Name the next CPC and NDP leaders

hitops

Who cares about the NDP. Olivia Chow? She's still looking for work.

I predict Lisa Raitt will have an excellent shot at leadership. She was re-elected in a sea of red last night. Perhaps Jim Flaherty's wife Christine Eliott may try for a shot after failing to win the Ontario PC leadership. John Baird is probably another possibility.

I predict Lisa Raitt will have an excellent shot at leadership. She was re-elected in a sea of red last night. Perhaps Jim Flaherty's wife Christine Eliott may try for a shot after failing to win the Ontario PC leadership. John Baird is probably another possibility.

A woman leader would be a refreshing change.Not to mention we could have dueling hairdos.

I'm hopeful that the CPC can be completely renovated and return strong and viable. Though I'm doubtful that it will happen, I would like to see some grassroots, riding-led democracy, that was favoured by the Reformers, return. The top-down, autocratic control of Harper needs to die along with his political career, but a new leader will be reluctant to give up that kind of dictatorial control. In that light, I would love to see the party run by a pragmatic, intelligent, diplomatic conservative like Michael Chong. He was embarrassed and mistreated by Harper, it would great to see him restore democracy and respectability within the party. However, I suspect we will see someone like Kenney who is almost the opposite of Chong.

I don't see why you would count Mulcair out. He was leading in the polls for a good while during the election, and the NDP hasn't historically booted leaders just because they lost an election.

The NDP has also historically not won elections.

I'm hopeful that the CPC can be completely renovated and return strong and viable. Though I'm doubtful that it will happen, I would like to see some grassroots, riding-led democracy, that was favoured by the Reformers, return. The top-down, autocratic control of Harper needs to die along with his political career, but a new leader will be reluctant to give up that kind of dictatorial control. In that light, I would love to see the party run by a pragmatic, intelligent, diplomatic conservative like Michael Chong. He was embarrassed and mistreated by Harper, it would great to see him restore democracy and respectability within the party. However, I suspect we will see someone like Kenney who is almost the opposite of Chong.

Agree! I would love Chong. Also agree never going to happen.

Edited by hitops

I don't see why you would count Mulcair out. He was leading in the polls for a good while during the election, and the NDP hasn't historically booted leaders just because they lost an election.

Also, Mulcair took the fight to Trudeau, which is what lost him the election. Now Prime Minister Trudeau, perhaps people will look at him taking the fight to Trudeau a bit differently in that context.

Also, Mulcair took the fight to Trudeau, which is what lost him the election. Now Prime Minister Trudeau, perhaps people will look at him taking the fight to Trudeau a bit differently in that context.

Though, effective at delivering scathing diatribes, Tom just isn't charismatic. I really like Tom, but I am also over 30. It is reasonable to expect that the increase in voter turnout was more pronounced in the younger demographics. I suspect younger voters and those wanting to 'Heave Steve' identified more with the positive and charismatic leader than the angry one.

Positive change invariably plays out more slowly than voters would like. So maybe you're right, and in 2019 people will appreciate angry verbal assaults directed at PM Trudeau.

It's not just about policy. Justin's got the perfect family photos. Kenney doesn't. Raitt and Wall don't speak French AFAIK. Leitch sounds weird. Women have a harder time as leaders.

Just to argue with myself here, I think Raitt sounds reasonable if she could be taught a bit of franglais. Kenney is excellent, too. I'm surprised Moore bowed out because, like O'Toole, he's one of the least annoying Conservatives going and has wider appeal. Another possibility would be Rempel who is an excellent debater.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

I suspect younger voters and those wanting to 'Heave Steve' identified more with the positive and charismatic leader than the angry one.

Younger voters are more likely to vote NDP relative to liberal compared to the population at large. The 3 roommates in their 20's that I live with all voted NDP (to be fair my grandparents also voted NDP). I don't think your argument holds.

Women have a harder time as leaders.

Maybe 20+ years ago. Today it's a positive that increases your chances of being elected in most developed countries.

Younger voters are more likely to vote NDP relative to liberal compared to the population at large. The 3 roommates in their 20's that I live with all voted NDP (to be fair my grandparents also voted NDP). I don't think your argument holds.

Maybe 20+ years ago. Today it's a positive that increases your chances of being elected in most developed countries.

So where are the female PMs in the last twenty years in Canada?

It's not just about policy. Justin's got the perfect family photos. Kenney doesn't. Raitt and Wall don't speak French AFAIK. Leitch sounds weird. Women have a harder time as leaders.

Just to argue with myself here, I think Raitt sounds reasonable if she could be taught a bit of franglais. Kenney is excellent, too. I'm surprised Moore bowed out because, like O'Toole, he's one of the least annoying Conservatives going and has wider appeal. Another possibility would be Rempel who is an excellent debater.

Kenney may have the edge, if he can shed some of his social conservative baggage. He was one of the Tories' most effective cabinet ministers (though his stint as Minister of Defense was somewhat underwhelming).

Wall's chief problem, beyond his being unilingual, is that there no tradition of Premiers becoming PMs. So far as I'm aware, the only Provincial Premier even to become a leader of major Federal party was Tommy Douglas.