Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

I give the Liberals credit for delaying the process. It was the prudent thing to do.

But to show how contrary Canadians can be, some of the same who were convinced the plan was moving too fast are now yapping about a broken promise. Go figure!

When people vote in a general election, they may base their decision on a variety of factors... Local and national Candidate's personality, dislike of the alternatives, recent history, and the party platforms/election promises. In theory, at least some people may have made their voting decision based on the election promise of "25k refugees by year end". (It may not have been a deciding factor in the election, but it was still a promise.)

So, there are 2 possibilities:

- The Liberals were lying in their initial promise, knowing that it would be pretty much impossible to settle that many refugees in that time, but continued making the claim because it was such a hot button issue that might get them some votes. Some people have a natural dislike of such manipulation, even if they might have disagreed with the initial promise

- The Liberals are incompetent, making rash promises without actually thinking of the logistics of settling so many people so quickly

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trudeau's delay of Syrian refugees was not a flip-flop or broken promise but a right move to make. He will still admit the 25000 refugees but 15000 a month or two later and that is no big deal.

The fact that it was a broken promise and the fact that it was the "right movie to make" are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

The liberals did say they would let in 25000 refugees by year's end. It was a foolish promise to make, and they should have considered that perhaps we did not have the logistics to settle that many Syrian refugees that quickly, but it was still a promise.

Now, you have labeled the delay as "no big deal". And perhaps it is not. It was however still a broken promise, and one that was seen by MANY people prior to the election as questionable.

I do not like Trudeau. I feel the Liberals exploited the Syrian refugee issue for votes I feel they pandered. I feel they took a photo of a dead boy and exploited it for votes.

I feel their playing favourites with Syrian refugees is wrong playing now with gays and women is a joke, and that all refugees must be treated the same way.

All that said and as much as I can not stand what the Liberals did using crass politics to exploit Syrian refugees for votes I think their decision now to slow down is called for and shows maturity and leadership.

You bet I question the idiocy of saying single men can't come to Canada unless they are gay. Yah whatever that means.

I think the Liberals have played with one refugee group at the expense of others to pander for votes-that is despicable and crass..

All that said, I think their decision to slow down, screen outside the country, etc., should be supported. Its the right thing to do now.

I think its time to trust good people to screen for bad people and to help.

Call me naïve but I think its time.

Edited by Rue

I do not like Trudeau. I feel the Liberals exploited the Syrian refugee issue for votes I feel they pandered. I feel they took a photo of a dead boy and exploited it for votes.

I feel their playing favourites with Syrian refugees is wrong playing now with gays and women is a joke, and that all refugees must be treated the same way.

All that said and as much as I can not stand what the Liberals did using crass politics to exploit Syrian refugees for votes I think their decision now to slow down is called for and shows maturity and leadership.

You bet I question the idiocy of saying single men can't come to Canada unless they are gay. Yah whatever that means.

I think the Liberals have played with one refugee group at the expense of others to pander for votes-that is despicable and crass..

All that said, I think their decision to slow down, screen outside the country, etc., should be supported. Its the right thing to do now.

I think its time to trust good people to screen for bad people and to help.

Call me naïve but I think its time.

When you consider the number of promises the Liberals made to win the election (something for everyone) the voters should have realized that it would not be possible to keep all of those promises.

This is where Harper was correct in saying, "Trudeau is just not ready". He(Trudeau) might have actually believed he was going to change the world but he was naïve at best. He does not have the life experience to know what the realities of the world are. One can only hope that he will learn a thing or two!

I agree that the Liberals would have said anything to gain power. The people were so enthralled with the idea of 'change' that they didn't think the ill-advised 'promises' through. I still can't understand fully the desperate need for change at this particular time when the world is so unstable! I liked Canada the way it was.

I disagree with you that excluding single males from the program was a bad idea. In times of threat, it has always been 'women and children first'. Who was first into the life boats when the Titanic was sinking? Women and children.

Who were NOT conscripted when war broke out? Women and children.

'Women and children first' has always been the way of the civilized world.

Women and children are much more vulnerable and in need of protection than single males. Therefore I think this decision was prudent. When (and if) the first and second wave of refugees gets settled and oriented successfully I'm sure single males will get their turn.

And the same soldiers that have been booted out of their place will be assigned to guard those very same premises now housing refugees.

It's all ridiculously wasteful. Why bring people over here at great expense and house them and feed them and cloth them when we could be checking them out much more easily and cheaply back in Turkey or Lebanon? It makes no sense, whatever. For that matter, spending billions to look after a few refugees here instead of giving that money to Turkey or Lebanon to help them look after ten times more is lunacy.

But the lefties have to do it so they can feel good about themselves, I guess. Actually helping isn't as important as putting on a show of how good you are.

You don't even know the process yet, and won't until tomorrow.

Like many conservatives, you're disheartened by the win of PMJT. Conservatives in general have started their attacks on him far to early for most of them to be in any way credible.

What makes you think we'd be in favour of this stupid scheme if the Conservatives were running it? It's a stupid idea no matter who is in charge.

That might be by design, optically, he doesn't look to be backtracking and he doesn't have to field questions about it. Not that the press would pitch anything but softball questions.

I am not a cheerleader for any political team. I state what I see. Harper had his own management style - it worked for him. It was successful and he did hold power for a long time. Harper did what he thought was best with the team that he was given.

Trudeau has a different style. His management style appears to be to distribute the decision making and his Cabinet appears to be his PMO. This may or may not work - time will tell.

As for who did better? - It will depend on what happens and your political philosophy. I will wait to give the Trudeau team a chance - the same chance that Harper had.

No matter your political position you would have to admit that there certainly are a lot of people available to answer questions and do press conferences. There is a danger in that where different messages can be sent. It has already happened once and Trudeau will have to establish some ground rules if his Cabinet is free to share their opinions with the public.

As for the refugees, Canada absorbs about 22,000 new people every month. I believe this issue has been far overplayed by all and is much ado about little.

Do you feel Trudeau took the picture himself or was it some other Liberal?

He sure jumped on it with gleeful, open arms and made a sweeping promise which was irresponsible and impossible.

I can give him credit for acknowledging this, however halfhearted his acknowledgement was, but that doesn't change the fact he exploited the tragedy for political aims.

He sure jumped on it with gleeful, open arms and made a sweeping promise which was irresponsible and impossible.

I can give him credit for acknowledging this, however halfhearted his acknowledgement was, but that doesn't change the fact he exploited the tragedy for political aims.

So if he brings in 25,000 refugees two months later than initially announced you think this is a big deal?

I don't think anyone cares by now and certainly no one who would have voted against him, or for him, will care by next election (unless one of the refugees ends up in a terrorist plot, I guess - but that risk is always there anyways).

So if he brings in 25,000 refugees two months later than initially announced you think this is a big deal?

I think the timing is only important insofar as doing security checks on the refugees is concerned. I think even a couple of months is not enough - as demonstrated by places like the US and UK who plan to take much longer, but it's better than a matter of weeks.

I think the initial promise was irresponsible, and that Harper had it right when he planned for us to take our time, assess them over there, and give preference to Christians, who are not only safer here but far more endangered there.

The tone of the stridency is at least an octave higher than my tinnitus....anyone else hear that?

And it sees to be in crescendo. Especially when you throw in the phony facts that the right see to be throwing in, such as soldiers being thrown out of their homes and the refugees not being checked out before coming here.

What makes you think we'd be in favour of this stupid scheme if the Conservatives were running it? It's a stupid idea no matter who is in charge.

The post you quoted is just one among many examples of the 'the best defense is a good offense' tactic, he knows damn well that the liberals have already back tracked on more than just this, it may only be by degrees, but it's still not what they said they would do. Of course it's just that those of us who didnt vote for them are 'upset' unhuh, of course, i mean, what else could it be?

As for the refugees, Canada absorbs about 22,000 new people every month. I believe this issue has been far overplayed by all and is much ado about little.

Speaking of phony facts... Canada does nothing of the sort. The vast majority of the roughly 250,000 immigrants we take each year are not refugees in any way. 95% of that 250k are picked because they can support themselves from day one, or have family members who guarantee that. All of them pay the costs of their own processing. Only 10k to 15k per year are actual refugees, and many of those are not supported by government resources but by private means, mostly charities.

Canada could not manage 22,000 actual refugees per month.

But we can easily manage 25k in one input, and will. Thanks to Mr Trudeau for climbing down on the timeline, allowing common sense to prevail..

Soldiers generally hate the outdated, cramped and generally shitty accomodations found on military bases. I wonder how much and for how long the Syrian families will love it? This will present a real challenge for CBC by about April/May- presenting feelgood stories about people who want more.. The govt is going to have to get them out of there as quickly as possible.......

Apparently some of you missed the unveiling of the Liberal plan for refugees that they delivered yesterday.

Refugees will only be assigned to military bases if absolutely necessary

All security check will have been completed before the refugees enter Canada

Total cost of Government sponsorship is in excess of 6 billion $.

Refugees will be transported by chartered jets.

There are still a lot of details to be released and I'm sure the media will be probing on Power Play and Power and Politics tonight. Tune in.