Why are Globe & Mail & Toronto Star both against Stephen Harpe

Both The Star and The Globe tend to be left leaning papers...Nothing new there.

Although I feel like the Globe is getting more centrist over time.

Also, this election is killing me with the damned "You have already read your X amount of articles this month" I might have to break down and pay...for stuff on the internet!!

He could be a little more willing to interact freely with media, that would probably help.

That link you provided, I quit reading it when it implied that the Conservatives created a huge debt from 1984 to 1993. Technically accurate, it is nonetheless not true. Trudeau created the larger portion of that debt, Mulroney then built it up. I really dislike that kind of semi-true stuff, so had to disregard the rest of it.

This started when harper 1st won. They were so shocked that their precious liberals were beat. They still have not got over that. To bad they have to insult so many Canadians with their hate.

I have never seen one politician piss off so many people and Canada's two largest newspapers.

Does Harper have a way to mend fences quickly enough before October 19th? What should he do or say? http://www.whynotharper.ca/#1

Do you have a link that would suggest that either is "against Stephen Harper"? Certainly, the Star is left leaning but that's hardly the same thing. You can't say the same about the Globe.

In fact, the G&M endorsed Harper in every election since 2006. The claim that it is "left leaning" is patent nonsense.

Globe and Mail election endorsements throughout history. Since WW2, they have supported the CPC or PCs 16 times and the Liberals six times; three of these were in the Chretien/Martin years when i) there was a 'split on the right' ii) the Liberals had fully embraced right-wing economic policy.

Edited by Evening Star

This started when harper 1st won. They were so shocked that their precious liberals were beat. They still have not got over that. To bad they have to insult so many Canadians with their hate.

Right, it was quite a shock which they have never gotten over.

It seems that they have been brainwashed to think that everything left wing is good and everything right wing is bad. They live in a fantasy world where government spending is called "investments" and tax cuts are called spending. Promised Liberal deficits are now seen as building the country while spending cuts are robbing the future. It's a topsy-turvy world that they live in. Unable to accept a Conservative win they scream out their hatred for anyone who questions their beliefs.

The term Harper derangement syndrome often fits because there is no rationale for it. Harper and the Conservatives challenge their belief system and they have no way of responding except with hatred.

It seems that they have been brainwashed to think that everything left wing is good and everything right wing is bad. They live in a fantasy world where government spending is called "investments" and tax cuts are called spending. Promised Liberal deficits are now seen as building the country while spending cuts are robbing the future. It's a topsy-turvy world that they live in. Unable to accept a Conservative win they scream out their hatred for anyone who questions their beliefs.

Because a lot of Conservatives aren't brainwashed into thinking that every left wing policy is bad, right?

Pot... kettle... black...

The term Harper derangement syndrome often fits because there is no rationale for it. Harper and the Conservatives challenge their belief system and they have no way of responding except with hatred.

Is Harper Derangement Syndrome a similar disorder to Trudeau Derangement Syndrome?

Right, it was quite a shock which they have never gotten over.

That's really hard to believe since generally speaking, I'm much more apolitical than political. Until recently, I couldn't have said for certain what the different party ideologies were supposed to be - although apparently they've drifted somewhat from traditional. I've voted Conservative in the past, including for Harper, because at the time he seemed the best option. I've also voted Green, and probably Liberal though I don't specifically remember -- and sometimes I haven't voted at all. Still, Harper's shenanigans over the last few years penetrated enough of my political apathy that - for the first time in my life, I'm paying a lot more attention.

And what, might you ask,first caught my attention? It was his refusal to fund abortions for clinics in developing countries. And then the other stories, especially the ones about muzzling of scientists. To see Canada taken to task by Amnesty International for using financial defunding and other intimidation tactics to eliminate criticism of his policies was shocking and embarrassing. That happens in corrupt regimes, not in Canada. To hear firsthand how he manipulated scientists to 'reward' some conservative hack whilst denying the scientists who actually did the work any recognition was infuriating.

If the Conservative belief system is that it's ok to target a minority group for bigotry and xenophobia to score political points, I want none of that. I don't want my elected leader offering policy that emboldens people to attack women because they are wearing niqabs. I don't want a government that sets up a tipline so obviously designed to again target a particular minority. The bigotry inherent in such policy is appalling, and it has nothing to do with the Canadian values I was taught as a child, as a fourth generation Canadian of European descent. I don't want a leader who is 'muzzling' groups and people who criticize his policies. I don't want a leader who "supports" the right to choose at home, but denies it elsewhere.

Harper's view of democracy and of Canada is not one I share. You can characterize that as some kind of hysteria, assume it's HDS, you can dismiss what thousands of Canadians are saying and you can decide that 'fiscal conservatism' trumps every single other value, Canadian or Christian - but I think its the Conservative base who is blinded and in denial.

It's shameful, the politics Harper has indulged in. It's even more shameful that a single Canadian would support him.

Because a lot of Conservatives aren't brainwashed into thinking that every left wing policy is bad, right?

Pot... kettle... black...

Is Harper Derangement Syndrome a similar disorder to Trudeau Derangement Syndrome?

Really? How many conservatives here or elsewhere are anti gay, anti abortion, against women working outside the home, etc, so on and so forth? The fact is this, our society, all of it, has become in general, far more liberal, even those that consider themselves conservative are far more liberal in general, it is they who have compromised and changed their beleifs more than anyone, and rightfully so. However, the left, or the progressives never seem to think that compromise is enough, on any subject, it is a strange beleif system and ideology the lends one to beleive that it is the one and truly only answer on any subject. It is for example some kind of mortal sin to suggest that people should show some measure of respect to thier adopted country and it's traditions, traditions that no doubt had something to do with it's success, by showing your face when you become a citizen.

Even that is far too much of an affront for the left to bear. I and most who are more conservative here are far from against every left wing polcy, but it is in part the seemingly more common and extreme belief of the left that anything resembling conservatism is somehow evil or scary that I think has lead to this evil harper narrative that was invented before he had a chance to do anything as PM. Nothing approaching the evil agenda has occured, yet just about everything is somehow twisted into fitting that narrative. In some ways I see voting conservative as a way of combatting an opposing view that seems utterly intolerant of anything but its own world view, statements like yours combined with the absolute fact that a typical conservative has become much more liberal in recent decades only serves to reinforce that belief. We here cosntant screaming about how bad things are, and yet almost nothing of consequence has changed, a little perspective would be nice from time to time.

There is nowhere near the vitriol directed at Trudeau as there has been at Harper, to even suggest it is ridiculous, sure, his intelligence or experience is questioned, and so what? He is running for PM, it might matter if he comes across as a bit dull, but no one is suggesting that he will do anything like take away womens rights or abortion rights, or turn the country into a police state. or a dictatorship, as Harper has been accused of. Of course Harper hasn't done anything like those things, the real problem is some of you desperately want to beleive he has, in defiance of anything approaching reality.

The post above directly above mine is a prime example, this exact view point of HArper exsited before the supposed, simply impossible to accept afronts above ever occured, did they actually occur? were they or are they that bad, or have they been simply appended to an irrational beleif that already existed, twisted to fit that narrative. Look at Harper, ATTACKING women, in Canada, on our streets....

Edited by poochy

There is nowhere near the vitriol directed at Trudeau as there has been at Harper, to even suggest it is ridiculous, sure, his intelligence or experience is questioned, and so what? He is running for PM, it might matter if he comes across as a bit dull, but no one is suggesting that he will do anything like take away womens rights or abortion rights, or turn the country into a police state. or a dictatorship, as Harper has been accused of. Of course Harper hasn't done anything like those things, the real problem is some of you desperately want to beleive he has, in defiance of anything approaching reality.

What are you talking about? Within weeks of Trudeau winning the Liberal leadership, the Tories published an ad blatantly asserting Trudeau was effeminate, or as some would likely inferred, gay. That bastion of bad taste Ezra Levant went a lot further and openly claimed Trudeau was a pervert. Web boards everywhere were filled with Tories, more than a few that were obviously paid astroturfers, attacking everything from his intelligence to his mother.

Oh no, there was definitely a Trudeau Derangement Syndrome, until just a few weeks ago when it suddenly dawned on the wizards at Tory HQ that all the Tories had managed to do was set the bar so low that Trudeau couldn't help but look good, not to mention he's proven a far abler and adept a campaigner than anyone could have imagined.

Now we're to the point where the Tories are literally stealing Liberal policy. But make no mistake, even six months ago, you couldn't go on a site like the National Post and not see hundreds of insanely hyperbolic anti-Trudeau posts.

I cannot honestly remember any time in my life (39 years) where both the Star and Globe and Mail were against the incumbent PM. Also, is number three really true? http://www.whynotharper.ca/#1 Did Harper really inherit a surplus or was it just creative accounting? How much is the deficit now?

Has the Globe and Mail endorsed anyone yet?

And yes, Harper did inherit a surplus.

Both The Star and The Globe tend to be left leaning papers...Nothing new there.

Although I feel like the Globe is getting more centrist over time.

Also, this election is killing me with the damned "You have already read your X amount of articles this month" I might have to break down and pay...for stuff on the internet!!

Both the Star and the Globe are based in Toronto.