Where have you travelled (going to travel) open thread

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then Rome/Malta it is! 

Malta is a short flight and only about $200 round trip from Rome so why not add it on as an extra couple of days or instead of Venice? 

Ok, I have not been yet but my research indicates that it should be sort of like Rhodos on Rhodes in Greece which is awesome. 

You are already in that part of the world so why not take advantage? 

4 hours ago, Smallc said:

How does everyone feel about Rome and Venice (3 days in each) in May?  I'm thinking about that right now.  I had to pick something this year, lol.

Sounds amazing!   Don't wear revealing shorts to the Vatican.... my friend did and they didn't let her in.....  and they weren't even that bad....  haha

Didn't realize they were that conservative. 

In Cambodia I am expecting to be able to wear shorts (to my knees) and open toed birks to go through various temples at Angkor Wat. 

But I won't be able to hold hands with the wife nor kiss her in public so there is a price to pay....

Man I hate conservatism... which is why I travel, so I can see what a crock of poop it is. 

What a weird phobia. 

It's a big city. Most likely it smells bad, has bad traffic, and is over populated. 

You could keep it safe and do what Anthony Bourdian did: http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/the-layover/travel-guides/48-hours-in-hong-kong-travel-guide

Or show her his No Reservations episode: https://vimeo.com/73101635 

Getting lost is one fear I could understand in HK. 

So grab some of the hotel business cards and be willing to use cabs to get back to the hotel. A few bucks but worth it. 

As for food: thats what the dukoral is for.  I take it every year now. It's my "pond water" to prevent cholera and intestinal diseases. 

But whatever, I'm off to Vietnam/Cambodia next week and will be bringing 21 days of anti-malaria pills and some antibiotics in case of the runs.  

For some reason I enjoy spending hundreds of dollars on visas and medicines each year for my vacation. 

She'd be fine, and it wouldn't near break me, but I have a few things to pay for in the next month that make it so I shouldn't.  I'm sure something will come up.

Side note - every major city in the world is booking up towards the end of may.  I don't really understand it, as they don't usually book much this far ahead.

Definitely, since we're staying in a tiny 10 room guest house (something between a hostel and a hotel).  It worked out to 940 per person - less than the flight on it's own.  I spent $183 pp to cut off an overnight stop at NRT and shorten the total travel time by 13 hours (that was well worth it, IMO) leaving only one stop of just under 3 hours in ORD.  I could have spent another $164 pp to get rid of the stop in SFO and shorten the travel time by 2 hours on the way back, but I didn't find two hours to be worth it.  The return flight has ample time (almost 5 hours) to clear customs and change terminals in SFO and an ample 2 hours in DEN to connect to WPG.  I would have preferred Air Canada through Vancouver to shorten the trip even more, but that was another $400.  The sale United was having is what made this all possible.  The sale that Expedia was having even made it more so.  I saved $800 in total costs. I didn't foresee another opportunity like that any time soon.

Edited by Smallc

1 hour ago, Smallc said:

Definitely, since we're staying in a tiny 10 room guest house (something between a hostel and a hotel).  It worked out to 940 per person - less than the flight on it's own.  I spent $183 pp to cut off an overnight stop at NRT and shorten the total travel time by 13 hours (that was well worth it, IMO) leaving only one stop of just under 3 hours in ORD.  I could have spent another $164 pp to get rid of the stop in SFO and shorten the travel time by 2 hours on the way back, but I didn't find two hours to be worth it.  The return flight has ample time (almost 5 hours) to clear customs and change terminals in SFO and an ample 2 hours in DEN to connect to WPG.  I would have preferred Air Canada through Vancouver to shorten the trip even more, but that was another $400.  The sale United was having is what made this all possible.  The sale that Expedia was having even made it more so.  I saved $800 in total costs. I didn't foresee another opportunity like that any time soon.

Yeah, you have to jump on deals like that when you get them. I've done the "found an unbelievable price, booked it, then tried to get the time off" game a few times. Never regretted it. 

On September 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM, -TSS- said:

Freedom will spoil Cuba. Much to the disappointment of 50's cars fanatics the Cunans may even start having modern cars on their roads.

I missed this when you first posted it.

This is a common misconception. There are LOTS of modern cars in Cuba. American 1950's autos are a small minority of the traffic on the road.  Russian and Chinese vehicles outnumber them by far.

A few more sleeps before the long flight to Hong Kong and then Saigon/Ho Chi Min.  Then the river cruise begins.

We finish in Siem Reap and will stay there for a couple of days for the land tour to arrive (so we will miss Battambang).

IMG_0298.PNG

IMG_0297.PNG