Should pols be prosecuted for old crimes they hid from us?

Go.Leafs

I'm not talking about Harper, Mulroney, Martin or any one politician. I am talking about any and all politicians who uses their position to conceal felony crimes by having files sealed or investigations derailed, or refusing to fund an inquiry. Because they have authorities to control and manipulate investigative agencies and regulatory bodies and bureaus, they effectively can get away with a lot of graft and corruption. This is especially true when they can hand-pick the heads of these agencies who then run interference for them if their are "irregularites".

So, since they have this unique ability to delay and derail investigations, should we not have a special law that eliminates he statute of limitations for their crimes, or at least do not start the clock until they leave office? A good example is the Schreiber scandal. Mulroney could not be criminally prosecuted because the statute of limitations expired. But we did not learn of the accusations for years because he made damn sure everything was so well hidden.

I thnk such a law might make these pols realize that their impunity is only temporary and they might actually be held legally responsible for their criminal adventures - eventually. Politicians that are lawyers and know how to manuever the legal system and shop judges are even more likely to get away with super crimes. What do you guys think?

Edited by Go.Leafs

"A good example is the Schreiber scandal. Mulroney could not be criminally prosecuted because the statute of limitations expired."

Do you have some kind of link to back this up ?

The scandal you mention wasn't "hidden" from us, and I don't remember the statute of limitations playing into this one. If it did, then it's a right that extends to all Canadians so this thread seems to ask for fewer rights for politicians.

In any case, did this just come from your mind or is there a recent/relevant example to start the discussion ?

Thanks.

Well Michael, you have peaked my interest and I have been finding some interesting stuff. For example Canada has passed some super strict laws that hammer people heavily for overseas bribes of foreign officials without statute of limitations but for domestic bribes everything becomes lenient and ambiguous. For some reason I cannot paste the links here. So just Google "Canada corruption statute of limitations for government officials".

Absolutely they should be prosecuted like anyone else. They are not above the law and I think they should start right here with this crime that has separated a Canadian family for six years, sheated over 100 Canadians out of $43 million and allowed over $1B of drugs to hit the streets of Canada http://www.opnlttr.com/letter/open-letter-amnesty-international-aclu-help-american-whistle-blower-reunite-canadian-family

Prosecuting Harper and Rob Nicholson would send the right signal to the whole bunch of them that time does not erase their accountability. Anyone who doubts the story of the above link only needs to follow all the links and you will see major felonies taking place on Canadian soil by corrupt government officials with Harper and his predecessors deliberately turning a blind eye and probably being paid off for the their deliberate ignorance despite two insider witnesses writing him letters like this one http://2006bruce.blogspot.com

Edited by Not Yet

Absolutely they should be prosecuted like anyone else. They are not above the law and I think they should start right here with this crime that has separated a Canadian family for six years, sheated over 100 Canadians out of $43 million and allowed over $1B of drugs to hit the streets of Canada http://www.opnlttr.com/letter/open-letter-amnesty-international-aclu-help-american-whistle-blower-reunite-canadian-family

Prosecuting Harper and Rob Nicholson would send the right signal to the whole bunch of them that time does not erase their accountability. Anyone who doubts the story of the above link only needs to follow all the links and you will see major felonies taking place on Canadian soil by corrupt government officials with Harper and his predecessors deliberately turning a blind eye and probably being paid off for the their deliberate ignorance despite two insider witnesses writing him letters like this one http://2006bruce.blogspot.com

I agree with you 20% but who would dare to accuse a sitting PM and his former Justice Minister of a felony crime? Any law enforcement officer who filed the charges would get a visit from Revenue Canada, be blackballed and transferred to the Yukon territories!

You seem to be rather confused about the differences between the US and American legal systems.

All Canadian citizens, regardless of their job titles need to be held accountable to the same laws. Likewise the punishments doled out to violators should also have equal parity. I think the only real question to ask is whether you let an official resign or finish their term before prosecution begins, especially when we think about the law that requires "presumption of innocence" (Innocent until proven guilty).