US To Deploy Hyper-Missiles

Would the military application make for greater deterrence? Something traveling at a quarter that speed will still get to its destination.

What might be achieved is the ability to crow for a few hours before the "user" of the new missile says its last prayers.

The reason that there has been no nuclear confrontation until now is that every possessor of the technology knows that there is no point to a no-win war. I don't see how this changes anything.

Would the military application make for greater deterrence? Something traveling at a quarter that speed will still get to its destination.

Perhaps, but it also makes sense.......as in the story posted by MS, if a "bin laden" type target were to be found by American intelligence, these missiles could attack the target in a mater of hours, instead of up to a day......stands to reason that the faster you hit the bugger, the less chance there is that he could leave the targeted location.

As for nuclear deterence, I'm sure this would allow a first strike capablitiy.....team that with NMD.

The US's smart bombs are extremely stupid bombs

Care to expand on that?

I tend to disagree, based on the fact that during WW II and Korea to hit a specifc target (say a bunker) it would require hundreds of bombers, dropping thousands of tons of high explosive, killing thousands of people......now compare that to todays standards.......I think they have every right to call them "smart bombs".

why don't you two comprimise and call them less stupid bombs or not as dumb bombs or maybe Ralph Nader Bombs?

Why? In comparison to a 60 year old iron "retarded" bomb, a modern JDAM is very smart.........

Remember how useless the Patriot missles were during the Gulf war?

Remeber how useless the first aircraft were?

What about phones?

The Mercury rockets?

In the second gulf war, the Patriot had 12 engagments, and splashed all twelve targets..........

Remember the first engagement, it was an accident the missile launched accidently.

Yeah, it launched at a British Tornado, which had a malfunctioning "friend or foe" transponder.......IIRC, that happend twice with British aircraft.......which is the fault of a RAF, not Patriot........and Patriot still splashed both targets :rolleyes:

I kind of liked BD's description. Soon the US will be able to destroy any Chinese Embassy directly from the US.

By the time this technology has matured, I think it's possable that anything Chinese hit by something from the United States will not be of an accidental nature.