Gregory Elliott's Twitter Harassment Trial

It's hard to find good coverage of this issue but it seems like it might have major repercussions:
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-ruling-in-twitter-harassment-trial-could-have-enormous-fallout-for-free-speech

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/01/09/gregory_alan_elliott_frustrations_boil_over_in_twitter_harassment_trial.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/christie-blatchford-the-twitter-trial-of-gregory-elliott-is-becoming-much-like-twitter-itself-shrill-and-uber-sensitive

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/448441/alleged-harassment-over-twitter-leads-to-criminal-charges-for-toronto-man/

Depending on the source, Elliott is either being targeted and silenced for holding views that are in conflict with those of young feminist activists or he was actually stalking and sexually harassing young women online. Either way, this could be the first case of someone going to court for social media harassment.

What I find curious is that the accusation of sexual harassment only seems to appear in the Metro version of the story. Based on what the Post and the Star report, it seems like Elliott's comments were relatively mild and he is in fact being targeted here.

Unfortunately, it seems like most of the coverage of this story is coming from sources that I am reluctant to trust, such as MRA groups. Anyone have info or thoughts on this?

Edited: added link to Christie Blatchford's piece from last week

Edited by Evening Star

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another POV on this story. This suggests he may have been following her in real life as well.

FTR, I watched this whole thing unfold over Twitter and it was pretty clear that this guy has some real issues/is a creep. I don't think this would have gone this far unless the Crown really felt a line had been crossed and there was a good chance of a conviction.

I suggest that "relatively mild" or "strongly harassing" are relative terms - relative to one's attitude towards what is considered as "appropriate" communications.

Yes, of course, but that was my (subjective) perception based on what was quoted in the articles. The quotes in the Post and Star articles did not seem that much harsher than what one can find in many online fora such as this one. I did not see any suggestion of sexual harassment, which the Metro article does mention, and which seems like a more serious charge. What is your opinion?

xpost

Edited by Evening Star

I see now that my links are old, from 2012-2014. (Edited: I have added a more recent Post link.) I only found out about the story in the last day or two via Facebook links to sources I did not trust and then searched for MSM reports.

Edited by Evening Star

Here's another POV on this story. This suggests he may have been following her in real life as well.

FTR, I watched this whole thing unfold over Twitter and it was pretty clear that this guy has some real issues/is a creep. I don't think this would have gone this far unless the Crown really felt a line had been crossed and there was a good chance of a conviction.

ah yes... the/a view from the 'other side'... whether the NP's Ms. Blatchford chooses to speak to it, or not.

Take that with an even bigger grain of salt than the MSM pieces -- the author is a personal friend of the complainant.

which is fully-disclosed by the author herself. As it stands, the 2 plantiffs can't speak on the case (or on NP's Blatchford writings) until the verdict is delivered. What I read from the, as you say, "personal friend", is quite overt "stalkerish" behaviour... is she describing accurately? I certainly don't know; however, what I do know from reading Batchford's articles is that I'm reading her opinion... one that, to me, seems quite one-sided.

So I decided to look into this a little further because I find it quite unbelievable. This woman is a Loon! If you read the transcripts of the court procedings that becomes quite apparent. Just her statement alone that Elliot is entitled to defend himself against the world if he wishes, just not her is telling. Then when you see how she and her friends attacked him, accusing him of being a Paedophile, accusing his four sons of being rapists and on and on. Well it would appear that they were more harassing and stalkerish than him. If you take the time to read the relevant tweats you'll find nothing threatening about them, some are childish, yes, but not threatening.

Interesting also that one of the three key women involved also works for TPS and all three are Radical Femenists. This should never even have gone to court in the first place. Considering all they had to do was put him on ignore I think prosecution will have an impossible task in making their case. Also the fact that the case Judge recieved a letter implying conspiracy and collusion against this guy is pretty damning. So damning that, as I understand it, the RCMP are now investigating several people involved in the prosecution.

All the data is out there, it just takes several hours of searching and reading to find it.

Almost forgot, the defence's final submission to the court is also available to read. After reading it I simply can't see how he can be found guilty. I will say though that if not guilty the three primary women involved in this case should be charged with Criminal Mischief.

I don't think this would have gone this far unless the Crown really felt a line had been crossed and there was a good chance of a conviction.

That used to be the case, but it is equally possible that the crown was bullied into proceeding by a group of activists that threatened to plaster twitter with howls of outrage over "rape culture" in the prosecutor's office. Blatchford is also a reasonably reliable source so I find it hard to believe she would so grossly misrepresent the facts of the case. Edited by TimG

Take that with an even bigger grain of salt than the MSM pieces -- the author is a personal friend of the complainant.

So? Do you have specific complaint about the facts presented or is this just a lazy drive-by?

That used to be the case, but it is equally possible that the crown was bullied into proceeding by a group of activists that threatened to plaster twitter with howls of outrage over "rape culture" in the prosecutor's office. Blatchford is also a reasonably reliable source so I find it hard to believe she would so grossly misrepresent the facts of the case.

LOOOOOOLLLLLLLL

I have been accused of harassment by a woman because her dog bit me unprovoked and I warned other dog-walkers in her dog park about it. I think I've even been accused of it on this board by particularly victimized posters who can't stand it when people disagree with their arguments.

If the guy was really stalking them, then he should pay for it and the court will sort that out. I would doubt that the Crown is at the mercy of the twitterverse in this case. But people these days are really quick to use buzzwords like "stalking" and "harassment." There's a lot of power to be had in the false accusation.

As a rule no one should ever put any store in the report of someone who feels the need to spell "loon" as "Loon" and "radical feminist" as "Radical Femenist" . Really, the people who obsess about "radical feminists" are bad enough.

Ah Remiel, do you have anything of substance to say? Or are you just going to criticize a couple of minor errors made in haste very late at night? Nope...thought not, goodbye. If in fact you do spend the time to do some research, perhaps read the alleged offensive tweats themselves then come back and attempt to add something of substance to the discussion. perhaps you might want to comment on the fact that this case has now evolved to include an investigation of the key players in the prosecutions side of things.

...If you read the transcripts of the court procedings that becomes quite apparent. Just her statement alone that Elliot is entitled to defend himself against the world if he wishes, just not her is telling. Then when you see how she and her friends attacked him, accusing him of being a Paedophile, accusing his four sons of being rapists and on and on. Well it would appear that they were more harassing and stalkerish than him. If you take the time to read the relevant tweats you'll find nothing threatening about them, some are childish, yes, but not threatening.

Interesting also that one of the three key women involved also works for TPS and all three are Radical Femenists. This should never even have gone to court in the first place. Considering all they had to do was put him on ignore I think prosecution will have an impossible task in making their case. Also the fact that the case Judge recieved a letter implying conspiracy and collusion against this guy is pretty damning. So damning that, as I understand it, the RCMP are now investigating several people involved in the prosecution.

All the data is out there, it just takes several hours of searching and reading to find it.

Almost forgot, the defence's final submission to the court is also available to read. After reading it I simply can't see how he can be found guilty. I will say though that if not guilty the three primary women involved in this case should be charged with Criminal Mischief.

Where did you find these?

Ah Remiel, do you have anything of substance to say? Or are you just going to criticize a couple of minor errors made in haste very late at night? Nope...thought not, goodbye. If in fact you do spend the time to do some research, perhaps read the alleged offensive tweats themselves then come back and attempt to add something of substance to the discussion. perhaps you might want to comment on the fact that this case has now evolved to include an investigation of the key players in the prosecutions side of things.

Link or GTFO.

Loon may have been minor, but Radical Femenist is not. Capitalizing like that, and especially misspelling to throw in a reference to FEMEN, is just a way to scream "BOOGEYMAN!" Feminism Derangement Syndrome, anyone?

Wow! You really are way way out in left field aren't you. I knew that most of what you post is irrelevant and non germain but this insistence of yours really just does emphasize that fact even more. So let me repeat for you, very late at night, around 3 am to be more precise. Tired and in a hurry to get to bed. A couple of minor mistakes.

Anyway, do you have anything of value to add to the discusion, or do you simply wish to continue with your childish and inaccurate suppositions?