CPC Leadership Predictions

So there's a lot of names being bandied about. What are some of your CPC leadership predictions?

Some of the less common ones that I think are interesting are Jean Charest and Bernard Lord. The latter I would take very seriously if he enters his name into the running. He's a lawyer and fully bilingual, as well as being from the east coast, where the Conservatives were annihilated this election.

• Replies 745
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there's a lot of names being bandied about. What are some of your CPC leadership predictions?

Some of the less common ones that I think are interesting are Jean Charest and Bernard Lord. The latter I would take very seriously if he enters his name into the running. He's a lawyer and fully bilingual, as well as being from the east coast, where the Conservatives were annihilated this election.

There is way too much stuff floating around about corruption allegations with the Quebec Liberal party for the Tories to choose Charest.

The other thread is a confused mess of NDP/CPC ramblings. Let's stick to the topic in this one.

Why Lisa Raitt? She's not bilingual and has two young children. Does she want it?

She's got Good Toronto connections. She was a capable Minister throughout the entire CPC run.

Why would having children make someone not a good PM candidate?

It appears you've used the exact same Con's from this CBC article.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-hall-harper-succession-1.3278943

Here are the Pros.

She's another able communicator, and has developed into a strong cabinet minister, most recently at Transport, where she was tasked with the delicate job of responding to the Lac Mégantic rail disaster.

Her colleagues feel she did a good job on the file, and before that at Labour, where she successfully defused union battles at Canada Post and Air Canada. She will be under pressure to run.

I think having a woman as leader would be good. There is a lot of good female mp's out there and in the goal of modern politics to have a leader who creates a stir then the possibility of a female PM would certainly do so.

Brad Wall isnt going anywhere, he is needed right here in Sask. Though after he wins the spring election i would not be opposed to see him in Ottawa. As others have noted, there is an aversion to accept anyone without French background into the establishment.

The other thread is a confused mess of NDP/CPC ramblings. Let's stick to the topic in this one.

Why Lisa Raitt? She's not bilingual and has two young children. Does she want it?

I don't think Harper was bilingual either at the start. You can always learn to speak French, it's not even that hard. I don't think being able to speak french now should be a requirement.

I don't think Harper was bilingual either at the start. You can always learn to speak French, it's not even that hard. I don't think being able to speak french now should be a requirement.

It IS that hard, especially since Francophones have a demonstrated history of being much more intolerant to fractured French than Anglos are to fractured English.

Lord's name has been floated in the past. The chief problem with Lord is that the Reform wing may not want an Atlantic Red Tory running the party.

That's the real problem right now. Harper used his iron grip to keep the two halves of the CPC together. Without him, picking a leader becomes very difficult. It's one of the reasons I think Kenney doesn't have a shot, and also why I think no Red Tory has a shot.

Harper had two young children. Trudeau has three young children. A number of other Prime Ministers had young children. As well she speaks French, just not fluently.

It didn't hurt Chretien.

He spoke neither official language and served for ten years!

It IS that hard, especially since Francophones have a demonstrated history of being much more intolerant to fractured French than Anglos are to fractured English.

There was talk about how Trudeau's French was not very strong and that he struggled in the French debates because of it. He won 40 seats in the province, including in francophone areas.

Edited by Newfoundlander