The End of Homework in Schools?

This is an interesting article from the CBC. There is much discussion in education circles about the value of homework. This article has caused a heated debate in the comments section with over 700 comments arguing both sides.

Personally, I feel some homework is healthy for skill reinforcement.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/back-to-school-2015-is-the-end-of-homework-near-1.3209856

I agree that some homework is healthy, but after watching the amount my kids had I think some common sense is called for. I don't think it's a good idea for each teacher of each course to independently set homework without knowing what the others are setting.

I'm fine with homework, provided that it isn't the mindless busy work that is assigned far too often. At some point, it became normal to simply just assign homework, every class, regardless of the need. I'd rather see teachers use diagnostics (entrance/exit slips, surveys, formative quizzes, etc.) to constantly gauge areas of strength and weakness then target specific online help resources to reinforce areas of need. With current technology a targeted approach like this can do more good in far less time. Which, is important because extra curriculars and family time is just as important as academic subjects. When students spend 6 hours in class, we shouldn't just mindlessly assign a second shift at night.

• 2 weeks later...

I see no problem with homework that reinforces daily concepts.

I don't believe that we should dumb down school workload because parents either don't have enough time or care to ensure their child does it.

Some parents overload their children with afterschool activities too, not giving children enough flex time for other commitments. That shouldn't be factored into the equation either... that is a parents decision to focus on something other than school.

As long as the work is related to a practicing a valuable skill and letting the child have enough free time to just be a kid.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

How many on here had homework without their school years? I did and I went to a one-room school, and the teacher would stay after hours and help any student if they asked and she lived a good hour away. How many teachers that u know would/have stayed after hours and help students? I know my local school many of the teachers are out the door before the buses are loaded. I'm not saying teacher aren't good at teacher , I'm saying there are good teachers who really like being teachers and some not so.

How many on here had homework without their school years? I did and I went to a one-room school, and the teacher would stay after hours and help any student if they asked and she lived a good hour away. How many teachers that u know would/have stayed after hours and help students?

The vast majority spend time during prep periods/lunches/before and after school helping students. I also had homework as a student and have no problem with it, if targeted and necessary. However, far too many still use a blanket approach for the whole class. For example, everyone reads pp150-162 and do questions 1-15. There is little value to that.

The one size fits all approach to lessons and homework really only meets the needs of 40%-50%. Why bore the kids already well beyond that lesson or frustrate the kids still struggling with previous concepts? The numbers get even worse if classes aren't streamed. However, the use of frequent, formative diagnostic tools to gauge the needs of individuals and then targeted online, self help learning and practice resources can reach almost everyone and also lower the time spent on homework.