It is ironic that of all issues, the one of refugee acceptance may be the cause of the EU unravelling. Germany has called for mandatory quotas for member states for the settlement of refugees while member nations are balking at the directive. This is getting interesting.

Germany can take them all. They're a big part of the problem to being with. These huge masses of people desperately heading north only became an impossible issue after Angela Merkel announced that Germany would ignore EU rules that refugees had to apply in the first EU member they landed and would accept any Syrian who got there through whatever means.

Edited by Scotty

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand corrected, demographics are 72%

http://data.unhcr.org/mediterranean/regional.html

You're not looking at the big picture, just the small sample Ezra told you to look at. Once again, look at the data for the Total Persons of Concern.

http://data.unhcr.or...es/regional.php

Edited by BubberMiley

Germany can take them all. They're a big part of the problem to being with. These huge masses of people desperately heading north only became an impossible issue after Angela Merkel announced that Germany would ignore EU rules that refugees had to apply in the first EU member they landed and would accept any Syrian who got there through whatever means.

Germany will regret this but the flow is continuing and will likely increase. They are now pushing past police (in order to get to Sweden, Sweden has allready suffered from riots, I doubt thousands more will improve the situation. I have no doubt this is going to end in more riots and blood.

The sheer numbers are hard to comprehend, so what is the upper limit for Europe and for Canada - should we take millions in no questions asked?

BTW, Canada is the second highest for refugee resettlement

http://www.unhcr.org/524c31a09.html

You're not looking at the big picture, just the small sample Ezra told you to look at. Once again, look at the data for the Total Persons of Concern.

http://data.unhcr.or...es/regional.php

Well, gee. Look at that. Ezra Levant is full of crap again? Edited by cybercoma

Eye you refer to WE as continuing to create the conditions compelling refugees to exodus as you said... who is WE Eye?

Do not assign culpability to me for the actions of Assad, ISIL, Iran Al Quaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Muslim extremists and terrorists, their nations that sit and refuse to engage in diplomatic intervention and take in refugees-where the hell do you get off blaming me or any Canadian for that?

You provide an excellent example of the shrill leftist b.s. rhetoric some of us challenge on this board. No do not lay that b.s. guilt trip on me or. Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me or anyone else. Take the royal prerogative WE and your attempt to blame me for 3,000 years of Muslim on Muslim violence in the ME file it under d for delusional.

Edited by Rue

Why we keep creating the conditions compelling refugees to exodus\/ Who is we Eye. Do not assign culpability to me for the actions of Assad, ISIL, Iran Al Quaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Muslim extremists and terrorists, their nations that sit and refuse to engage in diplomatic intervention and take in refugees-where do you get off blaming me or any Canadian for that?

You are an excellent example of the shrill leftist b.s. some of us challenge on this board. No you do not lay that b.s. guilt trip on me or any other Canadian. Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me or anyone else in this country, just yourself. Take the royal prerogative we and file it under d for delusional.

So you're just going to ignore the last half a century of CIA, MI6 (now SIS), and western military manipulation and intervention in sovereign Middle Eastern states? You're going to pretend that the West didn't arm radicals to fight against the Soviet Union in Afghanistan? That the West didn't pick sides in Iran, sparking off a revolution? That killing Saddam Hussein didn't create a political vacuum allowing extremists to gain power and influence? Pretending the West has absolutely no responsibility in the radicalization of the Middle East is laughably naive.

There is one person, General Richard Hillier, who has a greater knowledge of the military and international issues than anyone here, who suggests that Canada accept 50,000 refugees this year. He is clearly a conservative and has been approached by the Conservatives to run as one of them in the next election.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/the-gargoyle-hillier-wants-canada-to-accept-50000-refugees-by-end-of-year

What makes you folks right and him wrong?

Edited by Big Guy

Eye you refer to WE as continuing to create the conditions compelling refugees to exodus as you said... who is WE Eye?

Do not assign culpability to me for the actions of Assad, ISIL, Iran Al Quaeda, Hezbollah, Hamas, Muslim extremists and terrorists, their nations that sit and refuse to engage in diplomatic intervention and take in refugees-where the hell do you get off blaming me or any Canadian for that?

You provide an excellent example of the shrill leftist b.s. rhetoric some of us challenge on this board. No do not lay that b.s. guilt trip on me or. Speak for yourself. You don't speak for me or anyone else. Take the royal prerogative WE and your attempt to blame me for 3,000 years of Muslim on Muslim violence in the ME file it under d for delusional.

Rue, your viewpoint is both disgusting and repellent. Best you go waste it on someone who gives a shit.

Edited by eyeball

There's more to it than that. Pretending is a tactic. Widespread naivete is the goal and in many cases is both feigned and wilful.

It's pretty grotesque really.

I get where they're coming from. ISIS is responsible for the direct actions of ISIS. But it's ridiculously myopic to think that ISIS exists in a vacuum and that there weren't influences from the West over two generations that lead to this moment.

I get where they're coming from. ISIS is responsible for the direct actions of ISIS. But it's ridiculously myopic to think that ISIS exists in a vacuum and that there weren't influences from the West over two generations that lead to this moment.

Everything influences everything else. What a revelation. If you want to go back to the "root causes" in any meaningful way, the main reason "the West" got into the Middle-East in a big way at all in the 20th century is because of the Ottoman Empire's aggression against the Entente powers in WWI, which ended in its defeat and dissolution. After it fell apart, its territories became split up under the administration of the various victorious powers, just as Germany was after WWII.

Edited by Bonam

Everything influences everything else.

Oh god. Give me a break. EVERYTHING influences EVERYTHING? That's what you're going with? You're just going to pretend the West hasn't had direct involvement in the region for two generations? That it's literally a straight fucking line between the two?

Oh god. Give me a break. EVERYTHING influences EVERYTHING? That's what you're going with? You're just going to pretend the West hasn't had direct involvement in the region for two generations? That it's literally a straight fucking line between the two?

For one, you could try reading the rest of my post. Secondly, "the West" has had "direct involvement" in the middle east for a lot more than two generations. Probably the involvement has been significant ever since the Greco-Persian wars starting back in 500 BC.

Edited by Bonam

The only way this ends at all well is, believe or not, If Putin decides to end it. He's the only world leader with the power to do so. If he, as some suggest he might, sends in Russian troops and aircraft that could end the Syrian conflict, cut the legs out from under ISIS and make their operations in Iraq unsustainable. The Western powers don't have the balls to send troops in, and the Arabs don't have the will or reliable troops. The Turks could do it, but they're more Pro ISIS than they like to let on. Putin could end this in a couple of months, then do a quick changeout of someone else for Asad.

For one, you could try reading the rest of my post. Secondly, "the West" has had "direct involvement" in the middle east for a lot more than two generations. Probably the involvement has been significant ever since the Greco-Persian wars starting back in 500 BC.

The West's policies had a direct impact on the creation of al Qaeda. They directly impacted Iran and their revolution, which lead to the regressive theocratic regime in place now. They directly led to the Taliban's hold on Afghanistan. They directly created the political vacuum in Iraq that allows ISIL to operate now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So yeah. Go ahead and pretend that ohhh it's all just a big mish mash of history and the west really has nothing to do with anything.

Edited by cybercoma

The only way this ends at all well is, believe or not, If Putin decides to end it. He's the only world leader with the power to do so. If he, as some suggest he might, sends in Russian troops and aircraft that could end the Syrian conflict, cut the legs out from under ISIS and make their operations in Iraq unsustainable.

Right, like they did with their successful campaign in Chechnya and the North Caucasus region.........but only on an expeditionary scale into Syria like their past war in Afghanistan :rolleyes:

The West's policies had a direct impact on the creation of al Qaeda. They directly impacted Iran and their revolution, which lead to the regressive theocratic regime in place now. They directly led to the Taliban's hold on Afghanistan. They directly created the political vacuum in Iraq that allows ISIL to operate now. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So yeah. Go ahead and pretend that ohhh it's all just a big mish mash of history and the west really has nothing to do with anything.

No it's not "just a big mish mash". It is the history of humankind. The way the world is today is a function of the way the world was before. The history of the interaction between "the West" and the middle east did not start "two generations ago", despite you wanting to start your narrative then.

In any case, while history is important to understand, constantly trying to assign blame and fault to "the West" for everything is an obsession of the far left, while more reasonable people would rather focus on understanding and resolving today's problems. And while providing temporary places for people to escape violence is a laudable goal, that is not how the refugee systems of most Western countries function (since they focus instead on permanently resettling small numbers of people rather than temporarily sheltering large numbers), nor will taking in refugees solve the fundamental issues at hand.

Edited by Bonam