One of the reasons I won't be voting for Harper: Economic record

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You actually think I make the budget numbers?

The budget was never supposed to be a deficit. even by the fiscal update, it was still set to be a small surplus. Only the subsequent massive and immediate stimulus spending created a $5.8B deficit.

The budget was never supposed to be a deficit. even by the fiscal update, it was still set to be a small surplus. Only the subsequent massive and immediate stimulus spending created a $5.8B deficit.

I would say the biggest contributor to the downfall was the gst reduction. In any case, we have had an endless string of deficits since then from Harper the "economist".

I would say the biggest contributor to the downfall was the gst reduction.

What you would say doesn't really matter to me.

I remember Robert Fife saying something on CTV in early 2008 - Lloyd, this government has so much money, they don't even know what to do with all of it. No one - not the government, not economists, and not the media, saw what was coming. Without the GST reduction, that would have been $14B more out of the pockets of Canadians during a recession.

In any case, we have had an endless string of deficits since then from Harper the "economist".

And the provinces and other similar countries around the world have done so much better. Canada is near the top in terms of recession and post recession fiscal management.

What you would say doesn't really matter to me.

I remember Robert Fife saying something on CTV in early 2008 - Lloyd, this government has so much money, they don't even know what to do with all of it. No one - not the government, not economists, and not the media, saw what was coming. Without the GST reduction, that would have been $14B more out of the pockets of Canadians during a recession.

And the provinces and other similar countries around the world have done so much better. Canada is near the top in terms of recession and post recession fiscal management.

What made Harper's numbers less bad when the recession came along was the banking regulations put in place by previous Liberal governments who actually knew enough about economics to create surpluses.

What made Harper's numbers less bad when the recession came along was the banking regulations put in place by previous Liberal governments who actually knew enough about economics to create surpluses.

The previous Liberal government did an excellent job. They cut taxes, they cut spending, and they made the hard choices that needed to be made. They were a lot like fiscal conservatives, something you don't seem to like when the wrong party label is applied.

It's also worth noting that the Liberals benefitted from global boom times, something the Conservatives haven't had the luxury of.

Keep revising history though. I'm sure someone will believe you.

Took the time to follow a bit of the campaign. Nice to see Harper out and answering questions. He really does not do that badly and I wonder why he does not do it more often. Also watched some of the TV coverage with "representatives" of each party commentating.

No Flaherty, no Baird, no Moore, no Glover, no MacKay, no Rajotte, no O'Connor, no Paradis, no Ablonczy, no ... These used to be the folks on TV touting the party line and defending fearless leaders statements. I feel sorry for Harper, it looks like he is on his own for the first time in a long time.

The previous Liberal government did an excellent job. They cut taxes, they cut spending, and they made the hard choices that needed to be made. They were a lot like fiscal conservatives, something you don't seem to like when the wrong party label is applied.

It's also worth noting that the Liberals benefitted from global boom times, something the Conservatives haven't had the luxury of.

Keep revising history though. I'm sure someone will believe you.

Not really, they had a better idea of what taxes and spending to cut. Cutting something stable like gst that does basically nothing to stimulate anything is not smart, and the national debt bears that out.

Not really, they had a better idea of what taxes and spending to cut. Cutting something stable like gst that does basically nothing to stimulate anything is not smart, and the national debt bears that out.

National debt in every western country bears out the reality of what we've just gone through as a global community.

He could have been. As I say, he was somewhat saved by banking regs. the former LPC put in place, or we would likely be in worse shape.

You're unable to give any credit, even when it's due. It's hard to take you seriously as a result.

You're unable to give any credit, even when it's due. It's hard to take you seriously as a result.

As for banking regs, i remember flaherty making a big deal to tell people in canada not to over leverage themselves.

http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com//personal-finance/mortgages-real-estate/ottawa-cuts-mortgage-amortizations-to-25-years

Edited by blueblood

You and I will criticize the Tories when we think they deserve it. You won't find the left with that much intellectual honesty. They can't criticize their own parties.

If you want to be taken seriously, show me where it's due.

This is sort of like those WTC truthers demanding we show them where they're wrong. No matter who says whatever and no matter how much evidence, they will simply believe what they choose to believe.

This is sort of like those WTC truthers demanding we show them where they're wrong. No matter who says whatever and no matter how much evidence, they will simply believe what they choose to believe.

You may be a truther, (wouldn't surprise me) but with regard to what I'm referring to, we know because we have the receipts.

That's not any more true this time. We entered deficit after the rejection of the fiscal update by the opposition parties. That forced the government into an immediate large stimulus scheme. That's where the 2008 - 2009 deficit came from.

And we started to recover before the CPC got its majority and steered the ship into an iceberg.