LPC Wants Ban Of Political Ads On TV And Radio

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/21/former-legislator-ban-political-ads-from-canadian-tv-radio/

A former MPP wants the government to destroy freedom of speech and expression - in the interests of "fairness". Now that the LPC is trailing in fundraising for its propaganda, it wants to government to hijack the process of political messaging and campaigning. Naturally, he makes no mention of the over one billion dollars flowing from taxpayers to the left-wing CBC that campaigns endlessly against conservatism and in favor of leftism (LPC and NDP, naturally).

The left is so typical.... if you don't like something, BAN IT. If you can't get your way, USE THE IRON FIST OF THE GOVERNMENT TO FORCE IT.

Edited by kraychik

A great idea. Stop the rich elite from buying elections through the funding of the dissemination of mass propaganda.

We should live in a Democracy not a Plutocracy.

I agree. It should be a criminal offense for people to freely donate money and resources to a political cause. The government should be the sole arbiter of funding for all political communications, it shall determine the parameters of legitimate political expression, who qualifies for such expression, and the volume of resources allotted to such persons.

I don't think it should be a criminal offense to donate money to a political party, but I believe that the amount should be severely limited so that the rich can't control the political process which would be anti-democratic.

I didn't say "political party". Neither does the proposal discussed in the article. It's about all political messaging. Which essentially means everything.

Edited by kraychik

I agree. It should be a criminal offense for people to freely donate money and resources to a political cause. The government should be the sole arbiter of funding for all political communications, it shall determine the parameters of legitimate political expression, who qualifies for such expression, and the volume of resources allotted to such persons.

Obviously any set of rules that approached being accurately described by the above would be absurd, but at the same time, we don't want Canadian elections to become giant public circuses fueled by billions of dollars from rich donors as they are in the US.

Some restrictions regarding campaign financing are probably in order, although the ones already in existence in Canada are probably about right.

Obviously any set of rules that approached being accurately described by the above would be absurd, but at the same time, we don't want Canadian elections to become giant public circuses fueled by billions of dollars from rich donors as they are in the US.

Some restrictions regarding campaign financing are probably in order, although the ones already in existence in Canada are probably about right.

Disagree. Public funding of campaigns is an abomination. As is the existence of the CBC, which is doing a 24/7/365 campaign for leftism. Worse is the CRTC, which destroys competition and preserves the status quo of left-wing TV (Global, CTV, Omni, CHRO, etc). It's all part of the campaign, although I think people see this as a separate issue. What I'm unfamiliar with is what the restrictions are, if any, on donations to PACs.

Remind me to research that.

Actually as I mentioned in my other post ads on television and radio are different from print mediums in that they don't give the listener choice unlike print culture. They just flood the person's senses on that bandwidth or station without choice. Therefore I agree that political ads should be banned from the airwaves unless an option pops up and asks the viewer if they wish to see or listen to the ad.

Edited by G Huxley

Actually as I mentioned in my other post ads on television and radio are different from print mediums in that they don't give the listener choice unlike print culture. They just flood the person's senses on that bandwidth or station without choice. Therefore I agree that political ads should be banned from the airwaves unless an option pops up and asks the viewer if they wish to see or listen to the ad.

You're right. People have no choice but to watch TV and radio. They are literally forced to watch and listen to both. Unlike newspapers and magazines. Or something.

Disagree. Public funding of campaigns is an abomination. As is the existence of the CBC, which is doing a 24/7/365 campaign for leftism. Worse is the CRTC, which destroys competition and preserves the status quo of left-wing TV (Global, CTV, Omni, CHRO, etc). It's all part of the campaign, although I think people see this as a separate issue. What I'm unfamiliar with is what the restrictions are, if any, on donations to PACs.

Remind me to research that.

I don't think the existence of the CBC is a problem in itself; I'm not fundamentally opposed to a state-funded broadcaster existing. That said, I agree that it would be better if the leftist bias was removed. I don't know enough about the CRTC to comment.

Public funding of campaigns... I can certainly see the argument against it, but I'm not too offended by it as long as the amount is small enough. While shoveling public money to political parties is inherently slimy, allowing parties to have some baseline level of funding so that fundraising isn't the be-all end-all of politics has its merits. The extent to which politics in America is all about fund-raising is problematic, in my opinion, and I can't think of a good solution besides some level of public funding.

I don't think the existence of the CBC is a problem in itself; I'm not fundamentally opposed to a state-funded broadcaster existing. That said, I agree that it would be better if the leftist bias was removed. I don't know enough about the CRTC to comment.

We'll have to disagree. I absolutely oppose any state funding for media outside of limited national security objectives. Further, left-wing bias is a natural product of a state-broadcaster. You *cannot* have a state-broadcaster that isn't left-wing.

Public funding of campaigns... I can certainly see the argument against it, but I'm not too offended by it as long as the amount is small enough. While shoveling public money to political parties is inherently slimy, allowing parties to have some baseline level of funding so that fundraising isn't the be-all end-all of politics has its merits. The extent to which politics in America is all about fund-raising is problematic, in my opinion, and I can't think of a good solution besides some level of public funding.

If parties can't solicit funding, they should get out of the political business. Just like the real world. No subsidies. America needs MORE fundraising, not less. Too many people don't put their money where their mouths are. More money from more grassroots salt of the earth Americans and you might not have seen two terms of Obama.

"

You're right. People have no choice but to watch TV and radio. They are literally forced to watch and listen to both. Unlike newspapers and magazines. Or something."

They aren't forced to watch TV or radio, but if they are listening and a political ad comes on then they hear it without having had a choice whether they wanted to listen to it or not.

The CBC in general I'm ok with. I have a problem with a state-run and state-funded news organization. I don't have any numbers but I'd imagine the state-run CBC News, both on TV and online, is close to if not the most popular national news source in those 2 mediums. I'd much prefer a public news broadcaster like PBS in the U.S. that is an independent non-profit and is largely funded by donations. The quality of the news and new programs (like Frontline) are top notch.

We'll have to disagree. I absolutely oppose any state funding for media outside of limited national security objectives. Further, left-wing bias is a natural product of a state-broadcaster. You *cannot* have a state-broadcaster that isn't left-wing.

Agreed...I have long maintained that the state funded and controlled CBC is exactly that. It is a state broadcaster in every sense.

"More money from more grassroots salt of the earth Americans and you might not have seen two terms of Obama."

It was the grassroots which got Obama elected. Do you live in a glass bubble or something?

No, as President Obama's campaign was mostly financed by the usual deep pockets of the left. I guess big money in politics is OK as long as your side prevails, eh ?

Agreed...I have long maintained that the state funded and controlled CBC is exactly that. It is a state broadcaster in every sense.

NPR, CBC. (all "arts" projects funded by the state, i.e. Alexandre Trudeau's documentaries), BBC, ABC (Australia), etc.

Al-Jazeera, RT, Channel 1 (Russia), etc..

Edited by kraychik

No, as President Obama's campaign was mostly financed by the usual deep pockets of the left. I guess big money in politics is OK as long as your side prevails, eh ?

Oh I reckon the Koch bros. got deeper pockets than anybody on the left. But perhaps the buffoonery of the likes of the Donald will pave the way for another dem. term. I bet you wish you could keep Obama. He'd be a shoe in.

Oh I reckon the Koch bros. got deeper pockets than anybody on the left. But perhaps the buffoonery of the likes of the Donald will pave the way for another dem. term. I bet you wish you could keep Obama. He'd be a shoe in.

Spoken like a true political neophyte.