The Dylann Roof thread

Boges

Maybe one day you'll be able to sue them for not installing devices that render cell phones inoperable or not installing hands free driving technology when it's available...things change.

If you could buy a gun that was incapable of killing a human being would you?

Love to see the cell phone thing, but then you would see folks sue them for not being able to phone an ambulance in the event of a crash.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question, if the tobacco companies can be sued for smokes harming people, could the gun companies also be sued? I can't really see it done in the US because they love their guns but I could see it else where in the world. Thoughts?

I wonder if if the legal focus might not be better shed on politicians who fail to provide sufficient laws to at least attempt control guns. In this particular case for instance, could well have purchased the gun that he gave to his son, who had felony charges against hi already, quite legally. Im sure bank robbers and the like will always be able to find a black market somewhere, but it seems there are a lot of loopholes which could, should be tightened up.

Love to see the cell phone thing, but then you would see folks sue them for not being able to phone an ambulance in the event of a crash.

Just program in a 911 emergency calling feature that overrides the blocker.

Edited by eyeball

Suing companies when their products are used to murder people sets a really bad precedent.

It was tried (in the 1990s) and largely failed (gun makers have since included trigger locks and clear safe operation manuals).......as I said, can we sue Ford if someone chooses to break the law with one of their products?

No, because such a thing is fantasy........the maker of the proposed "Smart-Gun" recently went bankrupt because their proposed technology didn't work, nor was there a market for it.......

Like I said the resistance will run deep and long...probably better that the government just be given the mandate to go get the guns by force.

It'll shorten the war and save thousands of lives.

Just program in a 9/11 emergency calling feature that overrides the blocker.

Let's do it! There was an article somewhere recently about a teacher who blocked cellphones in his classroom. Apparently he was punished by his local school board for it. Shame, I think it was great idea.

Edit> Sorry. I guess this is what is known as thread drift.

Edited by bcsapper

I wonder if if the legal focus might not be better shed on politicians who fail to provide sufficient laws to at least attempt control guns. In this particular case for instance, could well have purchased the gun that he gave to his son, who had felony charges against hi already, quite legally. Im sure bank robbers and the like will always be able to find a black market somewhere, but it seems there are a lot of loopholes which could, should be tightened up.

In the United States there are already countless laws, but, privacy advocates in the 1990s scuttled the inclusion of arrest records and mental health patient history within the FBI's NICS program, hence the NRA's withdrawal of support (in the late 1990s) for background checks for the sale of firearms.

Black market aside, going forward, 3D guns will make all forms of gun control (worldwide) moot..........

Like I said the resistance will run deep and long...probably better that the government just be given the mandate to go get the guns by force.

It'll shorten the war and save thousands of lives.

The British once tried that with American gun owners, didn't turn out to well for them.......

In the United States there are already countless laws, but, privacy advocates in the 1990s scuttled the inclusion of arrest records and mental health patient history within the FBI's NICS program, hence the NRA's withdrawal of support (in the late 1990s) for background checks for the sale of firearms.

Black market aside, going forward, 3D guns will make all forms of gun control (worldwide) moot..........

Given the number of guns in the US at the moment (last time I looked it was around 270000000, I think) any form of gun control introduced now would be pretty useless too.

Edited by bcsapper

The law in SC does require background checks by a gun dealer. However, and here comes the loophole, if I can legally purchase a gun, I can do so and give it to whoever I want without requiring any such check on their background.

Right, because actually addressing the causes of crimes and mental illness would be too difficult....

I suspect you're right because that would mostly entail creating an economically just world.

How well is the controls on recreational drugs working out again?

About the same as controls on alcohol and tobacco.

The only way to stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun, and such nonsense as that that they preach.

Every American, and most Canadians, has grown up on a steady stream of Hollywood spectacles which show exactly that, again and again and again. All Hollywood heroes brandish guns to save people from evil. Hollywood has created a mythical mysticism about American history too, to make the old west look like a place where evil reigned verywhere except for isolated pockets of strong, brave and heroic men with guns.

Given the number of guns in the US at the moment (last time I looked it was around 270000000, I think) any form of gun control introduced now would be pretty useless too.

Exactly, and a form like suggested by Eyeball would result in a short lived American Revolution..........as of those closer to 300 million firearms, less than 1% are in control of the State......Even in Canada, with 2 million plus legal gun owners, if only 1% opposed such measures, that would equate to ~20000 Monctons and Mayerthorpes.........

Every American, and most Canadians, has grown up on a steady stream of Hollywood spectacles which show exactly that, again and again and again. All Hollywood heroes brandish guns to save people from evil. Hollywood has created a mythical mysticism about American history too, to make the old west look like a place where evil reigned verywhere except for isolated pockets of strong, brave and heroic men with guns.

You don't say. I recall when this was brought up before , it was laughed at. The media controls and manipulates the weak minded. Call it propaganda, call it brainwashing......

I suspect you're right because that would mostly entail creating an economically just world.

Wouldn't that mean taking over control of a lot of third world countries which are basket cases being run by thugs and trying to set things right -- against the wishes of the locals?

You don't say. I recall when this was brought up before , it was laughed at. The media controls and manipulates the weak minded. Call it propaganda, call it brainwashing......

It's not a conspiracy. It's just how culture developed, particularly with TV And movies. People love drama, and murder is the ultimate drama, thus we get evil killers and then heroes with guns protecting us.

Yes and I for one have certainly seen my fair share of that stuff. However it worries me that some people cant seem to separate fact from fantasy.

It's not a conspiracy. It's just how culture developed, particularly with TV And movies. People love drama, and murder is the ultimate drama, thus we get evil killers and then heroes with guns protecting us.

A culture born out of violence only seems to breed more violence. This has been the USA's biggest export for some time now.