The Harper Government Record on Women's Issues

The Harper Government and many Conservative supporters claim that the niqab ban and the barbaric cultural practices laws show how serious the Conservatives are about fighting oppression against women.

Here's 11 things (with links to reference materials) that show the Harper Government isn't the least bit serious about stopping the oppression of women. Ending barbaric cultural practices starts by leading as an example. (source)

clearly, that list is a sorry testament to Harper Conservatives actions... against women!

and then there's Harper's desperate election gambit is unbelievably dangerous for women --- Harper has fanned xenophobic fears, putting women at risk in a cynical bid for votes. Just two women out of more than 650,000 have chosen not to proceed to the citizenship ceremony based on the requirement to remove their face coverings. As former Newfoundland and Labrador Conservative Premier Danny Williams pointed out in a scathing rebuke of Harper, "Two women have been in that situation. Why is that a national issue?"

and then there's receiving a formal endorsement from Campaign Life Coalition --- Here are 86 Conservative candidates who will vote against women's reproductive rights. "Over one-quarter of Conservative candidates running in the 2015 election have been endorsed for their opposition to women's reproductive rights by a controversial anti-abortion activist group. Overall, 25.4% of all Conservative candidates are listed by CLC, although it's not a definitive list – not every Conservative candidate responded to questionnaires and some are still listed as "evaluation pending."

Let's take this issue as it relates to the niqab issue... when we let people in who have extremist religious views, their family is forced to stay with them or Canada will kick them out, back to their country of origin (which is probably a religious fundamentalist country too) where they may be in danger for leaving their husband! There's no real choice there.

So the abusive religious zealot gets to stay... and his family is forced to stay with him.

This policy makes the situation worse.

Here's 11 things (with links to reference materials) that show the Harper Government isn't the least bit serious about stopping the oppression of women. Ending barbaric cultural practices starts by leading as an example. (source)

given such a sorry record... must be why Stephen Harper chose to duck the intended "women's issues debate"! Stephen Harper booed in absentia after skipping women's issues interview

a recent United Nations Human Rights committee report was a scathing rebuke to the Harper government on many levels... those particularly focused on Canadian women:

Gender equality
7. The Committee is concerned about the persisting inequalities between women and men. In particular, the Committee is concerned about

{a} the high level of the pay gap, which is more pronounced in some provinces such as Alberta and Nova Scotia, and disproportionately affects low-income women, in particular minority and indigenous women;
{b} the fact that the legislation relating to equal pay differs at the federal, provincial and territorial levels and for the public and private sectors, and does not exist in some provinces;
{c} the under-representation of women in leadership positions in the public and private sectors; and
{d} the failure to enforce or ensure employment equality in the private sector across the country.

It further regrets that the State party has not yet adopted regulations to implement the Public Sector Equitable Compensation Act (art. 3).

The State party should strengthen its efforts to guarantee that men and women receive equal pay for work of equal value across its territory, with a special focus on minority and indigenous women. It should ensure that all provinces and territories adopt a legislative framework on equal pay, covering the public and private sectors, and take measures to implement the recommendations of the Pay Equity Task Force at all levels. The State party should promote better representation of women in leadership positions, both in the private and public sectors, and ensure effective remedies to women who are victims of gender-based discrimination.

Violence against women
8. The Committee is concerned about the continued high prevalence of domestic violence in the State party, in particular violence against women and girls, that mostly affects indigenous and minority women. The Committee is also concerned about reports of

{a} the low number of cases reported to the police by victims;
{b} the insufficiency of shelters, support services and other protective measures for victims that reportedly prevent them from leaving their violent partner; and
{c} a failure to effectively investigate, prosecute, convict and punish perpetrators with appropriate penalties.

The Committee is further concerned about the lack of statistical data on domestic violence, including on investigations, prosecutions, convictions, sanctions and reparation (arts. 3, 6 and 7).

The State party should enhance its efforts to firmly combat domestic violence, including violence against women in all forms, paying particular attention to minority and indigenous women. Specifically, the State party should

{a} take measures to effectively enforce its criminal legislation at the federal, provincial and territorial levels;
{b} provide complaint mechanisms to victims of domestic violence, protect them from any retaliation and provide them with support at the police level;
{c} investigate all reported cases, prosecute and punish those responsible with appropriate penalties;
{d} increase the number of shelters, support services and other protective measures; and
{e} effectively implement policies and programmes adopted at all levels, and ensure an effective application of the Victims Bill of Rights Act.

Murdered and missing indigenous women and girls
9. The Committee is concerned that indigenous women and girls are disproportionately affected by life-threatening forms of violence, homicides and disappearances. Notably, the Committee is concerned about the State party’s reported failure to provide adequate and effective responses to this issue across the territory of the State party.

While noting that the Government of British Columbia has published a report on the Missing Women Commission of Inquiry and adopted legislation related to missing persons, and that the Government of the State party is implementing the Action Plan to Address Family Violence and Violent Crimes Against Aboriginal Women and Girls, the Committee is concerned about the lack of information on measures taken to investigate, prosecute and punish those responsible (arts. 3 and 6).

The State party should, as a matter of priority,

{a} address the issue of murdered and missing indigenous women and girls by conducting a national inquiry, as called for by the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women, in consultation
with indigenous women’s organizations and families of the victims;
{b} review its legislation at the federal, provincial and territorial levels, and coordinate police responses across the country, with a view to preventing the occurrence of such murders and disappearances;
{c} investigate, prosecute and punish the perpetrators and provide reparation to victims; and
{d} address the root causes of violence against indigenous women and girls.

still no bites from Harper proponents... is there a problem?

I could try...

Lies, all lies, put out by Liberal media! The United Nations is irrelevant and what they say doesn't matter. Besides, they're all lefties so what do you expect? And look at what (Liberal leader from past era) did! Compared to that guy Harper is a saint!

How's that? :-)

I could try...

Lies, all lies, put out by Liberal media! The United Nations is irrelevant and what they say doesn't matter. Besides, they're all lefties so what do you expect? And look at what (Liberal leader from past era) did! Compared to that guy Harper is a saint!

How's that? :-)

:lol: Given my recent post highlighting the UN Human Rights committee report's scathing rebuke of the Harper Conservative government, I still hold cautious optimism that MLW Harper proponent 'UN bashers' may yet make an appearance in this thread!

One thing your list missed is Harper's decision to deny funding to clinics that provide abortions in developing countries. And his income splitting program mostly benefits families with a stay at home parent, usually the woman; half his budget for family support directed toward the 30% who have a "traditional" relationship. I think both these policies are directly related to his personal beliefs. Deny women abortion where possible, reward women/families for staying home and raising kids; ignore single parent families, usually headed by women, who arguably need the most support.

Our teacher posted a copy of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms of the Canadian Constitution in the classroom. That was thirty years ago. In my lifetime will I ever see section 15, parts one and two upheld for Canadians?

Also, I don't appreciate a government that pursues control over my physiology and reproductive choices.

as mentioned earlier, Harper refused to attend the planned national leaders televised debate on Women's Issues sponsored by Up For Debate... in response, Mulcair also said he would not attend as, to him, it made no sense to debate without the presence of the sitting Prime Minister; accordingly, the planned debate never occurred.

the organizers of that intended debate ultimately moved to a 'Plan B' alternative - to conduct full 1-on-1 interviews (20-30 minutes in duration) with the respective party leaders. Unfortunately, Stephen Harper also "couldn't find time" to schedule an interview into his campaign! Said Harper Conservative spokesperson, Kory Teneycke, "That’s the result of scheduling priorities. Between debates and interviews, there are hundreds of competing requests that come in over the course of the campaign; it is only possible to grant a small number. We don’t comment further on our decision-making process.

here are those 4 interviews with the respective party leaders willing to be interviewed:

Justin Trudeau
Liberal Party of Canada
default.jpg

Thomas Mulcair

New Democratic Party of Canada
default.jpg

Elizabeth May
Green Party of Canada
default.jpg

Gilles Duceppe
Bloc Québécois
default.jpg

Yeah Trudeau and Mulcair both said publicly they are feminists.

What a load of shit. I support the equal rights of both sexes.

perhaps the phrase "Women's Issues" suggests, to some, a hint of marginalization on its own... and yes, gender equality, health care, zero tolerance for sexual violence, an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women, pay equity, universal day care, etc., — are also issues of concern to men. However, many of these issues impact women, at large, to disproportionate levels, directly or indirectly.

given your somewhat emphatic claim to support equal rights for both men and women, do you feel Stephen Harper/Harper Conservatives have met your measure of... equal support?

perhaps the phrase "Women's Issues" suggests, to some, a hint of marginalization on its own... and yes, gender equality, health care, zero tolerance for sexual violence, an inquiry into missing and murdered indigenous women, pay equity, universal day care, etc., are also issues of concern to men. However, many of these issues impact women, at large, to disproportionate levels, directly or indirectly.

given your somewhat emphatic claim to support equal rights for both men and women, do you feel Stephen Harper/Harper Conservatives have met your measure of... equal support?

Yep.

Yep.

Can you be more specific in how the Conservatives have supported equality between the sexes? I can find scads of articles from a variety of organizations claiming he hasn't, and none claiming he has. But I know media can be deceptive, so please show me Harper's record for the support of gender equality.

And posts like this aren't? :rolleyes:

as MLW member 'dialamah' pointed out, your single word reply lacks specificity. Given your prior somewhat emphatic claim to support equal rights for both women and men, your single word reply "Yep", doesn't particularly reflect well on your ability to articulate just why you believe Stephen Harper/Harper Conservatives have met your measure of... providing equal support for women.

clearly this thread has provided significant information to counter your single word reply "Yep". It's unfortunate you don't feel it necessary to not only attempt to speak to/counter that information... you appear reluctant to even offer detail/specificity on the presumed support for women you indicate Harper provides.

as MLW member 'dialamah' pointed out, your single word reply lacks specificity. Given your prior somewhat emphatic claim to support equal rights for both women and men, your single word reply "Yep", doesn't particularly reflect well on your ability to articulate just why you believe Stephen Harper/Harper Conservatives have met your measure of... providing equal support for women.

clearly this thread has provided significant information to counter your single word reply "Yep". It's unfortunate you don't feel it necessary to not only attempt to speak to/counter that information... you appear reluctant to even offer detail/specificity on the presumed support for women you indicate Harper provides.

Well some of us do work to provide for all the demands from the Lefties. Sometimes when all I want to do is to reply, and get back to what I'm doing, that's what I'll do. But sure, attack the poster, not the substance.

The question was if I felt like it was sufficient, the answer was yes, and is still, yes.

Well some of us do work to provide for all the demands from the Lefties. Sometimes when all I want to do is to reply, and get back to what I'm doing, that's what I'll do. But sure, attack the poster, not the substance.

The question was if I felt like it was sufficient, the answer was yes, and is still, yes.

I think the issue here is the complete lack of substance to a reply that amounts to "Yup!"

Well some of us do work to provide for all the demands from the Lefties.

Thanks for all your hard work on my behalf. However, I've decided that I need a hybrid vehicle, as a result of that other thread over there about carbon taxes and fossil fuels etc, so you'll have to work a little harder please. I'd like to purchase said vehicle over the weekend and I'm a little short. so if you wouldn't mind just doing an e-transfer, I'll PM you my email address.

Thanks, man, I appreciate all the hard work you righties do I can live the good life. And all those 59 Senators Harper appointed thank you as well. :D