AFN asks Ottawa to declare all aboriginal languages official

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not understand how you can be born Canadian and be so out of the loop with how things work around here. I feel like I am being lead towards the conclusion that you are not what you say you are.

Peut-être parce que je ne connais pas les langues officielles seulement, mais aussi deux langues officieuses. Comme résultat, j'ai accès à des communautés officieuses auquelles plusieurs francophones et anglophones sont aveugles.

I took french classes for 12 years in grade school and myself nor anyone else who took them with me became fluent in french because of it. Epic waste of time and resources.

So? You had classes. That's good enough. English is unnecessary. We could just stop teaching it altogether. Every child into immersion regardless of their language at home.

They lost......It is what the french do.

We pat their heads and say "Now now we will get you a bigger bottle" and send them off to their room for a calm down.

Business is in English, Our largest trading partner and neighbor speaks English. Canada was part of the British Empire that speaks.....that's right English.

Common sense would dictate that if by some miracle a little rational thought happened we would just dump this bilingual waste of time and let nature take its course.

Ever read the Durham Report? The French may have lost, but they certainly didn't lose.

Ever read the Durham Report? The French may have lost, but they certainly didn't lose.

Even if they had list, your point would be moot. A human right is universal and should not be conferred only on victors.

That said we also need to distinguish between rights and privileges.

Edited by Second-class Canadian

A member of the professional shit disturber class. There have been a number of that kind on here I think: people who are paid to troll and post disinformation, often for the benefit of foreign nations. Russia is known to have entire outfits dedicated to this sort of thing, and it does not seem far fetched to suggest China could do it too. Not really that different from how they have watered down the Tibetan majority in Tibet. Just a different medium.

Peut-être parce que je ne connais pas les langues officielles seulement, mais aussi deux langues officieuses. Comme résultat, j'ai accès à des communautés officieuses auquelles plusieurs francophones et anglophones sont aveugles.

From my experiences working for a multinational company and travelling to other countries, that the Canadians that are bilingual can pickup terms and phrases from other languages far quicker than those of us who only speak English.

Not sure if it is confidence or the brain trained to learn multiple languages, but it is why my kids go to French school. Not only to learn french, but to be able to learn other languages.

From my experiences working for a multinational company and travelling to other countries, that the Canadians that are bilingual can pickup terms and phrases from other languages far quicker than those of us who only speak English.

Not sure if it is confidence or the brain trained to learn multiple languages, but it is why my kids go to French school. Not only to learn french, but to be able to learn other languages.

As far as I'm concerned, second language instruction ought to be compulsory, but it should leave it up to the school to decide what second language to teach and to the student to choose the one in which he wants to be tested.

In faxt, ideally Canada's official language would be a common second language, thus making all Canadians bilingual.

We need a common language which is used for laws and political debate. Having 2 creates headaches but it is manageable. Translating every law into 60 or so dead and dying aboriginal dialects is an idea that is too stupid to even bother discussing. It just shows how aboriginal leadership in this country is completely disconnected from reality.

Actually all it really shows is how far native leaders have to go to drive their point home. I doubt if a shovel upside the head of most Canadians would be any less subtle.

Actually all it really shows is how far native leaders have to go to drive their point home.

What point? That they are looking for yet more ways to suck money from the tax payer? If they want their languages to survive they need to pay for them. Edited by TimG

The FN were not some homogenous group who all got along when the Europeans came here. They were all killing each other. Europeans ended all that. Just say thank you.

Uh huh. So if Europeans were so good at stopping killing each other, how do you explain all those wars (WW!, WW2, Bosnia...I could go on and on) were they kept killing each other?

The OP article:

So about 60 languages required on all food packaging in Canada? Stupid idea. The whole idea of aboriginal official languages, while in a perfect world would be fair, is completely impractical and will never happen.

Yeaaaaaah let's have 5 foot wide cereal boxes and 300 litre jugs of milk to fit all of those native languages on.

This is the stupidest thing I've heard yet from our native friends, which is saying a lot.

Good grief. WTF.

-k

Cereal boxes is hardly the point, Cheney. Translating our laws, as well as our future laws, into another official language is a task that would cost countless billions of dollars. Multiply that by 60-odd new official languages and the cost would be 60 countless billions. Add to that the requirement of providing government services in official languages. It's incalculably expensive and absurdly impractical.

Surely their languages can be preserved without going to the astronomical expense of providing laws and government services in 60 obscure native languages.

-k

Cereal boxes is hardly the point, Cheney. Translating our laws, as well as our future laws, into another official language is a task that would cost countless billions of dollars.

That's what I said....stop whining...it would not cost "billions of dollars".

The translation requirement (if any) comes from the majority maroons, not FNs.

My modest 'merkin county government manages to support 32 languages without much fuss.

While official bilingualism blocks them to access to the jobs they need to pay those taxes?

Only if you want to be a manager in federal civil service. Language requirements for private sector jobs are based entirely on business need (i.e. speaking Mandarin is a job requirement for many service sector positions in Richmond, BC). Edited by TimG