The Dylann Roof thread

Boges

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another sidebar on the whole black-on-black crime red herring: violent crime, including shootings, has been in decline for decades while mass shootings (typically perpetrated by white males) have tripled in frequency since 2011. Sure they are still comparatively rare, but it's something to think about. One other thing for the gun fappers to consider: the problems of mass shootings and violent crime involving firearms can be addressed with the same solution: gun control.

No......"gun control", though ineffective regardless, will be made moot in the years ahead......As "gun nuts" have been saying for years, if you actually want to address the problem, you need "people control", or better put, address the causes of both violence and mental illness.

It's just my opinion of course but unless you hunt to live then they are essentially expensive but useless objects.

A very astute point, as guns don't rob corner stores, nor commit mass shootings. Clearly criminals and the mentally ill do though, hence addressing the social-economic factors that create crime and lack of available mental healthcare services will reduce "gun violence".......and guns revert back to lowly tools and/or benign, inanimate objects....

incomplete lyrics from "The Great American Novel"

You kill a black man at midnight just for talking to your daughter,

Then you make his wife your mistress and you leave her without water;
And the sheet you wear upon your face is the sheet your children sleep on,
At every meal you say a prayer; you don't believe but still you keep on.

And your money says in God we trust,
But it's against the law to pray in school;
You say we beat the Russians to the moon,
And I say you starved your children to do it.

You are far across the ocean in a war that's not your own,
And while you're winning theirs, you're gonna lose the one at home;
Do you really think the only way to bring about the peace
Is to sacrifice your children and kill all your enemies?

The politicians all make speeches while the news men all take notes

and they exaggerate the issues as they shove them down our throats

is it really up to them whether this country sinks or floats

Well I wonder who would lead us if none of us would vote?

This is from about 1972 and it seems that little has changed.

Well just to be clear, apparently I have to explain this to you, I understand that 9 murders were committed, and charges laid. The discussion was about whether the gift of the gun was against the law. It may or may not be.

Straw man purchases of guns are against the law. Also a person convicted of a felony is forbidden by law to be in possession of a firearm at any time. Giving a person convicted of a felony a gun is also a crime. As is taking a firearm into a church. 4 to 5 gun laws broken at minimum.

Edited by Shady

Straw man purchases of guns are against the law. Also a person convicted of a felony is forbidden by law to be in possession of a firearm at any time. Giving a person convicted of a felony a gun is also a crime. As is taking a firearm into a church. 4 to 5 gun laws broken at minimum.

Umm, you re sort of right, but with lots of flaws. Purchasing a gun if you have felony charges (don't have to be convictions) is illegal, and the gun retailer is responsible to ensure you provide a background check prior to sale. If you legally owned the gun prior to the charges, you are allowed to keep the gun. Giving a gun to someone charged (again not convicted) is illegal, but ONLY if you knew those charges existed at the time, and there is no legal requirement to ask that person if you are giving, or even selling it to them privately. I suppose it may be unlikely the father did not know of the charges against his son, but not impossible. If the father knew of those charges, he could be facing a 10 year prison term, if he did not know, he has broken no law. There's a brief outline, and I would be careful about throwing the word ignorant around so freely toward others, before demonstrating your own.

"Terrorism is commonly defined as violent acts (or the threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for an economic,[1] religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians)."

As far as I am concerned there are three traits needed for this to be considered terrorism.

A. Must consist of violent acts.

B. Must target civilian population.

C. Must be in the name of or due to a religious, political or ideological goal.

This is a hate crime, and A and B are true in this case, but I'm not sure about C. What is the ideology? I'm not sure if racism counts as an ideology.

"Terrorism is commonly defined as violent acts (or the threat of violent acts) intended to create fear (terror), perpetrated for an economic,[1] religious, political, or ideological goal, and which deliberately target or disregard the safety of non-combatants (e.g., neutral military personnel or civilians)."

As far as I am concerned there are three traits needed for this to be considered terrorism.

A. Must consist of violent acts.

B. Must target civilian population.

C. Must be in the name of or due to a religious, political or ideological goal.

This is a hate crime, and A and B are true in this case, but I'm not sure about C. What is the ideology? I'm not sure if racism counts as an ideology.

I'm just reading about this now. "You have to go" sounds like a goal.

Question, if the tobacco companies can be sued for smokes harming people, could the gun companies also be sued? I can't really see it done in the US because they love their guns but I could see it else where in the world. Thoughts?

I fail to see why not. It'll likely take decades to wade through all the legal wrangling and political excuses and justifications promoting inaction but the precedent for holding manufacturers responsible for the harm their products cause is well established.

Going down that path might prompt the development of safe guns and even bullets that are incapable of being fired at a human being.

Edited by eyeball

Question, if the tobacco companies can be sued for smokes harming people, could the gun companies also be sued? I can't really see it done in the US because they love their guns but I could see it else where in the world. Thoughts?

No, not if their product is used to commit a criminal act, just as car companies can't be sued if people speed or drive drunk........Gun makers can only be sued for negligence: i.e. a faulty design blows up in someones hand, or a reasonable amount of diligence for user safety is not provided by the gun makers (and ammo makers) i.e. guns now come with a trigger lock, lawyerese printed over the gun and manual etc.

Are drivers of cars or drinkers of alcohol to blame for the near equal annual total of drunk driving deaths?

Nice attempt at separation. You should be saying drinking AND driving is to blame for drunk driving deaths. It's not the booze or the car, it is the person.

I fail to see why not. It'll likely take decades to wade through the all the excuses and justifications for inaction but the precedent for holding manufacturers responsible for the harm their products cause is well established.

Going down that path might prompt the development of safe guns and even bullets that are incapable of being fired at a human being.

The law........can you sue Ford or BMW if drivers of said cars text or drive drunk? Of course not.....

Can you sue Toyota (or Remington) if one of their products explodes during its intended and prescribed operation? You bet.

The law........can you sue Ford or BMW if drivers of said cars text or drive drunk? Of course not.....

Maybe one day you'll be able to sue them for not installing devices that render cell phones inoperable or not installing hands free driving technology when it's available...things change.

If you could buy a gun that was incapable of killing a human being would you?

Edited by eyeball

Maybe one day you'll be able to sue them for not installing devices that render cell phones inoperable or not installing hands free driving technology when it's available...things change.

Unlikely, as the advent of 3D technology has rendered such proposed technology moot.......hence if society desires to address gun violence, they will have to going forward address the actual causes, social-economical stresses that create crime and treatment for mental illness.

If you could buy a gun that was incapable of killing a human being would you?

No, because such a thing is fantasy........the maker of the proposed "Smart-Gun" recently went bankrupt because their proposed technology didn't work, nor was there a market for it.......