Did PM Steven Harper Invite Or Deter Terrorism to/from Canada?

Not Yet

Canada has always been a loyal ally to the U.S. But is there a limit to this loyalty as Chretien once demonstrated? Will too much loyalty to America kill and terrorize more Canadians for no justiafiable reasons? At first I was of the attitude "Kill all those damn terrorists" until I read this article and realize that if some foreign troops invaded and occupied Canada because our leader refused to turn over Canada's oil fields for pennies on the dollar, we'd also be pissed off. And if we came home from work one day and found our home smoldering in flames and our spouse and kids charred black like coal from some stray missile, we would also be outraged and called "patriots" to seek revenge on the barbaric bastards responsible for the war crime. So today my opinion is a little more objective. Read this and see if your truly disagree or if you are just trying to be politically correct or a false patriot http://www.globalresearch.ca/prime-minister-stephen-harper-and-canadian-war-crimes-in-afghanistan/24473

This is why IMO Harper has helped to increase terrorism in the world today. Real terrorism must be stopped, but drones impose terrorism from 30,000 feet and Harper implicitly condones this by unconditionally supporting American policies in Afghanistan and Iraq. http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/nov/24/-sp-us-drone-strikes-kill-1147

The UN and 57 countries have agreed that drones = terrorism and the war in Afghanistan is illegal. So should Canada really be fighting America's illegal war? Before you answer just think about how fairly America has treated Canada on past lumber and trade deals. Do they really deserve such unconditional loyalty or do we have the right to say "No Thank You" once in a while?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada has always been a loyal ally to the U.S. But is there a limit to this loyalty as Chretien once demonstrated? Will too much loyalty to America kill and terrorize more Canadians for no justiafiable reasons? ... Do they really deserve such unconditional loyalty or do we have the right to say "No Thank You" once in a while?

You just do not understand. Some bright lights here will swear that if they came home from work one day and found their home smoldering in flames and their spouse and kids charred black like coal from some stray missile, they would certainly NOT be outraged and called "patriots" to seek revenge on the barbaric bastards responsible for the war crime. They would understand that it was just poor aim and write it off as just a bad luck "OOPS!".

They (unlike those strange people in the Middle East) would understand. After all, we are different; that's why they put erasers on the end of pencils and nobody's perfect and even the best hitters average leas than .400 and ...

The UN and 57 countries have agreed that drones = terrorism and the war in Afghanistan is illegal. So should Canada really be fighting America's illegal war? Before you answer just think about how fairly America has treated Canada on past lumber and trade deals. Do they really deserve such unconditional loyalty or do we have the right to say "No Thank You" once in a while?

Before you answer, think which country is most likely to come to our defence if any kind of military crisis arises between us and Russia...

So we should just become puppets to the American neoconservatives so that they can save us from the Russians if need be. If we are already enslaved to the foreign policy of a country to protect us from another then we have already given up our sovereignty in the process.

We should recognize our allies, be open when we disapprove, but not just dump them because they make what we view to be foreign policy blunders.

The United States has saved the free world on a number of occasions, and did things that, well, countries like Canada either couldn't or wouldn't do. Do I approve of everything they've ever done, well no, of course not. Not even many Americans approve of what the US government has done. But all in all, the US has been one of the most restrained Great Powers in history. When you look at what the Great Powers of the 19th century were up to, I'd take the US any day of the week.

Just a reminder, there's TWO sides to a story. When 9/11 happened, I read an article that a free-lance writer wrote that the reason 9/11 could happen is that no North American would believe that any government would attack its own country or its people. now because on the web and because people are getting wiser, people are now questioning their own governments and I do believe that Harper put in a clause about questioning the government or saying anything against it, did he not?? The power behind invading the ME is to invade, destroy and take over, and control the ME countries.

My point is that we simply cannot align ourselves with any country UNCONDITIONALLY like Harper has done. Only during election campaigns does he even try to assert a little rhetoric about Canada's indpendence. And do you really think we need to fear and invasion from Russia? Get real. Even if Russia got aggressive with Canada, no NATO country would not support us whether we have troops in Afghanistan or not. We should never let Canadian troops occupy another country unless it is part of UN peacekeeping mission IMO. In only 50 years America went from being the most admired and respected country to beomimg the most loathed, dreaded, and feared. And we are perceived around the globe with a wink and a nod as America's obedient "little brother".

.... In only 50 years America went from being the most admired and respected country to beomimg the most loathed, dreaded, and feared. And we are perceived around the globe with a wink and a nod as America's obedient "little brother".

America was doing the same thing 100 years before that. First war was with with Canada/Britian...that's how it came to be.

Canada has followed American foreign policy and economy for many decades, long before Harper or "terrorism" came along.

My point is that we simply cannot align ourselves with any country UNCONDITIONALLY like Harper has done.

You have utterly failed at demonstrating he has aligned himself "unconditionally" with the US. In fact, you have not even made the attempt.

Only during election campaigns does he even try to assert a little rhetoric about Canada's indpendence.

Why would he even need to. And btw, my understanding is the best description of the relationship between Harper and Obama would be "Icy".

In only 50 years America went from being the most admired and respected country to beomimg the most loathed, dreaded, and feared.

Drivel.

And we are perceived around the globe with a wink and a nod as America's obedient "little brother".

Also nonsense. You make unsupported statements which are nothing but your opinion, yet treat them as fact.

My point is that we simply cannot align ourselves with any country UNCONDITIONALLY like Harper has done..

. And we are perceived around the globe with a wink and a nod as America's obedient "little brother".

I remember a time when Canadians going abroad wore a Canadian flag on their lapel or backpack as a sign of pride. Later, after American incursions into foreign nations, even American travelers were wearing Canadian pins in an attempt to keep them safer from the building anti-American sentiments in Europe and the rest of the world.

Now, the Canadian flag pin provides no protection. We are now perceived as pseudo-Americans, supporting the questionable American foreign "excursions" and getting our hands just as dirty. This change has occurred during the Harper administration. Some Canadians are proud of that fact.

I am not.

I remember a time when Canadians going abroad wore a Canadian flag on their lapel or backpack as a sign of pride.\

No, you remember a television commercial. The idea the world gave a shit about a Canadian flag on a lapel was boorish and ludicrous, then or now.

And didn't someone just post a study which showed Canada was the world's most admired nation? What evidence do you have otherwise but your extreme left wing biases?

Here, read it and cry.

Canada is the "most admired" country with the "best reputation" in the world, according to an annual survey ranking the reputations of developed nations across the globe.

The 2015 report from the Reputation Institute ranked Canada as the most reputable country in the world, based on a variety of environmental, political, and economic factors.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-ranked-as-most-admired-country-in-the-world-report-1.2470040

We should recognize our allies, be open when we disapprove, but not just dump them because they make what we view to be foreign policy blunders.

The United States has saved the free world on a number of occasions, and did things that, well, countries like Canada either couldn't or wouldn't do. Do I approve of everything they've ever done, well no, of course not. Not even many Americans approve of what the US government has done. But all in all, the US has been one of the most restrained Great Powers in history. When you look at what the Great Powers of the 19th century were up to, I'd take the US any day of the week.

Advancing the neoconservative imperial agenda isn't defending America.

Do you remember what happened in World War 2 when Canada was at war with Germany? The US didn't even come to our aid then. It was only until Germany actually declared war on them that they entered the war against Germany.