Big Brother Stephen Harper Has Gone Too Damn Far With Snitch Program

Maybe

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this! Straight from George Orwell's 1984 if you ask me... A new police hotline where we report our neighbors for "suspicious activities". I don't know about the rest of you, but I have known my neighbors for almost 6 years! "REPORT YOUR NEIGHBOR PROJECT"

http://www.salon.com/2015/10/06/white_people_dont_have_to_worry_about_canadas_new_report_your_neighbor_hotline/

The other user who said Harper is the long lost illegitimate son of George H. Bush may be right!

Children's helpline going too far?

Battered women's hotline going too far?

So, saving women from FMG, forced marriage, underage marriage isn't worth reporting?

The Shafia women went to the police multiple times, and they did nothing. Didn't want to offend Mohammod.

So, I think this hotline is a good idea.

There are already dedicated lines for domestic abuse, some of which rely on private donations. Another line is redundant. If Conservatives were really interested in helping women, they would refund women's groups and add funding to the existing services. A "report your neighbour" line is redundant. Its just a ploy to pick up clueless voters.

Try to avoid the urge to claim that opposing this scheme means condoning FGM or child marriage. Such statements just make you and conservatives in general look even more ridiculous.

In Germany in from 1933 to 1945, there was an organization for youth very similar to the Boy Scouts. The mandate for these young patriots was to report any anti national talk or action. The really ambitious ones spied on their parents and were rewarded if/when they reported any "inconsistences".

Not sure if they had a number to call or not.

@ Diallamah.

There is an obvious need for this. The Shafia women called 911 repeatedly, with no help coming. How ridiculous did they look drowned in their car by their father, brother and mother.

Why no help? Because authorities did not want to offend Mr. Shafia, and really, didn't know how to help these ladies due to cultural differences.

So, I'll risk looking ridiculous and supporting this if it means infanticide is reduced at all.

Thanks for clearly showing your ignorance to this topic.

I agree. With should have a hot line for people who think that they know somebody who is going to kill their child:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/infanticide-law-upheld-by-ontario-s-top-court-1.1108970

But I would suggest that it may take some time to figure out the motive. By that time the potential victim may already be a victim. Perhaps it is a better idea to phone 911 with your suspicions that something is wrong and let the professions deal with it.

@ Diallamah.

There is an obvious need for this. The Shafia women called 911 repeatedly, with no help coming. How ridiculous did they look drowned in their car by their father, brother and mother.

Why no help? Because authorities did not want to offend Mr. Shafia, and really, didn't know how to help these ladies due to cultural differences.

So, I'll risk looking ridiculous and supporting this if it means infanticide is reduced at all.

At first, I didn't know what you were talking about, so I looked it up. I found a story about it - 911 was called - several weeks before the killings. The authorities did respond. Unfortunately, they did not respond in a way that was effective.

And this happens FAR TOO OFTEN in Canada, irrespective of ethnicity - (except if one is Native, in which case nobody cares really). In the last few months, in BC, there have been three cases featured in which kids died as a direct result of the failure of social services. These kids were already in care - it wasn't even a matter of lacking a hot-line to call. The system simply failed.

If Conservatives/Harper are so concerned about women/children's safety, they could spend a lot more money on services to help them through organizations, private and public, that are already available.

And how many native women have been killed on the downtown East side of Vanoouver in the past five years? Where is their "hotline"? How many women each year, in Canada, are killed by their spouse? How many women/children seek temporary shelter to avoid getting beaten at home by their husband/father? Where is Harper's White Knight stand for those women?

@ Dimelmah

You have already answered your own question. There is already a dedicated woman's abuse hotline.

There are dedicated Aboriginal helplines. And lets not forget the billions upon billions of dollars given to First Nation causes,.

The hypocrisy being displayed here is palpable.

Aboriginal hotline seems to be ok., in fact if there wasn't one you would be up in arms.

Clear case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

In Germany in from 1933 to 1945, there was an organization for youth very similar to the Boy Scouts. The mandate for these young patriots was to report any anti national talk or action. The really ambitious ones spied on their parents and were rewarded if/when they reported any "inconsistences".

Not sure if they had a number to call or not.

Is there any kind of program, policy or statement you can't climb up onto a pedestal, hitch your panties up tight, and start lecturing people on Nazi Germany over?

Sounds like the left on here is opposed to helping women.

Absolutely, yup. Objecting to a "snitch on your neighbour to report barbaric cultural practices" because it's both redundant and targets a specific minority group based on certain assumed characteristics means we don't want to help women. :rolleyes:

Edited by dialamah

Perhaps the solution is to update our emergency 911 number:

You dial 911 and get the follwoing:

Thank you for dialing 911, If your emergency is gun related between individuals please press 1.

If the emergency is violence against women than press 2.

If the emergency is violence against men then prerss 3.

If the emergency is violence againmst children then press 4.

If this is a barbaric act by Canadians then press 5.

If this is a barbaric act by visible minorities then press 6.

If this is a fire then press 7.

If this is a potential suicide then press 8.

If this is a mass shooting in a school then press 9.

If this is a mass shooting other than a school then press 10.

If this a problem relating to immigration then please contact the Conservative election campaign.

If this is visible minorities in trouble then please stay on the line and someone will eventually pick up.

Thank you for your message - bbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Our city is now connecting surveillance cameras to our local police station. Law enforcement may now tune into who enters and leaves our building. When we leave, what time we leave, who we leave with...all this is recorded 24-7, 365 days a year. Will my religious neighbor soon be calling a hotline to complain that I don't believe in Jesus?

Our city is now connecting surveillance cameras to our local police station. Law enforcement may now tune into who enters and leaves our building. When we leave, what time we leave, who we leave with...all this is recorded 24-7, 365 days a year. Will my religious neighbor soon be calling a hotline to complain that I don't believe in Jesus?

Wear a niqab to work and they won't be able to tell who you are.

This is just cultural ignorance.

There is nothing at all barbaric about having multiple wives or multiple husbands, if it is a consensual relationship.

Anti-polygamy law is horrific and culturally abusive.

We should be open and accepting of other consensual practices.

The fact they are lumping in things like polygamy with thinks like rape is just nonsense they aren't the same.

I think if anything it shows the gross ignorance and misdirection of these measures.

Inviting police abuse is problematic if it comes with the bi-line - barbaric cultural practices - as opposed to "criminal acts"

The way this initiative is presented just shows ignorance, hate and xenophobia - which is likely the real intent as a form of marketing.

Women or men in polygamist relationships are not per se victims especially if they are engaged in consensual relationships.

It is horrible that you have people like Stephen Harper pushing their values on what ideal consensual relationships are. If people can screw around with multiple men and women these days even while married, what is the issue with people being in committed relationships with multiple people.

It is just gross ignorance showing that that government is not about letting people make informed consensual decisions and is instead about their agenda even if it violates peoples freedoms.

That is horrible and I reject it.

If you want people to report crimes then leave it at this, the premise is turning it into "cultural war" and HATE fueled xenophobia. This boils down to more islamophobia and it is disgusting we have a supposed leader of a nation that aims to shut down all practices that do not represent their values. Canadians are accepting of other people and different practices, Stephen Harper is a racist jerk, and does not share Canadian values of openness trust and supporting those who are in need.

WE should be able to have fundamentals based on morals such as consensual as opposed to non-consensual relationships - BDSM should be legal if it is consensual, polygamy should be legal if it is consensual. People should be able to wear anything they bloody want - we shouldn't have fashion police.

Get these a$$holes out of office they are just ignorant jerks who want to control people.

Get this looser the hell away from any legislator because he is an ignorant prude, not representative of Canadian values.

Sure report someone who is forcibly confining someone against their will but don't report your neighbor because they use a face veil.

I can't believe people elected the looser go back to the stone-age.

Deciding what type of social relations you want is one thing but telling people how they can relate with others is going to far. It should only be about consent, not the form of relationship. This recognizing minors cannot form consent.

freedom of conscience and religion; freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication; freedom of peaceful assembly; and. freedom of association.

RESPECT OUR RIGHTS

I cannot believe people support this person who does not cease in attacking the charter. SHAME!

Edited by nerve

It's slimy politics, which is working. There is a reason why the Australian Karl Rove, the infamous spin doctor, was hired by Harper. Because he has been successful in using race in taking attention away from the shortcomings of the party he is helping, who are typically right-wing, so-called nationalists.

http://www.reportyourneighbour.ca/

Edited by Michael Hardner
image removed