Name the next CPC and NDP leaders

hitops

I didn't notice them saying anything yet, but the closest thing to policy in Clement's announcement was his promise to defund the state broadcaster, so you can be sure that battle lines are being drawn in the CBC newsroom and boardroom.

Clement is one of the few politicians who makes Harper seem both charismatic and photogenic by comparison.

Clement wouldn't even be able to hold onto his spot in the legislature were it not for the steady supply of pork he sends into that district. I hope these old Harper ministers eat other in the leadership campaign, paving the way for a relative outsider with actual ideas (Bernier). I don't really know what Michael Chong is about, but I am also keeping an eye on him. Clement and MacKay can piss off.

What made Trudeau good? Does speaking well make someone a good candidate?

And yes Garneau does have a strong resume.

He's charismatic, able to identify with normal people, and is able to energize young voters. He was, despite my initial feelings on him, the best possible outcome.

Obama was a well-educated expert on constitutional law. Justin taught a bit of highschool drama when he wasn't too busy snowboarding or working bar security. Hurr.

Leaders don't have to be experts - they simply have to have good advisors and know how to lead.

Leaders don't have to be experts - they simply have to have good advisors and know how to lead.

It doesn't hurt to have leaders who understand the institutions they are leading. Justin Trudeau has no business being Prime Minister of this country. When the election results came in last year I had some hope because I thought he would surround himself with people who actually knew what they were doing, instead we get Gerald Butts and a bunch of token cabinet ministers who fit into the politically correct checklist.

Bernier for PM.

Justin Trudeau has no business being Prime Minister of this country.

Perhaps we only took 1000 steps forward when we should have taken 2000, but what choice did we have?

Bernier? What qualifications does he have, other than leaking more state secrets than Clinton?

It looks more and more as if JT is going to be around for two terms (just ask Jason Kenney) so the next leader will lead the opposition for a while. There are much stronger candidates than Clement to fill that role.

If everything goes halfway right for him, he'll probably be in office for as long as his father.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of Michelle Rempel. She has the attitude and seems pretty forthright and honest. Yes, she's only 36, but will be 40 next election, and since no one expects the Tories to win it she will have additional years as leader of the opposition to hone her parliamentary and organizational skills - which are already pretty good.

Michelle Rempel is considered by some to be too young to enter the race. For some reason though Andrew Scheer - who is 9 months older - is a possible leading candidate. Unlike Rempel, he has no cabinet experience and seeing he's been an MP since he was like 25 he doesn't have much experience outside of politics.

I think Rempel is an impressive politician who could add some excitement to the race. She'll also be the same age that Joe Clark was when he won the leadership of the PC Party.

I've seen Rempel spouting talking points on P&P, and I get the impression that she has only been politically successful because she is a relatively young and attractive woman in a party that tends to be associated with angry old men. She is all style and no substance, but unlike Trudeau she doesn't have the benefit of a famous name. And this Scheer guy seems like a simpleton, he has no chance either.

Also, is it too much to ask for a PM with a bit of private sector experience. I am sick of these career politicians who went straight into the legislature after finishing university. Bernier has solid experience in business and law, that is the kind of person I want in charge.

National Post is running this headine: "Federal Conservatives lament ‘D list’ candidates in leadership race"

From the article: Suddenly, though, the calibre of candidates has diminished: the Draft Rona movement fell flat at the party’s convention, Kenney has jumped to Alberta provincial politics, and close friends of MacKay say he’s “reluctant” to jump into the race because of his young family. Instead, backbenchers, defeated Conservative MPs and other relatively unknown candidates are joining the race or considering doing so.[...] It’s not even the C list that’s running. It’s the D list, lamented one Conservative MP who asked not to be identified.

This is the funniest thing I read all morning. I would love to buy a drink for the darling who said that. They made my day.