Why the NDP will lose the next election

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time here. Hello! Does anyone have a link to the actual tpp or at least some part of it? Of particular interest is how this document will change intellectual property laws regarding pharmaceuticals.

Yeah. Well, if you were a pharmaceutical executive, you would probably know exactly what it says because industry was invited to participate. Unlike labour, environmental groups or us ordinary peons.

The text hasn't been released and nobody seems to know when it will be.

I have no respect for the Liberals when they use the 'politics of fear and division' either but tbf the 'soldiers in the streets' ad is usually regarded as a huge failure, isn't it?

except that "ad" was never released as a TV ad... and only appeared on the Liberal web site for a short time... until Martin got wind of it and ordered it removed. The rest is nothing more than those attempting to leverage a mistake that has been over-played to no end.

except that "ad" was never released as a TV ad... and only appeared on the Liberal web site for a short time... until Martin got wind of it and ordered it removed. The rest is nothing more than those attempting to leverage a mistake that has been over-played to no end.

Not watching much TV, I didn't know that it was never released.

Some people might be ashamed to admit to being selfish and greedy. They hide their selfishness behind it being "good for the economy" some other such claptrap. Not you, though - you own it.

Why would I not? If 70% of what these politicians promised was real...hell, 50%...then maybe I would vote based on them. But they lie. Each and every one of them. They always seem to find "a reason" why they are forced to recant. So why would I vote for someone who promises me the sky and delivers the ground I'm standing on? I don't believe in Tinkerbell anymore either.

I could care less what someone thinks of me when I vote based on my own well being. I'm pretty sure that in the end, most people do. There's absolutely no chance I'll ever be moved to feel bad about my decision.

Haven't we seen the Conservatives gain as well b/c of the NDP?

For some reason, I doubt it. Although it's just a numbers gain, I find it hard to believe that an NDP supporter moved over to the Conservatives. Possibly an NDP went to the Liberals and a Liberal moved to the Conservatives at the same time. That's my theory anyway.

For some reason, I doubt it. Although it's just a numbers gain, I find it hard to believe that an NDP supporter moved over to the Conservatives. Possibly an NDP went to the Liberals and a Liberal moved to the Conservatives at the same time. That's my theory anyway.

But the NDP were campaigning on fiscal responsibility. I'm not entirely sure I agree with you there. I can't see a Liberal voter jump onto the Conservative boat. That would seem crazy to me.

Thoughts?

Perhaps part of the problem here is that we keep talking about "NDP supporters", "Liberal supporters" and "Conservative supporters". The larger share of voters don't have strict affiliations like that. They are not card carrying members of any party, and while they may have certain ideological leanings, in general they adhere to no particular political philosophy and most certainly have no particular loyalty to any party. Frankly, I think the boundaries between parties are more a concern for partisans a political hacks like ourselves than for Joe and Mary Voter.

Look at Quebec. In one instant the NDP are dominant, in the next it's a split vote. They're not moving about based on some sort of ideological rationale, their doing it based on what they think is most likely going to be the best way to have influence in the next Parliament.

The party bases are very small. I doubt even the hard core base of the Tories is much more than 25%, beyond that are people who will, seven times out of eight vote Tory. The same applies to the Liberals, and I think the firm NDP base is probably well below 20%, which puts them in the worst position.

But the NDP were campaigning on fiscal responsibility. I'm not entirely sure I agree with you there. I can't see a Liberal voter jump onto the Conservative boat.

I doubt that any "true" conservatives were buying into the NDP balanced budget bs. The money has to come from somewhere and that can only mean higher taxes. Did Tom promise not to raise those?

Now a blue liberal might take a look at Justin's deficit promise and think "no damn way" and move to the CPC. I think we're talking about shifts by one degree here. NDP -> Liberal -> CPC, not NDP -> CPC.

Perhaps part of the problem here is that we keep talking about "NDP supporters", "Liberal supporters" and "Conservative supporters". The larger share of voters don't have strict affiliations like that. They are not card carrying members of any party, and while they may have certain ideological leanings, in general they adhere to no particular political philosophy and most certainly have no particular loyalty to any party. Frankly, I think the boundaries between parties are more a concern for partisans a political hacks like ourselves than for Joe and Mary Voter.

Agree 100%

Look at Quebec. In one instant the NDP are dominant, in the next it's a split vote. They're not moving about based on some sort of ideological rationale, their doing it based on what they think is most likely going to be the best way to have influence in the next Parliament.

They're voting for whatever is in their best interest. Exactly the same way I am. And Kwebek voters are a fickle bunch.

The party bases are very small. I doubt even the hard core base of the Tories is much more than 25%, beyond that are people who will, seven times out of eight vote Tory. The same applies to the Liberals, and I think the firm NDP base is probably well below 20%, which puts them in the worst position.

Agreed except I think the CPC base is much higher. We don't have any other place to go. The NDP and Liberal voters can change sides without REALLY changing sides on a whim.

Yeah, who cares about science, social-services, the environment, our role in the global community... as long as you're not taxed on your bribe.

As a parent, Don't you think my kids Are higher priority then, science, social-services, the environment and our role in a global community?

Without kids Canada will not even exist in 40 years.

I doubt that any "true" conservatives were buying into the NDP balanced budget bs. The money has to come from somewhere and that can only mean higher taxes. Did Tom promise not to raise those?

Now a blue liberal might take a look at Justin's deficit promise and think "no damn way" and move to the CPC. I think we're talking about shifts by one degree here. NDP -> Liberal -> CPC, not NDP -> CPC.

The issue is that Trudeau didn't promise anything about limiting raising taxes tho.