Toronto Olympic Bid

So the Pan Am games are done.

And in a shock to absolutely no one, they are seen as a dry run for an Olympics bid.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-2024-olympic-bid-6th-attempt-to-host-olympics-could-be-a-challenge-1.3168001

The president of the Canadian Olympic Committee confirmed on Saturday that the office would back a Toronto bid for the 2024 Olympics, checking off one bullet point in a long list of requirements needed to secure the rights to the Games.

While Marcel Aubut said to CBC News that he will "absolutely lead and advocate with the whole power of my office that Toronto becomes the host city for 2024 Olympic Games," the decision is up to a number of different stakeholders who so far remain undecided, including Toronto Mayor John Tory.

Lots of infrastructure was built because of these Pan Am games. I can only assume that would continue for a 2024 Olympic bid. Perhaps the Gardiner construction and new Subway lines.

Most of the venues already exist. Except, of course, for a stadium that can sit more than 55,000 people and host a Track and Field event.

Apparently officials only have until September to decide. Seems that this was the plan all along assuming the Pan Am games weren't a complete failure.

Edited by Boges

The Olympics are a terrible idea. No Olympics, AFAIK, has ever made money. It's a money pit.

Can someone tell me why we can't go ahead and build infrastructure that is already necessary without incurring the added and unnecessary costs associated with these white elephant events?

I'm totally against holding the Olympic for many reasons, first the cost of them, it would be into the billions. Greece held the 2004 and just look at the problems the country is having. Secondly, there too many cheaters, even the Pam Am games had dopers. Toronto, Ontario and the feds would have to come up with the money and Ontario is in sad shape, the feds aren't much better and I'm not sure about Toronto.

Mulcair is warming up to the idea.

Myself, I'm dead against it!

But watch, it's going to happen! Or at least the push for it from TO and other parts of Canada.

Money could be better spent on infrastructure without the waste of the games.

WWWTT

Mulcair is warming up to the idea.

Myself, I'm dead against it!

But watch, it's going to happen! Or at least the push for it from TO and other parts of Canada.

Money could be better spent on infrastructure without the waste of the games.

WWWTT

Boston is more serious than us.....and half of them reject it.

The only reason to have the Olympics in Toronto is pure ego.

The Pan Am games went better than expected (traffic still sucked and used as a reason to add toll lanes) but we will hear all about the over budget spending and salary bumps over the next couple months

The Olympics are a terrible idea. No Olympics, AFAIK, has ever made money. It's a money pit.Can someone tell me why we can't go ahead and build infrastructure that is already necessary without incurring the added and unnecessary costs associated with these white elephant events?

Salt Lake City, thanks to Mitt Romney.

At one time the Olympics were something special with athletes from all around the globe meeting together for their first time. To-day, we have world championships of all major sports annually, athletes know each other and the professionals certainly know each other. All athletes are getting paid to some degree with bonuses based on results. The Whoopla is being created artificially by media and corporate sponsors. I have attended a few Olympics personally and the more recent have been a disappointment.

It is supposed to be a celebration of sport which has evolved into "my country is better than your country" charade and that is not even counting the extortion, bribes and politicization that the games entail.

I do not understand why these days any city would apply to host the games. It is a huge financial burden and a growing target for terrorist action. Give the games back to Greece permanently - they are the only ones who may benefit from them if sponsors pick up all the tabs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hosting an Olympics is a huge cost, just look at Greece now, so why not have countries that do host keep hosting them and keep their Olympic structure for that purpose?? So each country that bids keep the winter or summer structures as an Olympic area only or with so much cheating and doping going on, what not just forget it!

• 4 weeks later...

I believe that the Olympic organization has priced itself out of the market. At one time nations were lining up for the "privilege" but now the $60 price (just for the bid) has begun its demise. The globe is getting smaller so the uniqueness of athletes getting together in one place is gone.

Unless there is a review of the whole concept we may be seeing the beginning of the end of the Olympic movement.

• 9 months later...

Here's my advice: never host the Olympics. I'm told that it turns your whole city into a police state, the traffic gets screwed up, there are tourists from all over from countries whose standards of behavior might not meet your own, and, see point one, the city turns into a police state. You're better off letting someone else host it. ("My" advice comes from people who have lived somewhere that hosted the Olympics or some such other event.)