CPC Leadership Predictions

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every commentary I've ready in Post, Globe, Start and Citizen, which is maybe a dozen or more, and what commentators are saying on the CBC, CTV and BNN.

And I say again, you are entitled to your opinion. Not hard to find a failed policy though, ever hear of the so called Economic Action Plan, or how about contempt of parliament?

The 'failed policies' of Harper kept them in power for ten years. Policies were not what lost them power. Attitude was what lost them power.

I like Jason Kenney. I really do. I'm just not sure he has the ability to beat now entrenched Trudeau.

Do you think the Left will? The NDP would certainly split up.

I don't see an NDP split happening. I think they shifted towards the center in an attempt to win an election. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for them. The left has options. Under a fair voting system, I expect the NDP to offer a more left leaning platform, truer to their base, than they did this time around. I would also expect the Liberals and NDP to lose a little support to the Greens.

However, the right has just one option and it is an ill fit for many conservatives. Regardless of whether or not Trudeau reforms the electoral system I think we will see the return of the Reform and PC options, but PR will speed up the inevitable. Harper's iron fist was necessary to hold that party together.

"He's just not ready."

It shows the hypocrisy of many CPC supporters (partisans) if they actually think Kenney has any more experience or expertise than Trudeau.

Also, I thought CPC supporters didn't like "career politicians". If anyone ever fit that label, it's Kenney.

He went to a university in the USA to study philosophy.

Kenney also started his career in the Liberal party.

This guy is ALL the things that CPC supporters claim to hate!

If we consider where the LPC came from in 2011 a CPC win in 2019 is not impossible. However, the party might need to realize that it could be in opposition for an extended time. I think they need to consider a leader that is effective in making sure the Liberals don't veer too far to the right.

An example would be the 90's which I feel despite the issues in the conservative movement the liberals cut deficits, cut taxes, etc. The present conservative movement might need to play more defense than offense.

I like Jason Kenney. I really do. I'm just not sure he has the ability to beat now entrenched Trudeau.

Depending on whether four years from now the economy is in the toilet and we're still in deficit after a string of Liberal corruption scandals...

It shows the hypocrisy of many CPC supporters (partisans) if they actually think Kenney has any more experience or expertise than Trudeau.

Why? He's been an mp for 17 years and a very capable cabinet minister for 8.

Trudeau was an MP for 7 years and a school teacher for 2.

So he's a career politician and on of the intellectual elite...

Those are CPC buzzwords used to mock opposition politicians. The hypocrisy is pretty obvious...

Calling him "capable" is stretching it give what's been happening in DND...

So he's a career politician and on of the intellectual elite...

Those are CPC buzzwords used to mock opposition politicians. The hypocrisy is pretty obvious...

Calling him "capable" is stretching it give what's been happening in DND...

I tend to prefer those who are not career politicians for many jobs, but not the top job. You don't suddenly step into the job of PM without political experience.

Nor have conservatives complained about 'intellectuals', but rather, about the intellectually bankrupt academics who let their political ideology guide their findings.

Kenney was only recently appointed to DND.

I tend to prefer those who are not career politicians for many jobs, but not the top job. You don't suddenly step into the job of PM without political experience.Nor have conservatives complained about 'intellectuals', but rather, about the intellectually bankrupt academics who let their political ideology guide their findings.Kenney was only recently appointed to DND.

Mulroney had been around politics a long time but not as an MP, let alone a Cabinet Minister, and he adapted pretty quickly.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Well, one thing I like about BC's carbon tax is that at least Gordon Campbell actually had the balls to tax gasoline, as well as every other fuel. Not so with Dion.

Member G. Huxley speaks disparagingly of the hypothetical "conservative who drives a gas guzzling SUV everywhere and gets so upset when those liberals try to make me pay extra taxes for it." (is he referring to me? I have no idea.)

How much would Dion's Green Shit have cost that hypothetical conservative, or me for that matter?

Zero. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Bupkus. Zero. ZEEERROOO.

All those wealthy urbanites commuting to work in their gas-guzzling SUVs that Huxley hates so much? They were completely off the hook under the Green Shit. Gasoline was to be exempt because the federal excise taxes on gasoline already exceeded targets so no additional taxation was required (according to Dion) or because the Liberal Party's urban voting base wouldn't stand for it (according to Kimmy).

It was to be users of diesel and coal and natural gas that would pick up the tab instead of gasoline users. Diesel, of course, being the lifeblood of Canada's agriculture and forestry and transportation industries, and therefore crucially important to all of rural Canada. Coal and natural gas, of course, being vital to Canada's electrical infrastructure and to the heavy industries that pay the bills in this country.

no - it was anticipated you would have been indirectly affected... as the plan pointedly targeted the 700 largest final emitters, comprised mostly of heavy industry and power plants (the worst polluters in Canada) --- a part of the rationale in not "immediately" including pump gas was uncertainty in how increased costs to industry might be passed on down to consumers by these '700'... notwithstanding, as you say, at that time gas at the pump was already being taxed at 10 cents per litre... the equivalent to $42 per tonne of GHG emissions. The existing... but much lower tax on diesel, gave it a years reprieve before it would have been increased under the 'Green Shift'.

So on the one hand he's decided to raise carbon taxes on fuels that industries depend on and where practical alternatives are scarce or non-existent. And on the other hand he's decided to offer no incentive at all to reduce the #1 source of discretionary carbon generation in this country, automobile travel... surely The Waldo is not fond of that premise!

And to top it off this revenue that's being taken from Canada's rural industries would have been used to provide income tax cuts for those car-loving suburbanites.

industry polluter pays! As an election platform that was expected to be vilified by Harper (as it certainly was), there was an obvious "tempering" of any rush to include pump gas from the onset... obviously it would have been included, to some level, later - if accepted/elected. BC's carbon tax on pump gas initially came in at 2.41 cents a liter... and, by incremental design, now stands at 6.67 cents a liter after increases. Things change.

And yes, people in his own party referred to his plan as "Bag Of Manure", and people in his own party were furious that he was plunging ahead with it in spite of their own polling that showed it was an electoral disaster waiting to happen, and I'm quite please that such a buffoon got the fate he deserved.

Dion just didn't have the hair required to pull it off!

Kenney's chief issue is that he is seen as a social conservative and one of Harper's chief lieutenants. The latter may be overstated, but the former may pose a problem for Kenney. Mind you, I've sensed some rebellion on his part since the Duffy affair exploded. He was one of the high ranking Tories who refused to burn Nigel Wright in effigy, as I recall he even defended Wright. Then there was the near fisticuffs between Kenney and Flaherty over Rob Rod, which Kenney clearly unimpressed with Ford's conduct and more so with a lot of Ontario Tories fixation on and loyalty to the Fords.

I actually think that if Kenney softens the message a bit, commits to a more democratic form of party governance, I think he's certainly the best positioned. But he, or whomever becomes the next leader, is going to have a difficult balancing act between the Reform and PC wings of the party. Harper welded the coalition together with an iron fist, and the question is can a lighter touch keep the troops in line?

That all being said, I do agree with Andrew Coyne's article from a day or two ago that cautions the Tories against pushing to an early leadership contest. With the Liberals guaranteed four years in power, there's no rush, and even the Liberals' own example of running with an interim leader until over half way through the term before picking a permanent leader suggests patience is a virtue. Further, no one knows yet what the 2019 electoral system will look like, and picking a permanent leader before you know what the voting system will look like may be very premature.

Same here.

His accomplishments are significant. He lead what amounted to an all-party backbench revolt, created a fairly significant non-partisan following outside of Ottawa that helped push his reform act through even when the Senate seemed poised to deep six it.

But that may play against him. While he may have lots of fans on the ground, I suspect the Conservative Party establishment does not view him in a favorable light. After all, if the Tory caucus implements the powers the Act gives them, it means diminishing the role of the party in caucus governance, and to some extent in rendering a party of the CPC constitution impotent.

His accomplishments are significant. He lead what amounted to an all-party backbench revolt, created a fairly significant non-partisan following outside of Ottawa that helped push his reform act through even when the Senate seemed poised to deep six it.

But that may play against him. While he may have lots of fans on the ground, I suspect the Conservative Party establishment does not view him in a favorable light. After all, if the Tory caucus implements the powers the Act gives them, it means diminishing the role of the party in caucus governance, and to some extent in rendering a party of the CPC constitution impotent.

Turkeys don't vote for Christmas. I can't imagine him winning.

Does region have anything to do with who the leader is, whether it's interim or the new full time leader?

Do they need a leader from Quebec or Ontario rather than Alberta?

Does region matter? Should it matter?

Does region have anything to do with who the leader is, whether it's interim or the new full time leader?

Do they need a leader from Quebec or Ontario rather than Alberta?

Does region matter? Should it matter?

Region may be a major consideration for the permanent Tory leader, but I think the interim leader will have to be exactly what Bob Rae was, someone who can hold their own in the House, but is also a consensus builder who can weld together a bruised and demoralized party.

Region may be a major consideration for the permanent Tory leader, but I think the interim leader will have to be exactly what Bob Rae was, someone who can hold their own in the House, but is also a consensus builder who can weld together a bruised and demoralized party.

Should the permanent leader be from outside Alberta then? Is that what you mean? Would it be fair to not even consider Albertan CPC members?

I think, if the CPC is smart, that they would select a leader from outside Alberta who is more PC than CPC...