently not getting along with...

So now all Trump supporters are bigots. :rolleyes:

I hope the irony of such blanket condemnations aren't lost on everyone.

Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities. Thousands become the brave and loyal soldiers of the Queen; all know how to die; but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world.

---Sir Winston Churchill

Actually, what you're saying is that it's ok for this poster to call you a 'bigot' here.

We're actually asking people not to call people bigots unless it's inline with the other poster's views. Even then, it threatens to derail the thread pretty easily.

But, ok.

She/he can call me as she/he wishes. I'm not offended.

Where in my post did I say ISIS? BTW I do see a trend of people equating anything bad to ISIS, it's like Godwins Law, if everything is Hitler/ISIS, nothing is Hitler/ISIS.

At this point, I wouldn't oppose the West removing their involvement in the Middle East. But Oil is a factor, and the whole reason the US intervened in 1991.

We can see this with how Saudi Arabia has basically shut down the Alberta Oil Sands by flooding the market with their oil. The people that run Saudi Arabia are the worst, but they basically control the world's oil prices. Sure we can aspire to a world without Oil, but that's not happening for the next few decades and when Fracking and the Tar Sands are so out of favour with the public, we have to deal with these people are care about their interests.

But this has little to do with someone's opinion of radical Islam. I would have the same opinion of someone with radical Islamic opinions as a white racist (The KKK and WBC keeps being thrown around). Both are bigots and should be seen as such.

I don't understand why people conflate critiques of Racial Islam with an outright condemnation of the entire religion.

Free speech, criticism and debating is good. Generalization based on ignorance is a waste of time and counter productive.

The biggest problem here is that there are people who label and generalize and "paint a whole group with one stroke". I know Muslims and I know how wrong these bigots are. I am not going to accept grouping 1.5 billion as one. I am not going to accept, expecting Muslims to apologize for extremists.

Edited by Hudson Jones

Free speech, criticism and debating is good. Generalization based on ignorance is a waste of time and counter productive.

The biggest problem here is that there are people who label and generalize and "paint a whole group with one stroke". I know Muslims and I know how wrong they are. I am not going to accept grouping 1.5 billion as one. I am not going to accept, expecting Muslims to apologize for extremists.

But who's doing that?

I get that when Trump says "All Muslims should be barred" that gets people's ire on. So what The Leaf's Nazim Khadri can't play in the US anymore? It's wrong, no doubt about it. He has to be doing it for shock value, because he can't believe that'll actually happen.

But disagreeing with the idea that women should have to cover their face, or that disputes should be decided based on an Islamic court are things that fly in the face of Western Democratic values. How is it bigoted to condemn those ideas?

I'm not making broad statements about a religion, I'm criticizing ideas within that religion. Like people do about Christians with Pro-Life or Anti-Gay opinions all the time. There's no difference IMHO.

The day folks enact blasphemy laws that make it illegal to criticize religion, then perhaps I'll shut-up at that point. Or burned at the stake...

It's already a crime if one is unlucky enough to be a target of a HRC.

I hate to mention this......

Section 296 of the Canadian Criminal Code

(1) Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

http://centreforinquiry.ca/canadas-blasphemous-libel-law/

Many Canadians are unaware that Canada continues to carry an anti-blasphemy law in the criminal code. Criminal Code Section 296 is the law which has remained on Canadian books since 1892. Blasphemy laws are, by their very design, contrary to the idea of secularism – the separation of church and religion from the state and laws which govern people. - See more at: http://centreforinquiry.ca/canadas-blasphemous-libel-law/#sthash.cMgjSzlB.dpuf

She/he can call me as she/he wishes. I'm not offended.

I absolutely do consider many of your comments bigoted, as I do Trump's.

Trump is right that there's something WRONG with Islam and that until it is FIXED...No Islam allowed.

That is my sister you and Trump are talking about - she is neither violent nor radical, she is as frightened of ISIS and similar extremist groups as you and any other Westerner, as any one of 1.6 BILLION other Islam followers. And given that she actually lives in the Middle East, she is at a hell of a lot higher risk than Trump is, or than you are. And now she also gets to be held responsible by such as you and Trump for the actions of people who would kill her because she doesn't wear a headscarf. She knows that if she were identified as a Muslim while in Canada, some jerks would feel justified in attacking her, calling her names or demanding that she leave the country - because, like Trump and yourself, they hold a view that *Islam* is evil and thus their followers are not worthy of respect.

The willfull ignorance of comments such as the one I quoted above is appalling, and the refusal to accept anything but a narrow, perverted 'truth' is EXACTLY the same problem with EVERY EXTREMIST. Ignorance and intolerance drives extremism, it puts innocent Jews in ovens and innocent Japanese in internment camps; it makes people put on suicide vests and it makes dumbasses such as Trump declare that billions of people are wrong and unwelcome - which statements you support. Already among the conservative Islamaphobes there are whispers of extermination of the over 1.5 Billion people who PEACEFULLY follow Islam - and that is exactly, supposedly, the evil you claim you are against. Read about that here and here, watch it here. Then look in the mirror and ask yourself if that's the kind of people you want to stand with.

If it was Moonies shooting up the joint there wouldn't be an issue calling a spade a spade.

Extremists are wrong on every level, whether its some shithead wearing a suicide vest in the name of Islam or some shithead creating conflict and fear, and putting innocent people at risk in the name of political power. Trump's ideology is no more acceptable to me than is ISIS. Your conservative bigoted comments about Islam are no more acceptable to me than some equally bigoted conservative Muslim deciding my sister is not Muslim enough for them.

But who's doing that?

I get that when Trump says "All Muslims should be barred" that gets people's ire on. So what The Leaf's Nazim Khadri can't play in the US anymore? It's wrong, no doubt about it. He has to be doing it for shock value, because he can't believe that'll actually happen.

Don't you understand how dangerous those comments are to innocent people, especially if he's aiming for shock value

Kinda like Palin with her crosshairs comment and Fiorina and her planned parenthood comments. Right wing nutbars take these comments very seriously.

I absolutely do consider many of your comments bigoted, as I do Trump's.

That is my sister you and Trump are talking about - she is neither violent nor radical, she is as frightened of ISIS and similar extremist groups as you and any other Westerner....et al.

Your sister is Muslim. She is not Islam. As the ol' saying goes....Oskar Schindler was a nice Nazi.

I hate to mention this......

Section 296 of the Canadian Criminal Code

(1) Every one who publishes a blasphemous libel is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years.

I'm aware Canada has some archaic laws originally designed to keep those darn evolutionists and such in their place.

By you? Who cares?

Islam is what it is. Religious fascism with a history of not getting along with Western Civilization. Violently not getting along with...

Some people can't stand truth when it contradicts their ideology.

Some people can't stand truth when it contradicts their ideology.

Not to worry. I'll be an Islamophobe right until I get blowed-up real good. Then it'll be "Je Suis DogOnPorch"....he was so brave....

Edited by DogOnPorch