The Dylann Roof thread

Boges

Well, he seemingly articulated it simply enough.

Pretty run of the mill sentiments you see people making all the time with regards to race however the statement "you're taking over our country" does indicate the direction any search for the deeper cultural malaise these sentiments are rooted in might take.

What I don't understand is, if this guy wanted to shoot black people because of their criminality, why didn't he just become a cop?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, apparently the 100% irony content of my previous two posts was too high. Lesson learned.

I don't understand. If someone makes a silly comment in a sarcastic manner, one is just supposed to ignore it. Is it in the guidelines?

Does it apply to all silly comments?

I don't understand. If someone makes a silly comment in a sarcastic manner, one is just supposed to ignore it. Is it in the guidelines?

Does it apply to all silly comments?

Come on, it is common form of communication to treat serious issues facetiously. You missed the obvious sarcasm, suck it up and move on.

What I don't understand is, if this guy wanted to shoot black people because of their criminality, why didn't he just become a cop?

Bazinga! Unfortunately those jobs are hard to get. Typically black people make up a much smaller percentage of the police force, than the communities they patrol.

Come on, it is common form of communication to treat serious issues facetiously. You missed the obvious sarcasm, suck it up and move on.

I didn't see it as irony. I saw it as a smug nudge/wink to a like minded poster (no offense) with regards to the obvious bigotry of anyone who actually thinks muslims could be terrorists.

If that is the opposite of what MH had in mind, then I apologise, and I suck it up.

Moving on...

I am just hearing that he sat in this prayer meeting for a full hour before he opened fire. I wonder what was going on in his mind during that time. Getting up the courage, picking out his targets...who knows. Apparently he already had charges against him for drug trafficking and trespassing and was out on bail. I guess that's why daddy bought him a gun for his birthday. Great way to reward a criminal. And yes, I imagine the NRA will soon be out touting the idea of arming all the clergy of the country.Might as well get em some kevlar as well.

It seems that we certainly do consider Islamic extremism as terror, but right wing extremists like this white supremacist are somehow considered less severe or dangerous. Here is a good example; check out how senator Lindsey Graham responded to two extremists, both of whom are US citizens:

Boston attack:

"This man, in my view, should be designated as a potential enemy combatant and we should be allowed to question him for intelligence gathering purposes to find out about future attacks and terrorist organizations that may exist that he has knowledge of, and that evidence cannot be used against him in trial. That evidence is used to protect us as a nation."

Charleston attack:

I just think he was one of these whacked out kids. I don’t think it’s anything broader than that,” Graham said. “It’s about a young man who is obviously twisted.”

Edited by Mighty AC

Adam Gopnik at The New Yorker summed it up nicely, "Only in America are gun massacres of this kind routine, expectable, and certain to continue."

Ya I would go a little further than that.

http://jezebel.com/5969023/have-you-noticed-that-white-dudes-keep-mass-murdering-people

WWWTT

Fox News and the US right are already labeling this as Christian persecution and calling for churches to be armed. Yes, again they really believe the answer to a racist killing black people, with a gun given as a birthday present, is more guns!

Wow the whole Fox News said that? Dude!

The only way to stop a bad man with a gun, is a good man with a gun, and such nonsense as that that they preach.

Actually, a good man with a cricket bat and a decent pair of sneakers, approaching from behind, might have a shot.

Edited by bcsapper

Is it because anybody who is socially and/or fiscally conservative is automatically a racist?

How would you classify somebody who is socially liberal but fiscally conservative?

Does it mean that there is no progessive that is a racist?

I'm just curious as to how you arrive at these sweeping conclusions.

Because cops have been murdering an awful lot of black people in the streets without trial lately. Put some more guns in black people's hands and the cops have more convenient excuses for their extrajudicial killings. So one can only assume that the radical rightwing extremists only want to arm black people to the teeth to give the cops more reason to kill them. You sure as hell wouldn't see white upper class Republicans sleeping comfortably knowing there's a bunch of black people in their neighbourhoods fully armed and ready to defend themselves. So I assume they only want more confrontations between black people and the police, which usually end up with dead black people and exonerated murderer cops. Edited by cybercoma

Because cops have been murdering an awful lot of black people in the streets without trial lately. Put some more guns in black people's hands and the cops have more convenient excuses for their extrajudicial killings. So one can only assume that the radical rightwing extremists only want to arm black people to the teeth to give the cops more reason to kill them. You sure as hell wouldn't see white upper class Republicans sleeping comfortably knowing there's a bunch of black people in their neighbourhoods fully armed and ready to defend themselves. So I assume they only want more confrontations between black people and the police, which usually end up with dead black people and exonerated murderer cops.

Blacks are already armed, and can travel to whatever neighbourhoods they wish. Your rant is absurd and nonsensical.

It seems that we certainly do consider Islamic extremism as terror, but right wing extremists like this white supremacist are somehow considered less severe or dangerous. Here is a good example; check out how senator Lindsey Graham responded to two extremists, both of whom are US citizens:

Boston attack:

"This man, in my view, [/size]should be designated as a potential enemy combatant and we should be allowed to question him for intelligence gathering purposes to find out about future attacks and terrorist organizations that may exist that he has knowledge of, and that evidence cannot be used against him in trial. That evidence is used to protect us as a nation."[/size]

Charleston attack:

[/size]I just think he was one of these whacked out kids. I dont think its anything broader than that, Graham said. Its about a young man who is obviously twisted.[/size]

Where's your links? Edited by Shady