What are the MLW rules on profanity?

I'll believe whatever the f*** I want.

Edited by Michael Hardner, Today, 10:57 AM.

profanity

Michael, wasn't sure, is that a rule, "no profanity" on MLW? I didn't read it in the rules. If we do use profanity, should we/can we "bleep it out" like above?

It's an interesting balance this board tries to maintain, trying to keep this a place of scholarly, civil discussion while also keeping a high amount of free speech.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was, I think, such a rule at one time. I don't see it there now.

I used to delete any word that couldn't be heard on prime time TV, and now I only do it for a few words, such as the f-bomb.

I just don't think it's necessary to use it, and it can lead arguments down into an emotional quagmire, but Charles can let me/us know what it should be.

Thanks for the feedback MG.

The Beachcombers didn't have any swearing as far as I remember. Although Relic looked like he was holding back.

I don't know about the new shows. I'm old.

South Park had an episode where they set the record for the amount of times sh-- is said in a single show a couple years back.

Primetime TV holds little back these days.

Network TV used to allow "f*****" but I don't think it does anymore. I also think they used to bleep "b*****" and "a**"" but now you can get away with it.

I doubt PBS still plays the Fawlty Towers where the Major goes on about "n******".

Edited by BubberMiley

Imagine watching Deadwood on Network TV. I once watched Glengarry Glen Ross on Network TV. It was hilarious.

Al Pacino calling Kevin Spacey a "goof", while his lips said something completely different.

Edited by bcsapper

The Beachcombers didn't have any swearing as far as I remember. Although Relic looked like he was holding back.

I don't know about the new shows. I'm old.

Doesn't the CRTC or broadcasting association have such a list defined ? The U.S. FCC and National Association of Broadcasters had a well defined list of "Seven Words" that could not be used on television, made famous by George Carlin over 40 years ago. That standard has since gone by the wayside.

Since this is Canada (cough cough), I would presume that a different protocol is followed (after all, can't be like those 'merkins).

Since this is Canada (cough cough), I would presume that a different protocol is followed (after all, can't be like those 'merkins).

Wrong. This is MLW and the protocol is coughed out by mod staff.

Imagine walking into your local Metro store and forgetting about how Dominion ran the gig.

How about this? Ignore the profanity, edit it out yourselves and move on like it never existed:

I'll believe whatever I want.

Exactly. Passive aggressive arguments shouldn't change that for any of us.

Here is a simple rule, folks: Talk like as if you were talking to your mother.

Bad idea....you have never met my mother. She likes profanity...and lots of it.

That is fine.... so do I but... it is not the only idea.

Talk the way you would want to hear your future son-in-law talk to your daughter. Is that a better idea??

How do you know I have never met your mother?

Edited by Charles Anthony
added query

What words couldn't be heard on prime time TV...in Canada ?

Almost nothing. CBC drops F-bombs in prime-time from time to time.

Censoring words is on its way out as a social convention. They're just combinations of letters, and sounds you make with your mouth. The idea that certain ones are forbidden is ridiculously old-fashioned.

The idea that certain ones are forbidden is ridiculously old-fashioned.

Old and fashion are relative.

Talk like you were talking to your future mother-in-law (HINT: She is older than you.) before her husband agrees to give you her daughter's hand in marriage. Does that help?

How about talking like you were on a 1st date?

Talk like you were talking to your future mother-in-law (HINT: She is older than you.) before her husband agrees to give you her daughter's hand in marriage. Does that help?

People restrict their words on most online forums far more than they ever would in any of those situations, or just about any other real conversation -- it's an artificial construct.

I think an open discussion requires the ability to use any words that we choose. I've always felt that censorship of the offensive was a slippery slope. It appears to be getting more slippery.

But then you're one of those people who confuses criticism with censorship.

Avoid 4-letter words that either directly or indirectly refer to genitalia or genital action.

If there is still any mystery, send us a PM and we will send you that list leaving the debate to you and your own.

It appears to be getting more slippery.

LOL

I realize this may still be a debatable/controversial/offensive rule for some folks but suffice to say, that list is only 3 or 4 words long.

Do you spend a lot of time arguing about politics on first dates? Talking politics is an entirely different and more adversarial type of discussion than one engages in with mothers in law or dates.

Avoid 4-letter words that either directly or indirectly refer to genitalia or genital action.

If there is still any mystery, send us a PM and we will send you that list leaving the debate to you and your own.

LOL

I realize this may still be a debatable/controversial/offensive rule for some folks but suffice to say, that list is only 3 or 4 words long.

How about what bulls and horses leave behind in the paddock? Seems to me I've gotten at least one complaint from you for using such terms in the past.