CPC Leadership Predictions

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diane Finley's name is being thrown around for interim leader according to CBC.

I know Diane quite well. She is acceptable but a talking head for others who make the decisions. I also knew her hubby Doug Finley that guru of elections - sorry - Senator Doug Finley - recently deceased. He was the brains and ambition behind Diane and I think she is looking to get out of the spotlight.

While she has been in charge of a number of portfolios, it was the Deputy Ministers who were in charge of facilitating Harpers directions. She went into politics directly from being an office manager in a small organization. I think she should go back to that job with that fat government pension waiting for her.

Jean Charest? Don't you have to be an elected MP to lead a party?

Not at all. There's lots of precedence for unelected people getting the leadership and then running for a seat afterwards. If memory serves, that was even the case with Jean Chretien.

Stockwell day was an alliance guy who was one of the better ministers in cabinet, religious beliefs and all.

Doug ford sounds like a pc guy and well doug ford sideshow.

Doug Ford lol, that would be a disaster. Stockwell will never happen, he was a failed experiment as a leader.

Trick is finding someone that appeals to the broader group of voters, like moderates and left-wing swing voters, not just the base. The base is easy enough to please, especially with only one right-wing party available. I'm not the base, but I have voted conservative more than once, same with the NDP and Liberals. Once Trudeau starts screwing up, which every governing party seems to do at some point, people like me have to be able to be ok with turning to the CPC and stomach voting for them. Swing voters win elections. Nobody can win a majority by appealing just to the base obviously.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Would love to see Bernard Lord as leader. I don't like CHarest. He's a spineless leader and will not be able to defeat Trudeau. I don't think anyone will ever defeat Trudeau. I think he will get another majority after this one then a minority and he will step down during that last minority. So maybe have Charest for now to run against Trudeau until the last Trudeau win in 2024 then Dr. Kellie Leitch oe Bernard Lord will be ready to lead the CPC to victory in 2026 or so.

The problem with a permanent female leader is style matters to the public more than substance. Kellie Leitch is a practically perfect in terms of policy and in bridging the gap between what the core of the party will want and what those last couple of PCs will accept. Her speaking voice is not strong though. It could be misconstrued as a lack of confidence. I imagine that can be coached though.

Doug Ford lol, that would be a disaster. Stockwell will never happen, he was a failed experiment as a leader.

Trick is finding someone that appeals to the broader group of voters, like moderates and left-wing swing voters, not just the base. The base is easy enough to please, especially with only one right-wing party available. I'm not the base, but I have voted conservative more than once, same with the NDP and Liberals. Once Trudeau starts screwing up, which every governing party seems to do at some point, people like me have to be able to be ok with turning to the CPC and stomach voting for them. Swing voters win elections. Nobody can win a majority by appealing just to the base obviously.

Stockwell day has been done for sometime and is never coming back. My point in the matter was just because they are reformers doesnt mean they arent competant as per stockwell day.

As for the rest of your post - spot on

Chrétien spoke perfect English. He had an accent, but his English was by no means fractured.

Fractured was probably the wrong word to use. Heavily accented will do. Anglos are used to hearing heavily accented English. From what I've seen and read Francophones are not nearly so forgiving of their beloved language.

Edited by Scotty