No I don't.

Do you have any examples of democratic populations electing to get rid of their constitutions?

I guess it depends what you mean by "electing".

The US did when it dumped the Articles of Confederation in favor of the Constitution in 1789, but this was an agreement between the States to create a better constitution, and was not put to any kind of popular vote (though so far as I am aware so inadequate were the Articles that there weren't a lot of tears shed). If that counts, then the English Parliament's passage of the Bill of Rights, 1689, while maintaining the structure of the older English constitution, still represented a very populist alteration that created an entrenched Constitutional Monarchy with Parliamentary supremacy.

The French have gone through a few constitutions since the Revolution where the National Assembly picked a new constitution, but the constitutions of the Fourth and Fifth Republics were put to referendums. Swiss constitutions are passed, like so many major initiatives, by referendum.

I think the point is that the politically correct are saying that banning the niqab is an attack on Muslims, which makes little sense given that some Muslim countries ban it.

You had best inform PIK of that, because it's pretty obvious that for him the niquab debate is a thinly veiled reference to Muslims in general. Judging by a lot of the comments out there, there are a goodly number of people who seem to spell Muslim N-I-Q-A-B.

No they are saying it's an attack on the individuals who want to wear it.......you hope it's an attack on "the Irish".....err I mean muslims.

I think you're trying to make a record, right, the longest time on MLW without a single post that contributes anything to any topic but snotty one line insults?

I do find it ironic that many of those who argue that it is wrong for Muslims to be able to hide behind their niqab are the same folks who hide behind their chosen anonymity.

Thank you Big Guy.

Wow your last paragraph is right on. So nicely said.

No it's not. It's silly. Am I supposed to suddenly agree that the Niqab is actually quite nice and pleasant instead of a nasty piece of cultural oppression just because no-one knows my real name? What bollocks.

[quote name="Big Guy" post="1103597" timestamp="

I do find it ironic that many of those who argue that it is wrong for Muslims to be able to hide behind their niqab are the same folks who hide behind their chosen anonymity.

Everyone on this forum hides behind their anonymity. Why are you singling out folks who disagree with you? Even you hide behind your anonymity.

So I will have to disagree with you ;)

It's an attack on what Canada represents to women.

I think what Canada represents is, and should be, freedom, within the law, and regardless of gender. If a woman chooses to wear a symbol of her religion, she should be allowed. If her freedom is being taken away by someone else, perhaps her spouse, forcing her to wear that same symbol, she has a case under Canadian law to protest that. Creating a law that can't differentiate between those two scenarios troublesome at best, and afoul of our charter rights at worst.

If a woman chooses to wear a symbol of her religion, she should be allowed.

So here's the thing. It's not a symbol of religion. If it were I'd be on board. It's a symbol of repression of women. The women who voluntarily choose to wear this garment are very conservative and are against many women's rights for equality. Canada does not want to take a step backwards for women's rights.

So here's the thing. It's not a symbol of religion. If it were I'd be on board. It's a symbol of repression of women.

Not according to the women that I've heard explain why they wear it.

The women who voluntarily choose to wear this garment are very conservative and are against many women's rights for equality.

That's an outrageous assumption. Of course you have some actual information to back it up.

You keep saying that, but you don't get to decide that for someone else. The courts recognize it as a religious observance and the woman who wanted to wear it argued that it was a symbol of her faith.

You keep saying it's about the courts decision. I get that and I've moved on from that. Im speaking from the pov of moving away from Canadian women's rights and moving backwards.

So here's the thing. It's not a symbol of religion. If it were I'd be on board. It's a symbol of repression of women. The women who voluntarily choose to wear this garment are very conservative and are against many women's rights for equality. Canada does not want to take a step backwards for women's rights.

Well according to the woman at the center of this whole issue, in her own words, she referred to the niqab as a symbol of religion she adopted, and I know the argument about it not being mentioned in the Quran in a discernible way at least to us, she should have the right to choose. Having had the educational experience of travelling to possibly a lot more Muslim countries than many of the people who proffer opinions on the issue, I would conclude the veil goes against my grain, but not quite as much as a government minister attempting to rule on the contents of our charter rights.

Also, here's a feminist article from a Muslim Arab-American woman that I highly recommend reading, as it highlights the problem with your Western feminist arguments. http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/feminism-fails-muslim-women/

Not according to the women that I've heard explain why they wear it.

That's an outrageous assumption. Of course you have some actual information to back it up.

It's not outrageous and I will provide a link to a study recently done with 100 niqab wearing women in Canada and what their thoughts are on women's rights in Canada. I can't post it on my iPhone.

Also, here's a feminist article from a Muslim Arab-American woman that I highly recommend reading, as it highlights the problem with your Western feminist arguments. http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/feminism-fails-muslim-women/

Honestly, I can provide many reports/analysis refuting this. Do you think I have no understanding of this issue?

Well according to the woman at the center of this whole issue, in her own words, she referred to the niqab as a symbol of religion she adopted, and I know the argument about it not being mentioned in the Quran in a discernible way at least to us, she should have the right to choose. Having had the educational experience of travelling to possibly a lot more Muslim countries than many of the people who proffer opinions on the issue, I would conclude the veil goes against my grain, but not quite as much as a government minister attempting to rule on the contents of our charter rights.

Yes and those women also choose to not side with Canadian women's rights.