GTFO - Female Gamers

It was mentioned in the thread about the F35 female pilot that feminism is not needed anymore. Well, I would tend to disagree and I made some points in the thread 'In defense of the F Word'.

Here is another reason why women need to keep fighting to keep our issues at the forefront.

The GTFO (Get The F*** Out, You Are Not Welcome Here) documentary was created (by Shannon Sun-Higginson) to address the misogyny, trolling and discrimination that is prevalent in the online gaming community and to push back and show that female gamers have just as much right as men to participate.

The documentary focuses on the death threats, vile and incredibly violent harassment that female gamers are faced with everyday.

A great trailer of this documentary can be viewed here: http://gtfothemovie.com/

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everytime I hear these crazy things that gamers say to women online.

I think of a particular student I encountered who liked the computer as a safe place.

He was a terror with a long list of psychological diagnoses and didn't understand why women needed to be treated equally. I don't mean in the feminazi tumblr feminist sense, I mean he disagreed with them having the same treatement as men.

He was a poor soul with a tortured mind... but you'd only know that if you met him. Not through a computer screen.

The reality is that the computer is a safe place for most of this tortured minds. They get away from family there and people don't know who they are. So, I wonder how much of this 'male assault of females' is actually from people with psychological problems like ASD, ODD, Sociopathy, Borderline Personality Disorder, etc.

Disclaimer: I've played female characters and pretended to be female in text chat as an experiment. I didn't get harassed... but I did get a lot of free stuff given to me to help me out.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

As a gamer, I can only go from my experience. I've seen or heard none of that. When I plsyed WoW several years ago, our guild was comprised of several females. It was never an issue. Perhaps more military themed gaming is different. I don't know.

As a gamer, I can only go from my experience. I've seen or heard none of that. When I plsyed WoW several years ago, our guild was comprised of several females. It was never an issue. Perhaps more military themed gaming is different. I don't know.

I suggest you watch the documentary to educate yourself on the issues female gamers are up against. Maybe you can help these female gamers when they are being harassed.

Here is another reason why women need to keep fighting to keep our issues at the forefront.

Sigh, I've been reluctant to make threads on gender issues and/or go into much detail, but if you are going to spam threads on every trivial thing, I guess I should get serious because this false narrative propagated by you and mainstream Canadian society is greatly annoying me. You will now have an ideological war.

The GTFO (Get The F*** Out, You Are Not Welcome Here) documentary was created (by Shannon Sun-Higginson) to address the misogyny, trolling and discrimination that is prevalent in the online gaming community and to push back and show that female gamers have just as much right as men to participate.

Documentary? You mean propaganda film that preaches to the choir and propagates the false mainstream-media narrative of #gamergate and related issues?

The documentary focuses on the death threats, vile and incredibly violent harassment that female gamers are faced with everyday.

Let me guess, it involves Anita Sarkeesian.

Guess I should make a #gamergate and Anita Sarkeesian thread.

Edited by Michael Hardner
profanity

Sigh, I've been reluctant to make threads on gender issues and/or go into much detail, but if you are going to spam threads on every trivial thing, I guess I should get serious because this false narrative propagated by you and mainstream Canadian society is greatly annoying me. You will now have an ideological war.

Documentary? You mean propaganda film that preaches to the choir and propagates the false mainstream-media narrative of #gamergate and related issues?

Let me guess, it involves Anita Sarkeesian.

Guess I should make a #gamergate and Anita Sarkeesian thread.

Why do you think sexist abuse against women in the online gaming world is a trivial thing?

The documentary was created and produced by Shannon Sun-Higginson's and was recently previewed at the SXSW Film Festival and it dispels the myth that gamergate and Anita Sarkeesian are isolated incidents.

Do you want to know some stats on this issue? Well, I will tell you since you have obviously not read the link or viewed the trailer:

" More than 90% of teenage girls, and an ever-rising 48% of women in general, play videogames. Yet the notion persists that it’s a “guy thing,” not least among those guys who design and play them. This has repercussions on myriad levels, from the ridiculously low share (4%) of women programmers employed in the industry, to the almost inevitable depiction of female characters in games as over-the-top fantasy sexual objects with enormous breasts and minimal clothes. Despite the diversity of their audiences, companies that spend millions developing games are reluctant to stray from a commercially safe basic blueprint that targets the presumed tastes of straight white young-adult males. When they do mix it up a bit, there are howls of protest from those for whom “Grand Theft Auto” and its ilk are sacred texts not to be messed with."

Might be a difference between console and PC gamers. There are a few regular ladies that join us online on Saturday nights for TF2. But we generally run with good players who are not asshats, so most of our online experiences are good. Also it might be the type of games that are more susceptible to asshats.

I hesitated to use the 'F' word but I thought it was highly relevant to the documentary being discussed.

I thought you were playing on the 'Feminism' being the F-word.

Why do you think sexist abuse against women in the online gaming world is a trivial thing?

I never said that. Don't misrepresent my position.

The documentary was created and produced by Shannon Sun-Higginson's and was recently previewed at the SXSW Film Festival and it dispels the myth that gamergate and Anita Sarkeesian are isolated incidents.

Again, preaching to the choir. But I agree that they aren't isolated incidents. They are both very much a result of the SJWs trying to infiltrate the media, including gaming media, to spread their nonsense ideology.

Yet the notion persists that it’s a “guy thing,” not least among those guys who design and play them.

This notion exists primarily by non-gamers or by SJW ideologs that want sexism in 'gaming' to exist so that they have a cause to fight. This notion is propagated by the mainstream feminists & SJWs, not by #gamergate or its supporters.

from the ridiculously low share (4%) of women programmers employed in the industry

How about you and all the 3rd-wave-feminists take up programming then? It's very fun, I do it during my spare time.

to the almost inevitable depiction of female characters in games as over-the-top fantasy sexual objects with enormous breasts and minimal clothes.

Except there are many instances where females are not depicted this way and also instances were males are portrayed with unrealistic body forms. But when women are not portrayed in this way, 3rd-wave-feminists complain that the portrayal is 'repressing female sexuality'. For example, Anita Sarkeesian complained that Lara Croft from Tomb Raider was a sex object, but when a later game with a version of Lara Croft came out with smaller breasts and other features, Anita Sarkeesian complained that this was sexism because now female sexuality was being repressed. And if you make an extremely generic character with basically zero sexual traits that happens to be female, it is also sexist according to Anita Sarkeesian because it is now the 'men with boobs' game-trope.

Basically, there is no satisfying people like Anita Sarkeesian. Any portrayal of women is sexist because it either depicts women as 'sex objects', 'men with boobs' or is repressing female sexuality. But if games do not portray any women, then they are also sexist for not having enough female representation. Well, to be fair, Anita Sarkeesian recently admitted that there is 1 female character that she finds acceptable, meet the scythian:

1785254-the_scythian.png

The only way to satisfy people like Anita Sarkeesian is to pixilate all video game characters to the point where physical traits are unrecognizable.

companies that spend millions developing games are reluctant to stray from a commercially safe basic blueprint that targets the presumed tastes of straight white young-adult males.

Repeating SJW talking points over and over again doesn't make it true. Why are sony & nintendo based in Japan? Why is Korea the progaming capital of the world? White males are just one of many demographics that gaming companies cater to.

When they do mix it up a bit, there are howls of protest from those for whom “Grand Theft Auto” and its ilk are sacred texts not to be messed with.

Grand Theft Auto is 1 game and is hardly representative of games in the market place. Stop trying to lump all games together.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

Might be a difference between console and PC gamers. There are a few regular ladies that join us online on Saturday nights for TF2. But we generally run with good players who are not asshats, so most of our online experiences are good. Also it might be the type of games that are more susceptible to asshats.

Exactly. There are different types of games who play different genres of games. But these SJW ideologs can't see that and want to portray this narrative that gamers = straight white misogynistic males that play games like grand theft auto.

There are strategy-gamers, MMORPG-gamers, FPS-gamers, puzzle-gamers, gamers that prefer pc games, gamers that prefer console games, gamers that prefer indy games, gamers that prefer racing games, people that like games with good storylines, casual gamers that play things like angry birds, people that play only minecraft, people that play only pokemon, people that play only starcraft, people that play only counterstrike, etc. Not many people that play games would identify as just a 'gamer'; there are many subdivisions.

I never said that. Don't misrepresent my position.

Again, preaching to the choir. But I agree that they aren't isolated incidents. They are both very much a result of the SJWs trying to infiltrate the media, including gaming media, to spread their nonsense ideology.

This notion exists primarily by non-gamers or by SJW ideologs that want sexism in 'gaming' to exist so that they have a cause to fight. This notion is propagated by the mainstream feminists & SJWs, not by #gamergate or its supporters.

How about you and all the 3rd-wave-feminists take up programming then? It's very fun, I do it during my spare time.

Except there are many instances where females are not depicted this way and also instances were males are portrayed with unrealistic body forms. But when women are not portrayed in this way, 3rd-wave-feminists complain that the portrayal is 'repressing female sexuality'. For example, Anita Sarkeesian complained that Lara Croft from Tomb Raider was a sex object, but when a later game with a version of Lara Croft came out with smaller breasts and other features, Anita Sarkeesian complained that this was sexism because now female sexuality was being repressed. And if you make an extremely generic character with basically zero sexual traits that happens to be female, it is also sexist according to Anita Sarkeesian because it is now the 'men with boobs' game-trope.

Basically, there is no satisfying people like Anita Sarkeesian. Any portrayal of women is sexist because it either depicts women as 'sex objects', 'men with boobs' or is repressing female sexuality. But if games do not portray any women, then they are also sexist for not having enough female representation. Well, to be fair, Anita Sarkeesian recently admitted that there is 1 female character that she finds acceptable, meet the scythian:

1785254-the_scythian.png

The only way to satisfy people like Anita Sarkeesian is to pixilate all video game characters to the point where physical traits are unrecognizable.

Repeating SJW talking points over and over again doesn't make it true. Why are sony & nintendo based in Japan? Why is Korea the progaming capital of the world? White males are just one of many demographics that gaming companies cater to.

Grand Theft Auto is 1 game and is hardly representative of games in the market place. Stop trying to lump all games together.

I was a programmer for many years, probably more of an expertise than you'll ever be.

Btw have you watched the documentary? Probably not.

I was a programmer for many years, probably more of an expertise than you'll ever be.

Good for you. I hope you pass on some of your programming ability to your children.

Btw have you watched the documentary? Probably not.

I am aware of the SJW narrative with respect to #gamergate and related issues, and have been aware of Anita Sarkeesian's 'work' for years. I see no need to watch the propaganda film you refer to as a 'documentary'.

Now do you want to actually respond to what I write point by point?

Good for you. I hope you pass on some of your programming ability to your children.

I am aware of the SJW narrative with respect to #gamergate and related issues, and have been aware of Anita Sarkeesian's 'work' for years. I see no need to watch the propaganda film you refer to as a 'documentary'.

Now do you want to actually respond to what I write point by point?

You are missing the point of the documentary discussing violent sexist harassment towards female gamers. You go on and on about swj and other remarks where you are deflecting from the issue in the doc. If you do don't want to watch it and educate that's your loss.

And also, this doc isn't about Anita and was created and produced by another woman. Stop dropping Anita and gamergate into this thread.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

Please note that you should not post, nor quote profanity thanks.

Profanity is about in the real world. And from my experience, only a few (including me) break the profanity rule now and then. I believe linking profanity should not be an issue as long as the poster warns others when they post it. Simple thing to do.

That was tried by Atari back in the mid 1980s. Not many complained about it then. Because well, it looked like this..

custersrevengescreenshot.jpg

You still haven't responded to what I wrote earlier, but whatever.

I bothered to look at the trailer. I'll list two quotes from the trailer"

"active and regular abuse directed towards women"

"images of mutilated women's bodies"

There is also active and regular abuse directed towards men and images of mutilated men's bodies. I've received death threats, rape threats, insults, etc. while playing games, far worse than what is listed by the people in the trailer. It's not a female thing, it happens to both men and women. Actually, I recall that a recent pew survey in the UK found that men are more likely to receive online abuse than women.

What we are seeing is that a group of 3rd-wave-feminists that try to see sexism and misogyny everywhere are interpreting their online experience as being due to some misogynistic male conspiracy of misogynists that don't want females to play games, rather than it being something that both men and women experience.

There is also active and regular abuse directed towards men and images of mutilated men's bodies. I've received death threats, rape threats, insults, etc. while playing games, far worse than what is listed by the people in the trailer. It's not a female thing, it happens to both men and women. Actually, I recall that a recent pew survey in the UK found that men are more likely to receive online abuse than women.

What we are seeing is that a group of 3rd-wave-feminists that try to see sexism and misogyny everywhere are interpreting their online experience as being due to some misogynistic male conspiracy of misogynists that don't want females to play games, rather than it being something that both men and women experience.

Believe whatever you want. I'm not here to convince you. I'm only here to draw attention to the doc and the issues it covers. You can believe them or not. Doesn't matter to me. Whitewash them away if you like.

...as usual!