What are the MLW rules on profanity?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to know about this profanity, with the context being consistency in applying the rules to posters.

If we catch it BEFORE somebody responds to it, we usually nix it right away.

If we catch it AFTER somebody responds to it, what we do depends:

- if the response ignores the profanity and continues addressing the topic in a civil manner, we do nothing;

- if the response adds fuel to the profanity and does not address the topic, we nix both the response and the offending post.

I generally receive warning points when I am trying to be funny at the expense of others. My first impulse is almost always anger, because the other side surely deserves the witty scorn. However, afterwards I usually realize that if I spent a few minutes considering the situation I could have made a civil and much wittier rebuttal. Don't look back in anger....at least not today.

I wish I got warnings... My posts would just be deleted....

Not sure what the rules are here, and I'm finding that the mods make it up as they so along. Yesterday I had a post in an update deleted where I jokingly claimed harassment and wondered where the damn mods are when you need one. I think when you've got 2 part time mods, both with PC agendas, things are going to be inconsistant. Just more more context, i've also been warned for calling a poster toots. Make of it what you will.

Was that in my update? If it was, I deleted it, not the mods.

Well, that explains a lot. So why did you leave up my comment on pine beetles? I notice you are very selective in what you don't delete. Duly noted.

Honestly, I don't even remember... I had a few drinks... I'm a mean drunk...

Sharkman, honestly we are too busy with these things to care about the ideology espoused in the posts. I honestly can't say that I know the politics of many members here, except for a handful of old timers.

I don't know what you're talking about. My report was about profanity. I see you or whomever has left it up. Whatever.

Sure, you can do that but I encourage you to second guess your choice to use profanity. Profanity begets profanity. Do you really need it? Rarely does it add clarity to an expression.

Are you sure about that?

For a period of time, I was against using profanity. In particular the word "f*ck".

But in learning Mandarin Chinese, my knowledge of communications changed, changing my perspective.

And then I came across this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJWcwTYgF8M

Even though this clip is a comedy routine revolving around the complex diversity of the word f*ck, do not belittle the work this person has done in compiling and researching the articulate applications that the word f*ck has within the English language.

In fact, in my opinion, the word f*ck is probably the most defining important words in the English language!

Understanding and familiarizing most if not all of the applications of the word f*ck is a must in understanding fluent English and in comprehension of languages.

To just dismiss this word as foul language that must be banned in my opinion is an act of ignorance and proof of ones limited ability to effectively communicate.

WWWTT

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

In fact, in my opinion, the word f*ck is probably the most defining important words in the English language!

LOL!

MH edited the F word. Man that's something funny or stupid?

Can someone explain to me what replacing the letter U with * will do?????

Will we not understand the word now? Will it be a nice word now? Is this now an acceptable word?

:lol:

You know what, if anyone here has written a comment that they thought was silly or kind of corny, guess what, editing the F word when it's used in an non aggressive nature wins the award hands down! So don't feel bad. The moderators here on this site have proven to be the most immature asexual people I have ever encountered.

WWWTT

Personally, I have no problem with the standards and process of moderating on this board - and I have been given 4 warnings. When you want to play baseball you play by the rules of those who own the bats, gloves, bases and balls. Don't like those rules, find another game - and I say that respectfully because I have done that often in the past with other boards.

Personally, I have no problem with the standards and process of moderating on this board - and I have been given 4 warnings. When you want to play baseball you play by the rules of those who own the bats, gloves, bases and balls. Don't like those rules, find another game - and I say that respectfully because I have done that often in the past with other boards.

Ya no kidding. Next time I need advise on something obvious, I'll know who to ask now. But I probably won't have to because you will provide me with the obvious long before I make any request.

I've red flagged this site before many times. And I will again.

You seem to be under the impression that blindly following rules, yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir is the way to go. Not me bro. Not on this site anyways.

WWWTT

To WWWTT - I do not blindly follow rules, yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir. I exercise my freedom of choice. If I do not like what is offered for free then I reject it and move on. There are thousands of opinion boards available on the net, each with its own parameters. If you cannot find one which satisfies your conditions then start your own and see how many others agree and join you.

That, I assume, is also obvious to someone who is unhappy with the parameters of this site. The last I saw, participation is voluntary and each participant is given the freedom and encouragement of airing their perception of the rules and parameters of this site. Success of a board depends on the number of people who continue to participate. After making suggestions that are not implemented, the ultimate method of showing displeasure is to leave this site. Have you tried that option?

Edited by Big Guy

When you want to play baseball you play by the rules of those who own the bats, gloves, bases and balls. Don't like those rules, find another game

I do not blindly follow rules, yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir.

Ya OK if you say so bro? But it looks like you contradict yourself.

This is a classic moderator head spin tactic. Or you can call it a shell game, moving the goal posts, strawman, etc etc. You pick which best suits!

Ok then, I've entertained your side track debate for long enough now.

What I found bizarre in the first place was the letter U in the F word getting replaced with a *. I was analyzing the many uses of the word that I recently (over past couple years) found interesting/complex and was trying to debunk the boogeyman that surrounds it.

MH did this even though I was not using the word to insult anyone but in an study/observation of the word. And seeing this made me laugh, because it accomplishes nothing. But it at least, the futile attempt looked so silly that I found it humorous.

If you don't have anything to add then don't bother responding to my comment because that's just thread drift. Which is also against the rules, but for some reason, you're OK with that one now hey ;)

WWWTT

How does one do this?

Don't comment on this site for a period of time.

You can also go back and erase comments that you made and threads that you started.

See the Rob Ford thread as an example.

We're not moderators, but we do control our own content.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Don't comment on this site for a period of time.

You can also go back and erase comments that you made and threads that you started.

See the Rob Ford thread as an example.

We're not moderators, but we do control our own content.

WWWTT

haha

No one notices when you do this... in fact, it improves the forum.

Not just 7 posters.... everyone!

Ok everyone then. Does that make you feel better?

Are we finished now? Or better yet, are you finished IhateWWWTTsplaining?

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Ya no kidding. Next time I need advise on something obvious, I'll know who to ask now. But I probably won't have to because you will provide me with the obvious long before I make any request.

You seem to be under the impression that blindly following rules, yes sir no sir 3 bags full sir is the way to go. Not me bro. Not on this site anyways.

WWWTT

Does red flagged mean that when you get pissed off because of responses to your posts, that you leave for a while, then come back?

• 2 weeks later...

WWWTT

Is there a place I can red flag you???

Your on a higher level of silly.

Is there a place I can red flag you???

Your on a higher level of silly.

Yes you can put me on your ignore list. Or something like that.

I personally do not have anyone on it.

But this stuff has nothing to do with profanity so its all thread drift and that's against the rules.

WWWTT

Yes you can put me on your ignore list. Or something like that.

I personally do not have anyone on it.

But this stuff has nothing to do with profanity so its all thread drift and that's against the rules.

WWWTT

It's against the rules, But there is no consequence, unless a moderator feels the need to enforce it.

Just like J walking.

Surely you must understand the difference ???

Edited by Freddy