End the Harper Government: My views on Canada's democracy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BC CHICK check this out I hope it helps you.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/08/17/harper-derangement-syndrome-goes-mainstream

It was a clear case of Harper Derangement Syndrome (HDS), whereby people are so blindly incensed by the mere fact Stephen Harper is prime minister that they can’t think straight, thus completely undermining whatever credibility their arguments may have had.

It’s one thing to witness such antics from anonymous misfits, it’s another to see them in the pages of the Toronto Star.

“Why Harper (and friends) are a bigger threat than (the Islamic State)” is the actual headline of an opinion piece by Tony Burman, that appeared on Saturday

Pik, (like Argus) you are missing the point.

Fact - pre-Harper the chances of me losing my citizenship over my views of Israel was zero. Now it's above zero (however small, it's still ABOVE zero).

Dispute that or sit down.

Edited by BC_chick

The better analogy would be if the gov't enacted legislation that allowed horizontal drilling in your area and this increased the likelihood of causing a sinkhole under your house. You might not get swallowed whole but I'm pretty sure you'd fight it like you were or if your neighbour had a rickety house (ie. brown).

I'm still waiting, months after I first made the obvservation, for you to contribute anything to a thread other than snide insults.

There is ZERO chance someone would be stripped of his or her citizenship and shipped overseas after 30 years in Canada for taking part in one of those stupid boycotts of Israel.

Btw, are you boycotting China? Their human rights record is a lot worse than Israel's. No, didn't think so.

What about those people born in England that the feds said had to leave because they weren't born Canadian, but Canadians were British subjects until 1947?

What about those people born in England that the feds said had to leave because they weren't born Canadian, but Canadians were British subjects until 1947?

There were a few cases of people who fell between the rules, but I don't believe any of them ever wound up being deported.

If they're unconstitutional they will be found so. Again, no reason to be so frightened.

So. Either your hero Harper is spending government resources and putting a chill on legitimate dissent by passing unconstitutional legislation OR you're talking out your arse. Most likely both.

You're right. Harper has made a practise of wasting money passing laws he know will be struck down. He understands that his base, comprised of largely poorly educated and unintelligent followers, will be energized when the SCC strikes down his ridiculous laws. Then the Conservative fundraisers can indignantly point to "judicial activism" and the cheques will pour in so Sir Harper can strike down all those leftists in the courts.

He also knows that many people in BC_chick's position will self censor rather than risk being deported - even if the risk is small.

So, even as you and others like you admit he abuses his power, you'll support him anyway because you think he puts a few extra tax dollars in your pocket. Spend your 30 pieces of silver wisely.

Edited by ReeferMadness

So. Either your hero Harper is spending government resources and putting a chill on legitimate dissent by passing unconstitutional legislation OR you're talking out your arse.

Nooo, either he's passing unconstitutional legislation or he isn't. If he isn't then you're talking out of your arse.

In either event, the courts will decide.

Nooo, either he's passing unconstitutional legislation or he isn't. If he isn't then you're talking out of your arse.

In either event, the courts will decide.

On this, to some extent I agree. While I think governments on occasion intentionally pass unconstitutional legislation (the Senate term limit legislation is an example of something the Government's legal advisers must have known was unconstitutional), often enough the constitutional issues are not necessarily all that obvious. Parliament has its share of lawyers, but lawyers with specific expertise in Constitutional issues are not all that common, as it is in many ways a rather specific area of law. And even within those rarefied circles there are points of contention, whether it is with the precise nature of conventions and other unwritten aspects of the Constitution, and even with the written text.

Edited by ToadBrother

Interesting how Harper all of a sudden comes up with 100 million for the refugee issue, and that it was announced by Christian Paradis, and not Chris Alexander, who's portfolio it comes under, but who is likely under a bus somewhere. Do we need a leader who ricochets around from day to day based on what they think might grab a few votes?

So Canada announces it plan on the Immigration of Syrian refugees and wait....who announced it? That's right, the Immigration Minister himself Chris Alexander. Is this all starting to make sense for you now?

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-alexander-refugees-1.3235415

Obviously Harper considers himself as one of our "old stock Canadians". His foreign policy and attitude towards immigrants and refugees indicates a strong reluctance to share Canada with others. There is nothing illegal or evil in that and many Canadians agree with him. While he is Prime Minister and has that power, he will wield it achieve his agenda. What is the use of having power if you are not going to use it. I would have no problem if he just stated that he does not want more foreigners in Canada and leave it there.

What bothers me is the misinformation he spews instead. He has been on the airwaves excusing his lack of action on Canadian inability to process these people. Either he does not understand what we are capable of or he is lying.

The Canadian military is the key to any emergency foreign processing and transportation.

Canadian retired Generals Roméo Dallaire, Lewis MacKenzie and Rick Hillier have all come out to urge Harper to act and have indicated no fear of terrorist infiltration. They all feel that our forces have the capability to have had refugees on Canadian soil weeks ago. They also estimate that Canada can easily handle tens of thousands of refugees.

I have to then conclude that Harper understands our capabilities but for personal reasons does not want to do so and lies to hide that fact.

I resent being lied to.

Obviously Harper considers himself as one of our "old stock Canadians". His foreign policy and attitude towards immigrants and refugees indicates a strong reluctance to share Canada with others.

No doubt that is why he's raised immigration to an all-time high... :rolleyes:

Canada still has a long way to go

There are more foreign born people in Toronto and Vancouver than Canadian born. Just how far do you want us to go? Until those born and raised here are a despised minority hidden away on reservations?

There are more foreign born people in Toronto and Vancouver than Canadian born. Just how far do you want us to go? Until those born and raised here are a despised minority hidden away on reservations?

I guess we should probably come up with some radicals ideas to encourage white women to have more babies like free daycare, lump sum payment for every white baby born, or free post secondary education for white students.

I guess we should probably come up with some radicals ideas to encourage white women to have more babies like free daycare, lump sum payment for every white baby born, or free post secondary education for white students.

Aren't all those programs available to people of every colour? Do you see everything through the prism of an obsession about race?

Good post. Getting to know our local candidates and voting for the best local candidate instead of party helps too.

How does one get "to know the candidate" when almost everything Harper does is secret until after the fact? Just look back at all the unpleasant surprises he gave us for a decade. Then there is the crap we never find out about until the damage is already done. This here is just one glaring example and there are probably many more like it that may not come out for another ten years...

"What sensitive and confidential information has NSA been using to blackmail and manipulate Ottawa. It is my honest opinion that Snowden knows this to be true and is probably why $1B of drugs a year has been allowed to fly into Canada for North American distribution from native aboriginal lands in Quebec and Saskatchewan. The money launderers for this group were named (Nesbitt Burns and Levesque) when American Financial Group was partially exposed in 2001 by the Toronto Star http://www.investorvoice.ca/PI/229.html The full story never was told http://www.opnlttr.com/letter/real-news-americans-canadians-never-got-read-harper-bush-dodged-bullets and when you dig into this you have to know that although Harper was made well aware of this and the below links, he chose to extradite the witness instead of stopping the corruption and arresting everyone involved! http://2006bruce.blogspot.com.

We all know what a transparent regime Stevie has been operating all these years right? Truly this makes the Duffy and Schreiber scandals look like child's play. And in my mind there is no way the American thugs in Washington could get Harper to turn his back on this criminal enterprise on Canadian soil, UNLESS they had something to hold over his head. Snowden should be asked directly about this subject. https://americanfinancialgroupfraud.wordpress.com/ Corrupt American officials have been funding their campaigns with these drug moneys that they launder on Wall Street and then liquidate in Montreal. Just read all the above links before you call me a conspiracy nut. My only question is whether Harper is getting a slice of this pie as well?"

So to be frank, we "get to know a candidate" by what we are allowed to see. None of them will ever allow us to see their mistakes and dark side right?

Edited by Not Yet

• 3 weeks later...