Doctors Without Borders (MSF) Canada Criticizes TPP Deal

A lot of commentary so far has been about the dairy industry; however, Doctors Without Borders Canada released a scathing criticism of the TPP deal reached today by the Conservative caretaker government. In it MSF Canada notes that new intellectual property rules would "limit competition from generic drug manufacturers that reduce drug prices and improve access to treatment, and would accelerate already soaring medicine and vaccine prices." This deal could have an incredibly adverse effect on healthcare in Canada. Provinces already strapped may see healthcare costs soar as a result of the TPP, if the treaty is ratified by parliament. Coupled with Harper failing to reach a new accord on healthcare with the provinces and simply reverting increases to 3%, this spells trouble for not only provincial healthcare expenses but the out of pocket expenses many Canadians have for drugs.

Read MSF Canada's TPP statement here: http://www.msf.ca/en/article/the-negative-impact-on-public-health-will-be-enormous-statement-by-msf-on-the-conclusion-of

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I anticipate a number of different analysis of the TPP as to "good" or "bad" or ... Already this morning I have watched three economists with three different interpretations. I do hope that this has no effect on the coming election election since the details will take a long time to iron out. What is the dispute resolution process, what appeals process etc.?

The long term effects will only be proven through time. What this will do is create change. People generally do not like change.

Guess you are resigned to Harper coming back for another term? <_<

I really have no idea what is going to happen. I suspect that my life will not be greatly effected no matter what the results. I personally do not like majority governments for any party. Minority governments create their own system of checks and balances. When was the last time the Supreme Court overturned legislation passed by a minority government?

It usually takes the government following a majority government at least one term to change legislation which has gone too far in any direction. That creates instability and instability is not good for any economy.

A lot of commentary so far has been about the dairy industry; however, Doctors Without Borders Canada released a scathing criticism of the TPP deal reached today by the Conservative caretaker government. In it MSF Canada notes that new intellectual property rules would "limit competition from generic drug manufacturers that reduce drug prices and improve access to treatment, and would accelerate already soaring medicine and vaccine prices." This deal could have an incredibly adverse effect on healthcare in Canada. Provinces already strapped may see healthcare costs soar as a result of the TPP, if the treaty is ratified by parliament. Coupled with Harper failing to reach a new accord on healthcare with the provinces and simply reverting increases to 3%, this spells trouble for not only provincial healthcare expenses but the out of pocket expenses many Canadians have for drugs.

Read MSF Canada's TPP statement here: http://www.msf.ca/en/article/the-negative-impact-on-public-health-will-be-enormous-statement-by-msf-on-the-conclusion-of

Setting a pharma companies monopoly at eight years isn't going to break any banks.

Increasing big-pharma monopolies is actually anti-free trade...

Oh nonsense. That monopoly is no different than patents, copyrights and trademarks in any other industry. While I think some IP rights, like copyright terms, have been grossly overextended, the fact is that IP rights are absolutely essential to many industries; pharma, technology and manufacturing, and that having those IP rights enforced across an entire trade zone is essential to free trade.

The pharmaceutical industry is the new frontier after the banking vultures stripped the bones of manufacturing. Now they're buying up pharma patents and jacking up the price of life-saving medication to make a buck. That douchebag on Twitter is just a snowflake on the tip of the iceberg.

Almost all of what you say is not in the press release. Canada is not even mentioned once - nor is the Conservative "caretaker" government, nor is Healthcare funding. Why not just stick to the facts - MSF is rightly concerned about any tightening of patent protection rules that might delay the introduction of generic drugs all over the world.

Edited by Keepitsimple

I really have no idea what is going to happen. I suspect that my life will not be greatly effected no matter what the results. I personally do not like majority governments for any party. Minority governments create their own system of checks and balances. When was the last time the Supreme Court overturned legislation passed by a minority government?

It usually takes the government following a majority government at least one term to change legislation which has gone too far in any direction. That creates instability and instability is not good for any economy.

This may blow some people's minds, but I agree with this. I'm more in favor of a Conservative minority than a majority, for this reason above. It's sad the Liberals and the NDP refuse to work with Harper. Given that, I'd have to hope for a Conservative majority but I know it won't happen.

This may blow some people's minds, but I agree with this. I'm more in favor of a Conservative minority than a majority, for this reason above. It's sad the Liberals and the NDP refuse to work with Harper. Given that, I'd have to hope for a Conservative majority but I know it won't happen.

Considering what happened to the Liberals the last time they worked with a Tory minority, why would the Liberals feel at all compelled to do so now? The Tories are going to find that they are about to reap what they sowed. They destroyed two Liberal leaders in a row, one of those leaders while he was making sure they retained confidence for two whole years.

Oh yeah giving an extra 3 years to US patent holders on life saving medical technology from generic knockoffs, totally against humanitarian inclinations. Patents in general are nothing but selfish endeavors that lead to pain suffering and death of people, or at least boredom.

True the medical industry benefits from this but how can one sector which isn't bad off to begin with really be given even more headway to watch humans die as they lust for more wealth at the hands of those who suffer with human frailty that could be cured like the air we breath.

It is a shame we let people own capability that would otherwise be free and benefit society rather than the selfish few.

Shame. SHAME SHAME.

Edited by nerve

Considering what happened to the Liberals the last time they worked with a Tory minority, why would the Liberals feel at all compelled to do so now? The Tories are going to find that they are about to reap what they sowed. They destroyed two Liberal leaders in a row, one of those leaders while he was making sure they retained confidence for two whole years.

Huh? The NDP and Liberals refused to bring down Harper for 5 years of Tory minority. Yes, 5 years. How is it that they could not introduce and pass a motion of confidence in all that time, given that they had the votes in the Commons to do just that?

And Harper did not destroy anybody, the Liberals have been very adept at shooting themselves. Chretien was a corrupt swine ousted by his own party. Martin reaped the whirlwind of that fiasco and became a latter day Mulroney. Dion and Ignatieff were just hopeless clowns , both elected hastily by their own parties and abandoned nearly as quickly.

You have to have brain fever/Harper Derangement Syndrome to blame Mr Sweater Vest for all that.

No doubt there will be pros and cons but I think it's too soon to really know, there are a thousand or so pages so I wonder if they have been read and fully digested. Removing tariffs and increasing exports seems like a good deal.

As far as the dairy industry goes domestic dairy producers will have to live with only 92% of the market instead of 95%, and will be compensated for some time.

And there is trudeau telling everyone he would have done the deal transparently and more open. How dumb is that. These deals are not done thru the newspapers, and if that is the way he operates ,then yes he is not ready. And then there is mulcair saying he will cancel it, if it hurts the auto industry in any way. Well that industry is dying anyways and will eventually be gone. It is time for others to prosper. And maybe like the post men, they will now know all that union crying has caught up to you.

Edited by PIK

Almost all of what you say is not in the press release. Canada is not even mentioned once - nor is the Conservative "caretaker" government, nor is Healthcare funding. Why not just stick to the facts - MSF is rightly concerned about any tightening of patent protection rules that might delay the introduction of generic drugs all over the world.

Yep, he couldn't resist the "caretaker" jab, i rolled my eyes so hard i nearly detached a retina, of course he forgot the part about the deal having to be ratified by the next government, whomever that is, this deal is not being forced upon anyone by a "caretaker" government, o facts, you're so hard on the left.

What really dumb about this deal from what I've heard is the 20,000 people are going to lose their jobs in the auto sector and its going to cost taxpayers 4.3 Billion to pay off the dairy farmers and IF this was such a good deal as the Tories boost it is, why the pay off??

Yep, im sure it's all bad, all the time, this is the conservatives after all, darth vader, evil agenda, etc.

What's 20,000 more lost auto sector jobs because of TPP compared to the much longer running disaster and lost manufacturing jobs in Ontario ?

This is Unifor crap.

Last week they said it was 26,000, this week they said 20,000. A professor at U of T looked into this and crunched the #, he said it was going to be 3/4 of 1% of jobs affected. If you ask me to cite this, go watch Power and Politics. I'm too lazy to dig up the study. About 5:10pm EST tonight.