Things to look forward to as a result of the election

Except the Green party has seen declines in two consecutive elections now. In 2008 they had 6.78% of the vote, a respectable showing. In 2011 they dropped by nearly half to 3.91%, and in this election down half a point to 3.45%. About the best you can say about this election is that they didn't get as badly mauled as they did in 2011, but overall this is trend leading to nowhere. So you can blame strategic voting if you like, but the fact is that despite two elections where May has been given an enormous amount of media attention, all she's doing is soft landing the Greens into oblivion.

I'll be blunt. The Greens are a phenomena of south and central Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. They aren't a factor of note anywhere else, and at best, under some other electoral system, they might expect a handful of additional seats. They are a minor party that has received a lot of attention and very little to show for it.

Maybe a different electoral system will give them an edge, but I see little evidence that they are a national force of note. Heck, they're not even really a force of note in BC, beyond that southern coastal region.

The premise of your argument is that people will vote exactly the same way under PR as they do under FPTP. Voting systems matter. Strategic voting happens in every FPTP election and there was a huge push during this one.

And "force of note" is a relative term. They have polled close to 10% during this election and that could give them in the range of 30 MP's.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The premise of your argument is that people will vote exactly the same way under PR as they do under FPTP. Voting systems matter. Strategic voting happens in every FPTP election and there was a huge push during this one.

I agree that it is hard to predict. If we move to another electoral system, then we'll talk about whether the Greens become a significant Federal party. Until then, they're not.

And "force of note" is a relative term. They have polled close to 10% during this election and that could give them in the range of 30 MP's.

As I said above, they received 3.45% of the popular vote nationally, and I'll wager that a good portion of that was concentrated in their "heartland" on Vancouver Island and the South Coast.

I think that under a STV system, parties would still be important but people would would look closer at individual candidates, rather than just concentrating on parties.

Edited by Wilber

I agree that it is hard to predict. If we move to another electoral system, then we'll talk about whether the Greens become a significant Federal party. Until then, they're not.

As I said above, they received 3.45% of the popular vote nationally, and I'll wager that a good portion of that was concentrated in their "heartland" on Vancouver Island and the South Coast.

Fair enough.

My point is that the assumption that the Greens would get no seats under a system with, say a 5% threshold, is premised on them getting the same number of votes. Bring on the system and then we'll see.

I think a lot more people would vote Green if they believed it would help them gain seats. I would love to see Green as opposition to either a Liberal or a "progressive" Conservative government. Unfortunately, following my preferences meant that I might have had to live under the "Harper" Government for another four years - how many others felt the same?

I think a lot more people would vote Green if they believed it would help them gain seats. I would love to see Green as opposition to either a Liberal or a "progressive" Conservative government. Unfortunately, following my preferences meant that I might have had to live under the "Harper" Government for another four years - how many others felt the same?

I did. Both me and my girlfriend originally intended to vote Green but changed our vote because we knew they stood no chance in the prairies. I know a great handful of people that I've had these discussions with over some drinks who also felt the Greens were more aligned with their views but decided to vote strategically as they thought it gave them a better chance to be rid of Harper.

Edited by PrimeNumber

I did. Both me and my girlfriend originally intended to vote Green but changed our vote because we knew they stood no chance in the prairies. I know a great handful of people that I've had these discussions with over some drinks who also felt the Greens were more aligned with their views but decided to vote strategically as they thought it gave them a better chance to be rid of Harper.

There is still a lot of support on the Island for them as well, but people voted NDP to get rid of Harper. They definitely have room to grow, but it is still speculation as to whether they would get more votes... but maybe it's a good bet that they would. I think they would...

If I were voting on the basis of the leader and platform, I would have voted Green. Their candidate in my riding was a nobody and the NDP incumbent was a great MP so I voted on that basis.

I hope during Justin 4 years he does some changes to Parliament like when asked a question answer it and not go on and on about something else, especially since Poilievre made through the red wave.

No one has ever and we're those questions. I don't much expect that to change.

I hope during Justin 4 years he does some changes to Parliament like when asked a question answer it and not go on and on about something else, especially since Poilievre made through the red wave.

I've heard, though I can't positively confirm, that the Liberals may adopt some form of the UK's PMQs (Prime Ministers Questions), where members ask the PM questions. I don't know whether this will compliment Question Period or replace it.

One thing I'd like to remind everyone is that QP is a bit of political theater. While the Tories certainly took it to new lows, its purpose has largely been to produce soundbites for the dinner-time news broadcast. It's not really where serious debate happens. I'm afraid you'll have to watch CPAC for that.

If he is like his father, expect him to often be sarcastic and dismissive. Let's hope he isn't.

I remember PET from my younger days, and Justin Trudeau really does seem like a very different kind of man.

My father gives away money like crazy at work because he feels sorry for people. Now that I'm in charge, things are very different. I love my father, and he's a great man. I'm not him though.

My father gives away money like crazy at work because he feels sorry for people. Now that I'm in charge, things are very different. I love my father, and he's a great man. I'm not him though.

I am getting annoyed with all these WWPD (What Would PET DO) narratives.

PET is dead and Justin is his own man so lets judge him on his own merits.

To some extent I think that is why he won last night - most people finally came to that logical conclusion.

There is still a lot of support on the Island for them as well, but people voted NDP to get rid of Harper. They definitely have room to grow, but it is still speculation as to whether they would get more votes... but maybe it's a good bet that they would. I think they would...

I have no doubt they would. It's who I wanted to vote for, like some here and many where I live. Except people voted for what they didn't want instead of what they did.

Maybe the institution of PR should be approached riding by riding or region by region instead of all of once everywhere. Why shouldn't each region have the opportunity to elect it's representative as it sees fit? If ridings in Nova Scotia chose FPTP as their means of electing their representatives who am I to argue? If we chose to go with STV who are they to say no? Why would it matter to anyone? The only reason it should be any skin of anyone's nose is if someone outside your region said no.

I have no doubt they would. It's who I wanted to vote for, like some here and many where I live. Except people voted for what they didn't want instead of what they did.

Maybe the institution of PR should be approached riding by riding or region by region instead of all of once everywhere. Why shouldn't each region have the opportunity to elect it's representative as it sees fit? If ridings in Nova Scotia chose FPTP as their means of electing their representatives who am I to argue? If we chose to go with STV who are they to say no? Why would it matter to anyone? The only reason it should be any skin of anyone's nose is if someone outside your region said no.

It means inequality of the vote, and would challenge the equality of MPs.

Whatever electoral system we end up with must be universal to all regions.