Things to look forward to as a result of the election

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. A climate change policy

Billions wasted on futile exercises that increase costs and do nothing about the alleged problem. This is something to dread.

2. Legalized pot

Sure. Why not.

3. Electoral reform

It is interesting that Trudeau does not want to put his reform choice to a referendum because he is afraid it will get voted down. The irony is breathtaking.

5. An end to CRA targeting of charities

So you are saying charities will now be free to break the CRA rules?

6. Scientists who can speak up

Whoopie. A bunch of scientists competing with each other to come up with the scariest story to ensure future funding for their field. Hardly a benefit. Edited by TimG

Are you going to be here 50 years from now still saying the same thing?

No, I will be dead. But I am confident that Canada will be defining things the same way.

Congratulations on your new "Bush Jr."....privileged son of Prime Minister PET.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

7. Nice hair.

All the parties have 'a climate change policy', they are just different. And Trudeau's is, talk with provinces and then figure it out? So he doesn't have anything concretely defined.

3. Electoral reform

Trudeau's just given this lip service. And even if he does electoral reform, he might just try to get STV, which will result in the other parties having even less representation in parliament.

I'm sorry to see some of the NDP MPs not coming back, like some of them from Nova Scotia, the MP for the environment and the one for the Vets. In Ontario, there's no Liberal rep. from London On to the Windsor border and Alberta and Saskatchewan. Now, the question is will Harper be called to the Duffy or Carson trials?

Trudeau's just given this lip service. And even if he does electoral reform, he might just try to get STV, which will result in the other parties having even less representation in parliament.

You're thinking of AV. STV is about the best thing we could have.

You're thinking of AV.

You are correct. Thank you for correcting me.

I don't really see how STV is the best system. The size and distribution of STV can be changed based on the whims of politicians. This can cause parties like the green party to still not get proportional representation, is open to gerrymandering, etc.

I don't really see how STV is the best system. The size and distribution of STV can be changed based on the whims of politicians. This can cause parties like the green party to still not get proportional representation, is open to gerrymandering, etc.

We don't do that now with our riding creation. We have an independent commission in each province. That isn't going to change.

I expect to find out how closely they follow their platform. I expect to find out how much worse things are in terms of the economy than the Conservatives claimed. I expect some scandals and controversies and another leader referendum in four years.

I hope the Trudeau that campaigned is the Trudeau that we get, that we have more open government, more communication between provincial and federal and that there is more consensus and less dictatorship.

Probably marginal changes mainly for public psychological consumption, which will not actually do anything

2. Legalized pot

Yes go ahead. A non-issue.

3. Electoral reform

Who knows what this means. I don't even think Justin does.

4. No more talk of niqabs or barbaric practices hotlines

Whether something like that is needed or not depends on the kinds of immigrants we take.

5. An end to CRA targeting of charities

It's good the CRA to be able to investigate fraud.

6. Scientists who can speak up

Correct they should be able to.

Edited by hitops

Trudeau has pledged to roll back changes to CPP to make the eligible pension age 65. That means he either increases payroll taxes, which harms jobs, or the countdown starts to when the CPP runs out of money. He's also pledged to increase the GIS by 10%. This is an unfunded program whose costs will only increase as the population ages. He's pledged further improvements to CPP which may or may not require mandatory extra contributions.

And he's promised to rush right over and scoop up 25,000 refugees from that middle east mess and get them back here for Christmas, no matter what it costs, and no matter how little time that will give us to check them out.

Trudeau has pledged to roll back changes to CPP to make the eligible pension age 65.

A bad idea.

He's also pledged to increase the GIS by 10%.

Another bad idea.

And he's promised to rush right over and scoop up 25,000 refugees from that middle east mess and get them back here for Christmas, no matter what it costs, and no matter how little time that will give us to check them out.

And another even worse one.

Oh and let us not forget his promise to have more females in cabinet. Since women have never run in the same numbers as men there are always a lot more men than women in caucus. Twenty Seven percent of elected Liberals are women, but Justin has promised that half his cabinet will be female. Given the nature of cabinet making there are always some weak links but this one promises to have a lot of people who are simply placeholders due to having ovaries.

Trudeau has pledged to roll back changes to CPP to make the eligible pension age 65. That means he either increases payroll taxes, which harms jobs, or the countdown starts to when the CPP runs out of money. He's also pledged to increase the GIS by 10%. This is an unfunded program whose costs will only increase as the population ages. He's pledged further improvements to CPP which may or may not require mandatory extra contributions.

You are confusing OAS with CPP.

Perhaps when you stop confusing the two we can have a discussion about this but if you can't be bothered to get your facts straight then, meh, whatever.